Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Spreadsheet Phil's Budget

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i expect lots of tinkering round the edges, one or two headline grabbers. seems to have trailed stuff about social care and business rates reductions. nothing bold or radical.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
A budget short on firm commitments. Hard to see what else he can do until he knows how Brexit is going to play out. Some money to address the shambles that is universal credit, some rehashing of previous spending, and some limited reflation of the economy I would imagine. That's about it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I expect another kick-in-the-teeth for the disadvantaged and the vulnerable, and some hand outs to their mates. Same old.....

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
A budget short on firm commitments. Hard to see what else he can do until he knows how Brexit is going to play out. Some money to address the shambles that is universal credit, some rehashing of previous spending, and some limited reflation of the economy I would imagine. That's about it.

Universal credit is a good shout, I can see him bigging up the £51 million given to CAB, that has already been announced, to help sort out the shambles and hardship it’s going to cause.

He may even paper over the cracks regarding the lie of no transition losses.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I think he'll cover off more on second homes / buy-to-let market and more support for UC.

As surprises go I think he'll introduce additional incentives around EIS, SEIS and EMI schemes, but more from an employee involvement perspective "enhanced" EMI and around EIS /SEIS possible a PAYE led option?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And I wonder how long the first u-turn will take this time? 36 hours is my guess.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I think he'll cover off more on second homes / buy-to-let market and more support for UC.

As surprises go I think he'll introduce additional incentives around EIS, SEIS and EMI schemes, but more from an employee involvement perspective "enhanced" EMI and around EIS /SEIS possible a PAYE led option?

Nope. Didn't understand any of that. Sorry.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Apparently he’s going to announce an extra £2Bn for mental health, targeting A&E acute care; and kids/adolescents, by ensuring every school has a mental health care unit on site.

I hope that’s true.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003

??? fick me, you playing scrabble or countdown???

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Expansion of the (relatively) recent public sector IR35 changes to the private sector is a stone-cold nailed-on dead-cert.

apparently worked really badly for public sector... oh... yeah they'll expand it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here