Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Crystal Palace winger says he was sent death threats after Arsenal draw

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Crystal Palace forward Wilfried Zaha says he has been sent racist abuse and threats after winning a penalty in Sunday's 2-2 draw with Arsenal.

Zaha was tripped by makeshift left-back Granit Xhaka late on to allow Luka Milivojevic to equalise from the spot.

"For all the people taking it one step further and being racist and wishing death on my family, I wish you and your families the best too,"*he said.

"My life is still very good despite your hate."

After the match,*Xhaka said in a post-match television interview he thought the incident had been a "clear penalty".

Zaha may dive but this kind of behaviour from people is disgusting

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Surely a typo in the title of the thread and it should say "Crystal Palace whinger"??

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
He just loves a moan and a whine - I'm not saying the abuse is right, its not, but surely he must realise if he didn't continuously attempt to cheat as soon as he gets to the penalty area then fans from other clubs might respect him.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So Zaha has effectively sarcastically been racist back and offered death threats to multiple families through sarcasm. I hope the FA throw the book at him - 2 wrongs don’t make a right.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Absolutely agree with the OP.

Anyone who takes a decision in a game of football and escalates it to the level of a death threat and/or racial abuse is a cock who obviously has nothing better in their life to get angry about, and their opinion is therefore invalid.

Zaha is a swan diving, cheating, wind-blown-feather of a cheat who owns a chest that's magnetically attracted to turf - but the most I'd do is post that on here or the the piss about it to the few Cladding fans I know. Would I send it directly to him? No way. He's a professional footballer doing what he feels is best for him and his team, right or wrong. (Wrong, in my opinion).

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
"Look at me! Look at me!".

Hundreds of players get disgraceful abuse on social media every day. It's wrong and the racist, homophobic, anything over the line stuff should be reported and dealt with.

Most players see it as part of being massively paid and being in the public eye where anyone who says or does anything will be targeted by dicks.

Politicians, pop stars, actors. They all get it.

Zaha is a whining, cheating little girl who can't take ANYTHING.

Couldn't cut it at Man U "They didn't buy me a car WAAAAHHH!".

His diving wasn't fancied by England managers "Well go away cos I'm going to play for Ivory Coast instead you nasty men. WAAAAHHH!".

Dives constantly and nobody gets sent off for it "Why aren't I getting protected by referees?! WAAAAHHH!!!?!!?".

Dives yet again and gets grief on social media "It's not fair! Only I could be abused like this by these racists!!!! WAAAAHHH!!!!!! (Oh by the way I'm loaded because Palace pay me unbelievably stupid amounts of money, look at my car)".

What an absolute ****ing prick.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014

Hundreds of players get disgraceful abuse on social media every day. It's wrong and the racist, homophobic, anything over the line stuff should be reported and dealt with.

Most players see it as part of being massively paid and being in the public eye where anyone who says or does anything will be targeted by dicks.

His diving wasn't fancied by England managers "Well go away cos I'm going to play for Ivory Coast instead you nasty men. WAAAAHHH!".

Dives constantly and nobody gets sent off for it "Why aren't I getting protected by referees?! WAAAAHHH!!!?!!?".

Dives yet again and gets grief on social media "It's not fair! Only I could be abused like this by these racists!!!! WAAAAHHH!!!!!! (Oh by the way I'm loaded because Palace pay me unbelievably stupid amounts of money, look at my car)".

Zaha is awful but I think you've let Palace hatred get the better of you with this post. He's absolutely right to speak out if he's the target of racist abuse, no player should have to just see it as part of the job.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
At the risk of sounding controversial...So bleedin what? It’s part and parcel of being anyone remotely famous or infamous these days. Hasn’t anyone cottoned on yet such online ‘threats’ aren’t in anyway remotely to be taken seriously? Just angry idiots who’ve done well to log on given their IQs. Ignore, safe in the knowledge that such idiots would detonate themselves long before mastering the art of bomb making etc.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He just loves a moan and a whine - I'm not saying the abuse is right, its not, but surely he must realise if he didn't continuously attempt to cheat as soon as he gets to the penalty area then fans from other clubs might respect him.

Bollocks.

