Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] OK North Standers, what was the excuse today?

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
A record crowd at the Amex and the team with their backs against the wall; the North Stand hardly raised a chant in the first half and were absent most of the time the players needed a lift. What was the problem, was it a case of just couldn't be bothered?

Last edited:

Pickles

May 5, 2014
A record crowd at the Amex and the team with their backs against the wall; the North Stand hardly raised a chant in the first half and were absent most of the time the players needed a lift. What was the problem was it a case of just couldn't be bothered?

The North stand isn't big enough.

I've been in most parts on match days, and they try, but it's not just big enough.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
A record crowd at the Amex and the team with their backs against the wall; the North Stand hardly raised a chant in the first half and were absent most of the time the players needed a lift. What was the problem, was it a case of just couldn't be bothered?
Yawn. I am WSU but what a twattish thread to start.

We had ONE shot on target and that didn't come until the second half...!!

There are only a handful of grounds in the country where the home noise would have been much better under those circumstances. The Amex is good but it's not THAT good...

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

I'm scared of the NSC song police

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
It wasn't as bad as you make out. I don't know what you expect anyway, we were so poor first half and not much better second on the whole - barely strung two passes together.

At the start of the second half the wolves fans went quiet when we went 1 up and (briefly) got a foothold in the game. In this country, like it or not, we as fans generally react more and involve ourselves in what's going on on the pitch

As an aside, how was it a record attendance?! Added a couple more seats??

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

There are only a handful of grounds in the country where the home noise would have been much better under those circumstances. The Amex is good but it's not THAT good...

To be fair though the atmosphere never got started. Not to blame anyone - but I never really understand why some matches the atmosphere seems electric from the word go and some it just seems flat. Yesterday was a flat one and you could sort of tell even in the 10 mins before kick off and it's not just a north stand issue. Was it too cold, the opposition, certain fans not being there? Don't know but it does seem that sometimes the atmosphere is just organically great but yesterday wasn't one of them. Obviously the match itself plays it's part and it didn't help yesterday.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Barely any seats used as barriers between home and away sections in the South so I guess that released more seats for sale than ususal.

Plenty of empty seats though, so I suspect the ground has been fuller!

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
After effects of Worthing Beer Festival?
Seriously though, plenty of singing in our part of the North but it did feel a bit 'meh' atmosphere-wise. No idea why - maybe we needed a bit more to get excited about on the pitch, apart from Glenn's milestone? :shrug:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Barely any seats used as barriers between home and away sections in the South so I guess that released more seats for sale than ususal.

Plenty of empty seats though, so I suspect the ground has been fuller!

And an Amex record pretendence announced as well. We'd like to thank all you empty seats for your support...

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon

While you are at it why not start a thread about the West, East and South.
Stupid thread.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Our support was typified by the Wolves fans signing their version of Knockaert's chant, and one other that escapes me, for the North Stand to then take them over.

We are and always have been reactive supporters.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Our support was typified by the Wolves fans signing their version of Knockaert's chant, and one other that escapes me, for the North Stand to then take them over.

I could not understand their Northern accents. What were Wolves saying?

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I could not understand their Northern accents. What were Wolves saying?

:shrug:

I struggle with the Horsham accent.

'We've got £100m team
A £100m team
I just don't think you understand
They cost 100 mill
We will beat you dils
We've got £100m team'.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

That isn't the issue. The issue is that we have 3/4s of our support (South, West and East) that derive their own singing, when they do sing, from the North stand. The North stand itself is split into two main singing groups in either corner who tend to lead the singing (and you need someone to lead it, whatever anyone says, otherwise you just end up starting a song on your own). To get this sorted we need to ideally move the two groups in the two corners together and probably get them a drum or something like that to make their songs a bit noisier for everyone else to hear.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

It was actually the other way round for the Knockhaert song. We started singing it when he was warming up and they took over with their version.

The other one that you can't remember, I reckon you fell asleep and dreamt it and that's why the detail is missing from the story!

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

I really don't think we're any more or less reactive than other clubs. Sometimes the atmosphere at the Amex is fantastic, and our home support has been praised a lot since being in the prem. Sometimes it is a little flat though, as at every ground up and down the country. Yesterday was one of those days, but we really were poor despite the win. One shot on target! Second half after we scored I think anxiety took over more than anything!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
To be fair no trains between three bridges and Brighton probably lead to many of the empty seats

Did the club run any special buses from these sites? If this is part of the reason then they will need to address it in some shape or another.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It was actually the other way round for the Knockhaert song. We started singing it when he was warming up and they took over with their version.

The other one that you can't remember, I reckon you fell asleep and dreamt it and that's why the detail is missing from the story!
Sorry but that's not the case on any one of the numerous times it was sung, with the exception of when he came on.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Brilliant post. The match circumstances drive the crowd.

I had SSN on, and Merson was creaming himself from the first minute: "Wolves destroying them" "Only one team in it' "Only a matter of time" "Brighton just can't get the ball" "Brighton's attempted counter attacks are failing".

As witnessed by 28,000 Albion fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here