Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Three at the back

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
3 clean sheets in 3 games, yes let’s switch it up to three at the back, what could go wrong?!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Wish people would engage their brains.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
3 clean sheets in 3 games, yes let’s switch it up to three at the back, what could go wrong?!

3 at the back is
Hyypia suicide tactics and the reason why Wolves lost.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
3 games where we were under the kosh for most of the 90 minutes, where we struggle to take control of the game, or impose ourselves on it. A bit of skill from for our opponents, a bit of bad luck for us, and this type of play won't win us much. Maybe something different could lead to us controlling the game more, keeping a clean sheet, scoring more goals.

Yeah, 3 wins, 3 clean sheets. Results are good, but lets not assume we've nailed this football lark. Easy street from now on. Let's just keep on keeping on. We should always be open to other ideas, potential improvement, maybe a bit more entertainment, maybe a bit more comfort, maybe a few more points in games that we wouldn't get them in playing the way we do...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
3 at the back is
Hyypia suicide tactics and the reason why Wolves lost.

ryan.JPG

No, sir, this is the reason Wolves lost.

kentgully

Jan 10, 2016
Worthing
3 games where we were under the kosh for most of the 90 minutes, where we struggle to take control of the game, or impose ourselves on it. A bit of skill from for our opponents, a bit of bad luck for us, and this type of play won't win us much. Maybe something different could lead to us controlling the game more, keeping a clean sheet, scoring more goals.

Yeah, 3 wins, 3 clean sheets. Results are good, but lets not assume we've nailed this football lark. Easy street from now on. Let's just keep on keeping on. We should always be open to other ideas, potential improvement, maybe a bit more entertainment, maybe a bit more comfort, maybe a few more points in games that we wouldn't get them in playing the way we do...

Someone's who's engaged their brain

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
As far as I'm concerned, piss-farting about with defence is our lowest priority. I think CH has nailed that, and it's time to look further up the pitch.

I think the arrival of Dan Ashworth will give CH a great brain to bounce off and some good things will come of it.

kentgully

Jan 10, 2016
Worthing
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8647264 said:
We also don't have enough first team CBs in the squad* to risk playing 3 at the back.

*Please don't mention Bruno or Bernardo as possible CBs
I might be mistaken, don't we have a Nigerian international

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
We tried it once last season. Remember?
Duffy would probably struggle in a back three.
Dunk would need to be in the middle.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We tried it once last season. Remember?
Duffy would probably struggle in a back three.
Dunk would need to be in the middle.

We tried Ryan in goal once last season. Didn't work out, we lost 2-0 to Man City. We tried it again, lost 2-0 to Leicester. Tried it again still couldn't win v Watford. Eventually got a win v Wet Brom. Still conceded though.

Sometimes things need more than one match. That 3 at the back was, from what I remember, against one of the big guns, Chelsea? Tottenham? Not sure our current game plan would work against them either.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Mental idea.

I’d suggest actually playing someone in the No10 role who has a clue how to play it and therefore improve our ball retention.

But of course having Bong has a wing back who is great defensively but poor going forward is totally the answer

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I just can't understand why our **** fans always think they know better than the most succesful manager in most of our lifetimes. It's extraordinary.

What about all those managers more successful than Hughton that don't use his same tactics? That don't have his approach to football? Yeah, Hughton has brought massive success to our club, again I say, it doesn't mean he's nailed this football lark. One of the great things about football is the myriad ways there are to play the game. Preferring one of these other approaches isn't considering yourself to know more than someone who prefers another style. Who knows what Hyypia or Gus, Or Adams or Slade or any of our previous managers would have done with a squad of this quality. They didn't have that, Hughton does. Hughton uses them the way he prefers to use them. I'm sure he would freely admit other managers may use them differently. At this moment in time, we can't say how successful those other approaches would be.

It isn't about 'knowing more' it's about personal preference, whether a fan, or an alternative manager.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Isn't defensive stability a building block to success.

But yes lets go to a back three, which would mean dropping both Bruno and Bong, and then having a different relationship with the wide players and the wing backs., which rather than taking us a step forward will be two steps back.

If you want us to play 3-5-2 I suggest you email CH at the club, as I'm sure he will take on board your detailed thinking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here