Death threats and racism are inexcusable.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
At the risk of sounding controversial...So bleedin what? It’s part and parcel of being anyone remotely famous or infamous these days. Hasn’t anyone cottoned on yet such online ‘threats’ aren’t in anyway remotely to be taken seriously? Just angry idiots who’ve done well to log on given their IQs. Ignore, safe in the knowledge that such idiots would detonate themselves long before mastering the art of bomb making etc.

No.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Absolutely agree with the OP.

Anyone who takes a decision in a game of football and escalates it to the level of a death threat and/or racial abuse is a cock who obviously has nothing better in their life to get angry about, and their opinion is therefore invalid.

Zaha is a swan diving, cheating, wind-blown-feather of a cheat who owns a chest that's magnetically attracted to turf - but the most I'd do is post that on here or the the piss about it to the few Cladding fans I know. Would I send it directly to him? No way. He's a professional footballer doing what he feels is best for him and his team, right or wrong. (Wrong, in my opinion).

This.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Zaha is awful but I think you've let Palace hatred get the better of you with this post. He's absolutely right to speak out if he's the target of racist abuse, no player should have to just see it as part of the job.

Meanwhile...in the real world...he absolutely should. The point being the internet allows billions of people to send abuse left right and centre each and every day in an instance from every corner of the planet to complete strangers, including those paid to play football. Now, you can take it personally and demand a police force bigger than the Chinese People’s Army investigate; and even then. Or you can ignore all of it because you have zero chance of getting 7 billion people to all be nice to one another whilst sharing this planet.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012

Fair enough, but death threats???????

I think it says more about the growing extreme nature of our society today than it does about Zaha.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Meanwhile...in the real world...he absolutely should. The point being the internet allows billions of people to send abuse left right and centre each and every day in an instance from every corner of the planet to complete strangers, including those paid to play football. Now, you can take it personally and demand a police force bigger than the Chinese People’s Army investigate; and even then. Or you can ignore all of it because you have zero chance of getting 7 billion people to all be nice to one another whilst sharing this planet.

………. and what if just one of those death threats is from someone who actually intends to do something about it?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It's not Palace hatred, my point was that (as I said) the racist (or any type of) abuse that oversteps the line is totally out of order and should be reported.

The problem is that this moaning, crying prick will do no favours to this happening to other people when he is the ultimate boy who cried wolf.

He has so many imagined wrongs against him that complaining about an actual one undermines those who are wronged in the same way every day, just by him crying about it.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
………. and what if just one of those death threats is from someone who actually intends to do something about it?
I have no stats to back this up but I'm pretty sure the ratio of death threats to Premier League players on social media v number of actual attempts on their lives will be something like 1000000:0.

Most ignore the internet nutters. Not "LOOK AT ME" Wilf as clearly he's convinced that the World is out to get him (booked for cheating).

The bigger picture that everyone seems to be ignoring is that this type of abuse, totally wrong and unacceptable as it is, happens EVERY day to MOST famous people. It's not right, it's just a fact.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
The problem is that this moaning, crying prick will do no favours to this happening to other people when he is the ultimate boy who cried wolf.

He cries wolf on the pitch like an absolute bell-end - but about racism and death threats off it? I can't comment as I don't follow him on social media (I'd rather dip my nuts in a deep fat fryer) but there's an element of him having to call it out, otherwise does it become acceptable?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's one thing when the crowd at the match is booing an opposition player, or shouting abuse on the lines of 'cheat' or 'w@nker', but there is no excuse or justification for racial abuse or threatening a player's family. That's despicable.
I'd be interested to know through what medium these threats were made, and which medium Zaha used for his replies - just from what I've read in that BBC article he seems to be replying and arguing back, which in itself is probably not the wisest thing to do - feeding the trolls and all that. I do suspect, however, that this is a case of internet trolling -which brings me to my point. Wouldn't it be a good idea for young footballers (some of whom won't always make the most mature decisions) to have it in their contracts not to go on social media at all, period. I know youngsters are pretty addicted to the mobile phones, Whatsap, Instagram, Twitter and lord knows what else - but for £40K, £80K, £100K or whatever they are getting per week would it be too much to ask? There's other ways of keeping in touch with families and friends, ffs!

I mean, how much a week would you take to stop using NSC? £50K a week and I'd certainly close my account here and now (smaller offers may be considered)!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here