Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] When is a pop group no longer a group?

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Following on from the comment in the Argus calling the Beach Boys a tribute band despite having one founding member (Mike Love) and another (Bruce Johnston) who has been with them since 1965 plus the fact that Brian Wilson and David Marks also tour with them occasionally, at what point does a group stop being THE group? Are Queen still Queen without Freddie Mercury and John Deacon? and could Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr still call themselves the Beatles?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Dr Feelgood. No original members.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
if-its-me-and-yer-granny-on-bongos-its-the-fall-363308.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I remember going to see The Drifters with Johnnie Moore at Lakeside in Frimley some years ago, but at the same time one of my relatives was in Costa Del Sol watching what was advertised as the original Drifters and I mentioned it to a lady on the next table who was obviously with them and she said that any 1 member from the original group could form a group and use the name., Not sure of that is correct or not.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Roughly I'd say it was about the rule of One. The Rolling Stones replaced Bran Jones (and later replaced his replacement) but carried on being The Stones. The Searchers replaced Tony Jackson at the height of their fame, The Moody Blues replaced Denny Laine and Genesis carried on without Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd without Sid Barrett, AC/DC without Bon Scott. All fine.
The Who carried on after Moon died, but not really The Who since Entwistle died (one too many to satisfy the rule of One), although Townshend and Daltrey with backing musicians can put on a decent show. Queen managed pretty well with Paul Rodgers fronting them up.

Enough Beach Boys left to make it the real thing? Hmmm....highly dubious, IMHO. And as for McCartney and Ringo going out as The Beatles.......NO f**in' chance!

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
There are two Hawkwinds doing the rounds - one with no original members .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ah, the old Ship of Theseus paradox

See also Soft Machine, Thin Lizzy and Yes (and, doubtless, many more)

No, ta. Saw Soft Machine in 74, and Lizzy in 76. Call me old fashioned but a covers band is a covers band, innit. In other news I have been laughing at Yes since 1971. The tedious topographical twats. :lolol:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
If a band has been continually touring under the same name then surely they can claim to be the same band.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ah, the old Ship of Theseus paradox

See also Soft Machine, Thin Lizzy and Yes (and, doubtless, many more)

Don’t forget Sugarbabes

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here