Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Earthquakes.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Happen to be in New Zealand at the moment and this afternoon the North Island was hit by a 6.2 tremor and have say having never felt one before it's unreal a gentle rumble gradually builds up and a steady shake matchs it building up the tremor. To see fixtures and fittings shake around and items fall off shelves etc is a little different. Only lasted around 30 seconds and shortly afterwards we went out and it was all the talk. However I pointed out that the British way of handling this was to go to the bar which we duly did.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Happen to be in New Zealand at the moment and this afternoon the North Island was hit by a 6.2 tremor and have say having never felt one before it's unreal a gentle rumble gradually builds up and a steady shake matchs it building up the tremor. To see fixtures and fittings shake around and items fall off shelves etc is a little different. Only lasted around 30 seconds and shortly afterwards we went out and it was all the talk. However I pointed out that the British way of handling this was to go to the bar which we duly did.

I live an hour north of Wellington on the Kapiti coast and felt it pretty good . We arrived here 2 years ago and within 2 weeks had a big one . I didn't have a clue what was going on as we were asleep and had never felt one before. The one in 2016 was pretty violent with aftershocks for weeks after. This one felt like a big jolt for a couple of seconds then a smaller one later on. The one in 2016 went on for a couple mins!!

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

When we had the big tsunami quake I was lucky that I was working walking distance from the shared house I was staying in (with 2 other Brits and an Irishman). Quake hit at just before 3pm. We were all in the local bar by 5 watching the news footage on the TV. It didn't really hit home til I saw the Tsunami footage on the TV in that bar. Also we were getting aftershocks every 10 mins or so. These mini quakes lasted about 3 weeks and then gradually faded.

I gather that the Kiwis tend to struggle with the relatively weaker quakes because many of their buildings are of the British style bricks and mortar type, which don't deal with quakes very well.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
There was one in Crawley a few months ago and i really felt it.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Staying in a wooden elevated bungalow and,yes it certainly wobbled looking out the window the ground/garden appeared stationary it was the bungalow shaking!!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
They are the most eerie things, got little ones quite frequently in Bali and elsewhere in Indonesia. I particularly don't like it when you're on the 20th floor of a hotel and you just have to go with the sway

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
However I pointed out that the British way of handling this was to go to the bar which we duly did.

We were on holiday in Sri Lanka in 2012 in the pool at the hotel when one morning the water in the pool started to go choppy, like a small wave machine had been activated. About fifteen minutes later the hotel staff instructed everybody to go to reception where we were told there had been a big earthquake in Indonesia. There had been no tsunami alerts yet but we all had a choice to evacuate inland or stay at the hotel. The Russians, the Germans and other all rushed off, we were right on the coast and it was quite a long way to higher ground, but the Brits stayed with the hotel staff. The hotel was two floors with external walkways between the rooms on the first floor. We quickly packed our cases and moved them to a first floor room and then we sat on the floors of the first floor walkways drinking wine and beer and eating cakes and crisps while the staff nipped downstairs to the bar to re-stock every so often.

After a couple of hours the all clear was given, thankfully the plates shifted in a way that seawater wasn't displaced, it was 8.6 compared to the 9.1 of the boxing day one so the power was there but not the effect. Some time late that evening the non-Brits arrived back again.

Was a bit scary at the time but the staff told us that the hotel survived the big boxing day tsunami as the water just followed though the ground floor and people were safe on the first floor.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Have you not tried the Earthquake Machine at Garden Paradise in Newhaven? Good training for what you have just experienced.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
We were on holiday in Sri Lanka in 2012 in the pool at the hotel when one morning the water in the pool started to go choppy, like a small wave machine had been activated. About fifteen minutes later the hotel staff instructed everybody to go to reception where we were told there had been a big earthquake in Indonesia. There had been no tsunami alerts yet but we all had a choice to evacuate inland or stay at the hotel. The Russians, the Germans and other all rushed off, we were right on the coast and it was quite a long way to higher ground, but the Brits stayed with the hotel staff. The hotel was two floors with external walkways between the rooms on the first floor. We quickly packed our cases and moved them to a first floor room and then we sat on the floors of the first floor walkways drinking wine and beer and eating cakes and crisps while the staff nipped downstairs to the bar to re-stock every so often.

After a couple of hours the all clear was given, thankfully the plates shifted in a way that seawater wasn't displaced, it was 8.6 compared to the 9.1 of the boxing day one so the power was there but not the effect. Some time late that evening the non-Brits arrived back again.

Was a bit scary at the time but the staff told us that the hotel survived the big boxing day tsunami as the water just followed though the ground floor and people were safe on the first floor.

This was true in Japan after the Tohoku quake as well. The main demographic of foreigners that stayed behind with the locals in my social group were Brits (and Irish). My American/Canadian/Anitpodean friends were extremely vulnerable to baseless rumour mongering among the expat community regarding the Fukushima power plant situation. I had no intention of leaving as I had a girlfriend I didn't want to leave behind. I knew some people who even left their wives and kids behind (Americans in every case) and hot footed it out of the country. One of those never came back and ultimately his wife and kids went to join him in Texas. Where it's obviously a much safer place to raise a family. :guns:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here