Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Suzy Lamplugh - new develpment

Police are digging in a garden of a house in Sutton Coldfield that was once owned by John Cannan's mother, the man police named as the prime suspect in her murder who is currently serving three life sentences for murder, kidnapping and rape.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-46027522

If you read Prime Suspect - The True Story of John Cannan, The Only Man the Police Want to Investigate for the Murder of Suzy Lamplugh by Christopher Berry-Dee and Robin Odell you'll see why the police think he killed her. It's available on Kindle for £3.79 if you're interested.

Ive just seen on Wikipedia that in April 2001 a cellmate of Cannan's said Suzy's body was buried under the patio of his mother's house. Police are digging up this patio as we speak.

I wonder why it took them 17 years to get round to it?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Remember this story like yesterday and the Penny Bell one

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Ive just seen on Wikipedia that in April 2001 a cellmate of Cannan's said Suzy's body was buried under the patio of his mother's house. Police are digging up this patio as we speak.

They've searched the area before and are now searching a different area behind the house. I presume there was no actual evidence the patio has been disturbed.

Explained here:

They've searched the area before and are now searching a different area behind the house. I presume there was no actual evidence the patio has been disturbed.

Explained here:

Fair enough. Lets hope they find something this time. And if they do, hopefully they will be able to link it to Cannan. Technically he is able to apply for parole in a few years time although I'd be amazed if he was ever released.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

To get multiple foreign holidays/assignments to the Med to investigate? :shrug: Oops wrong case, thought it was Madelaine McCann.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I know the ex Chairman of the Suzy Lamplugh Trust very well - for a while he was a mentor of mine. Some of the stories he told, both about this case and others, were genuinely horrifying. I hope the latest investigations do bring some facts to light, thus hopefully providing some very belated closure to the family.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The family need closure, its been reported the Police dug up a different part of the same garden several years ago, surely they should have done everything back then just to eliminate the location from their enquiry?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The family need closure, its been reported the Police dug up a different part of the same garden several years ago, surely they should have done everything back then just to eliminate the location from their enquiry?

According to the article, they are digging underneath the garage now.

Unfortunately for the family both her mother and father died not knowing.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Fair enough. Lets hope they find something this time. And if they do, hopefully they will be able to link it to Cannan. Technically he is able to apply for parole in a few years time although I'd be amazed if he was ever released.

With any luck they will have the evidence to charge him for Suzy Lamplugh by the time that situation comes about, and can send him down for another stretch.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm not sure how much they would be prepared to dig up with little evidence.

Apparently new information has come to like and they digging beneath the concrete foundations of a garage.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

TimWatt

Feb 13, 2011
Richmond

Although I cannot imagine the full impact of such horrible circumstances, I find the whole concept of "closure" in such a situation as completely meaningless.

Obviously, full and proper justice may provide some grim satisfaction, be it in terms of revenge through loss of liberty for the perpetrator perhaps and, more meaningfully, reassurance that a crime won't be recommitted — but any possibility of "closure" to murder of a loved one I find unlikely, and potentially damaging if it's implied that's the expected feeling.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Although I cannot imagine the full impact of such horrible circumstances, I find the whole concept of "closure" in such a situation as completely meaningless.

Obviously, full and proper justice may provide some grim satisfaction, be it in terms of revenge through loss of liberty for the perpetrator perhaps and, more meaningfully, reassurance that a crime won't be recommitted — but any possibility of "closure" to murder of a loved one I find unlikely, and potentially damaging if it's implied that's the expected feeling.

Closure in the sense of 1) we know where she was buried (and that she is dead), 2) extra evidence might be available to convict the perpetrator and 3) we can have a proper funeral.

Not in the sense of “well it’s all ok now”

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Closure in the sense of 1) we know where she was buried (and that she is dead), 2) extra evidence might be available to convict the perpetrator and 3) we can have a proper funeral.

Not in the sense of “well it’s all ok now”
I guess most of us (thankfully) will never understand what "closure" in this type of situation really means. It's not something that you can comprehend until it's you.

I think your definition is right btw but fortunately I don't know.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here