Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Decorating (painting) advice please

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Evening all. Have stripped the hideous wallpaper from the end of the kitchen-diner. There's bare plaster underneath. I've got as much of the old wallpaper paste off as possible using a sponge scourer and warm water. Do i need to prep the surface at all (watered down emulsion?) Or can I paint straight onto it?

20181029_185655.jpg

PS I got the paint from Seagulls Paint (Yes really) who are fantastic, for anyone who is up this way. 10 litres of mostly farrow and ball, colour-matched, for £18.

http://seagullsreuse.org.uk/paint/

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Evening all. Have stripped the hideous wallpaper from the end of the kitchen-diner. There's bare plaster underneath. I've got as much of the old wallpaper paste off as possible using a sponge scourer and warm water. Do i need to prep the surface at all (watered down emulsion?) Or can I paint straight onto it?

View attachment 101722

PS I got the paint from Seagulls Paint (Yes really) who are fantastic, for anyone who is up this way. 10 litres of mostly farrow and ball, colour-matched, for £18.

Prep as you say with a mist coat.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Give it another wash down with sugar soap. Any paste residue is going to affect your finish.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

View attachment 101722

Seagulls paint? Is it blue and white stripes?

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Same boat , paid a decorator , he whitewashed the fresh plaster , took 3 coats before he painted the undercoat then emulsioned , i was suprised how quickly the walls sucked up the whitewash and it wasn't until coat 3 you could really tell the walls were white at all , don't scrimp on the whitewashing , the decorator used a 50/50 mix of paint and water for the whitewashing

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
whats all this talk of undercoat ?

IF all the paste is off then a thinned coat of emulsion goes on first , you will then need a second and probably a third coat to get a nice consistent finish. That first coat is important, get it wrong and emulsion paint can peel off.

what state is your plaster?

Note you can buy an emulsion primer paint if you don't know how to thin it properly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here