Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Earthquakes a week after fracking commences...

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Between 200 and 300 earthquakes are detected and located in the UK, by the British Geological Survey annually.

So this could simply be a case of someone taking an example of something that was going to happen anyway and trying to link it to something else, claiming that the something else is entirely what has caused it purely because they are opposed to whatever was happening and are trying to find any little thing they can to undermine it and try to get it stopped

For reference, the NEIC locates about 12,000–14,000 earthquakes each year. Magnitude 2 and smaller earthquakes occur several hundred times a day world wide. Major earthquakes, greater than magnitude 7, happen more than once per month.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
large areas in the U.S & AUS have been compromised by fracking and shallow mining ......humans ....tsk...!! solar panels , wind farms , tide harnessing....silent , inert , green......prrfft...!!
:shrug::shrug::moo:

perhaps if they get a decent one like they had in Nepal or Lombok they may change their outlook.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It’s the disposal wells that cause quakes , not the fracking itself and these are gaining in magnitude and frequency.
It’s terrible for the environment.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
It’s the disposal wells that cause quakes , not the fracking itself and these are gaining in magnitude and frequency.
It’s terrible for the environment.

You seem quite passionate Clamp, what you gonna do, head up for protests, organise petitions, maybe a trip to Parliament or even do some leaflets and distribute them this afternoon?

Come on be a doer rather than a talker[emoji106]

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

A classic case of correlation being confused with cause. Totally unscientific.

There is an argument to be had around fracking though. In the "terrible for the environment" corner is the fact that we are unsure of the long term impacts on sites and that it returns us to a reliance on fossil fuels over green, renewable energy like wind, solar etc. In the "mitigates risks for us" corner it has the potential to totally reduce the reliance on those pesky Ruskies for piped gas. So far no one has been able to convince me either way.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Of all the forms of energy production I think this one worries me most as we can’t actually see what damage is being done. We have had some warnings that recomposing the ground may have an impact on the environment and potential for earthquakes. I would rather they stick up a few more turbines or made it compulsory for new builds to have solar panels. They don’t look great but aesthetics won’t endanger the planet.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Of all the forms of energy production I think this one worries me most as we can’t actually see what damage is being done. We have had some warnings that recomposing the ground may have an impact on the environment and potential for earthquakes. I would rather they stick up a few more turbines or made it compulsory for new builds to have solar panels. They don’t look great but aesthetics won’t endanger the planet.

I wonder how much of that was also said when oil exploration started?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
A classic case of correlation being confused with cause. Totally unscientific.

There is an argument to be had around fracking though. In the "terrible for the environment" corner is the fact that we are unsure of the long term impacts on sites and that it returns us to a reliance on fossil fuels over green, renewable energy like wind, solar etc. In the "mitigates risks for us" corner it has the potential to totally reduce the reliance on those pesky Ruskies for piped gas. So far no one has been able to convince me either way.

They are keeping multiple options available for energy production so others can step up or maintain energy production should one or more power sources become compromised, oil and coal may not last much longer so alternatives are needed and fracking is one such option

Having a mix for energy sources helps to ensure a continuing supply of power - basically there are plenty of back up alternatives to produce the power this country needs in the event one or more sources are compromised (ie no wind meaning no power from wind farms, or short days which are overcast and have very little sun, affecting solar production - especially as a dull day will mean even more power usage)

It's like saying that if you were travelling to work, if your only options were to go in by car or by train and then the trains went on strike and your car breaks down (& will take a while for it to be fixed), you are stuck and cant work (lost wages, lost productivity, etc). By introducing more alternatives, such as cycling, walking, getting a lift / taxi, bus, etc, should one or more options become unavailable, there are other ways to continue to get to work in the event of no car and lack of trains - it's a sensible approach

What is also needed are improvements to how long and how much power can be stored for future use and that too is being developed but not that easy to do (battery technology is very limited and to be able to store, say, solar power from the summer to use in the winter if extremely difficult)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
utterly stupid to set a limit of 0.5 and it didnt even hit that. this is a list of quakes in the past 100 days in UK.
anyone so concerned on the envrionmental effects of this, get off your computer as you're having larger impact on the environment.

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
utterly stupid to set a limit of 0.5 and it didnt even hit that. this is a list of quakes in the past 100 days in UK.
anyone so concerned on the envrionmental effects of this, get off your computer as you're having larger impact on the environment.

is there a table which shows earthquake hotspots for the last 50 years or even last 5 .....

The argument has to be evidence driven not emotion.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
T, oil and coal may not last much longer so alternatives are needed

True to an extent about oil but totally incorrect in regards to coal, there are many hundreds of years reserves left.

It is however a filthy fuel to burn and should only be mined as a feedstock for other chemicals.

We should have committed to the most obvious alternative (nuclear) many years ago but have lost all the expertise such that the Chinese (!) will be building our next generation (at a very high price as well). Almost as bad as having Vlad controlling the gas line on/off switch...

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
True, particularly under land. Even coal mining has left vast voids underground that our towns and villages are now sinking in to.

Really? Quote me an area where this is happening - I'm from Mid Cheshire where there WAS massive problems of Salt Extraction subsidence. Most coal mines were far too deep to cause an issue.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There is a worrying trend in this country of late, an attitude of "Yeah, yeah it'll be fine, the powers that be will do right by us, nothing to see here".

I for one am certain that building 100 foot high towers in the countryside, blasting water into the earth to crack rock and then storing the toxic waste in vast underground chambers is going to be wonderful for the environment.

Like I say, we never learn.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here