Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Interesting. chat in the bar

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Was chatting in the bar with some very complimentary guys about the Albion and our impact on the premier lastnight.

We were joined by a Norwich dan who had been following our results and the write ups in the press.

He said. Are you all getting pissed off with hughtons style of footy yet?

He was saying that although they were initially getting the results, the style of football was turning so many people off that they ended up calling for his head as it was so boring , negative and defensive.

I said we hadn’t gone that far although it was frustrating that once we score we hit defence mode and seem to spend the rest of the game hanging on!!!

It is a difficult balance to strike being entertaining and getting results

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Can’t deny it wasn’t the most entertaining game I’ve ever watched but it’s a result driven business and like it or not it’s working for us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I know a Norwich fan who absolutely hates us, and Chris. I think it goes a bit beyond jealousy, he dislikes us more than he dislikes Ipswich.
Strange really, when I asked him why, he would just say, shit club, shit manager. It was funny having a pint with him in the away end after we tonked them 5-0 though.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The conversation reminded me a bit f the same ones we were having about Mike Bailey last time we were in the top division.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I was very entertained with the style of football in the two seasons in the championship. When your up against better teams in the premiership there's a fine line from being entertaining and suicidal.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Said it on another thread. A small group in the North stand were getting really angry yesterday. Berating the negativity, lack of substitutions etc. Two chants they tried to start, but amazingly didn't catch on, were 'Chrissy Hughton, we're supposed to be at home' and 'Chrissy Hughton is a tosser'. We were of course 1-0 up at the time.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
The conversation reminded me a bit f the same ones we were having about Mike Bailey last time we were in the top division.

...when we were in our highest ever position.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
We are the finest exponents of team defensive football in the PL. it’s bloody exciting seeing our resilience and resolve. Not good for the stress levels but no one (surely) can say that wasn’t an amazing last 10 minutes

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Said it on another thread. A small group in the North stand were getting really angry yesterday. Berating the negativity, lack of substitutions etc. Two chants they tried to start, but amazingly didn't catch on, were 'Chrissy Hughton, we're supposed to be at home' and 'Chrissy Hughton is a tosser'. We were of course 1-0 up at the time.
Guarantee they have never followed the Albion in leagues 1&2 then. Three straight PL leagues wins is a dream for many of us who have.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I know a Norwich fan who absolutely hates us, and Chris. I think it goes a bit beyond jealousy, he dislikes us more than he dislikes Ipswich.
Strange really, when I asked him why, he would just say, shit club, shit manager. It was funny having a pint with him in the away end after we tonked them 5-0 though.

Same here. I know a Norwich fanatic who moved here for Uni 30 years ago and settled in the area. He hates BHA & Ipswich, and was desparate for us to always fail at promotion to the PL. His Albion hatred I think stems from meeting so many Albion fans through business and enjoying Schadenfreude when things go wrong for them all.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
If we'd thrown caution to the winds and tried to be an expansive, gung-ho attacking Flairista FC yesterday with the personnel we have, we probably would have lost by 3 or 4 goals. A team built on defensive solidity and not conceding may not always be the most exciting, but I'd far rather be that than bouncing along the bottom with Huddersfield and leaking more goals than Fulham.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill

WTF.. Really..? Some people.. :wozza:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It's going to take a long time for the moaners to realise that the club's main strategy is to stay in the PL, become an established club, then we can dream of becoming a big club like Palarse! :lolol:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
We do have some exceptionally thick fans so it is inevitable he will start getting some flack for the defensive football. Fortunately Tony Bloom isn’t one of those so thankfully it’ll be an utter irrelevance.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
It’s a results business. Three wins in a row. End of discussion.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We are the finest exponents of team defensive football in the PL. it’s bloody exciting seeing our resilience and resolve. Not good for the stress levels but no one (surely) can say that wasn’t an amazing last 10 minutes

The stress levels would be far higher if Wolves and West Ham were beating us 3-0 at The Amex after we opened up. The stadium would be half empty on 75 minutes.

When we can afford to pay the agents fees and wages commanded by the likes of Lerma, Felipe Anderson, Neves, Moutinho; then you’ll see us take control of the ball and less of Alamo tactics.

CH is doing a great job of the limited midfield options available.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
It's nerve shredding but I'm actually enjoying how we are playing at the moment - we are playing pragmatically and to our current strengths. Makes complete sense

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here