Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The worst thing about the Premier League - no decent away ends

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2005
Hardly any stadium that compares with the atmosphere that you can generate in some of the championship away ends like QPR, Millwall, Brentford etc.

Ours is probably the best and we don’t get to use that one!

I have just remembered Fulham. But otherwise. And Southampton is okay too. But that’s it. Maybe Huddersfield.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Really ? apart from a few Newcastle Newcastle Newcastle songs all's i heard were Brighton fans last week and that's probably the shittest place to be as a away fan in the country .

The Optimist

Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Actually I’m sure I’ve experienced a good atmosphere at Watford, Huddersfield and Fulham. Although those games were all in the Championship or lower.

The Optimist

Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Really ? apart from a few Newcastle Newcastle Newcastle songs all's i heard were Brighton fans last week and that's probably the shittest place to be as a away fan in the country .

I think that was more to do with how quiet the home fans were. I was there and the atmosphere was decent in the away end but nothing special.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
I also mean in terms of where they are positioned. Generally right in the corner, often very removed from the action.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
For absolutely VFM, having a birds eye view of the Albion fans in the away end at Brentford, a couple of years ago, was brilliant, especially that lunatic jumping about.
I cannot for the life of me, remember his name :wink:

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think that was more to do with how quiet the home fans were. I was there and the atmosphere was decent in the away end but nothing special.

Ashley and losing football has killed it. At the Amex when the players come out not fired and we concede a goal or two, all you can here is the bloody away fans.

Worst thing about the PL (and Championship) - the constant long breaks for international football.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
In terms of concourses, the only places I've felt like a normal human being were at Man Utd and Man City. Everywhere else I've been, I've felt like a caged animal.

City? It was like all of us had clambered into a box room where somebody in the corner was pouring drinks as slow as humanly possible. It is f**king awful there.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
In terms of concourses, the only places I've felt like a normal human being were at Man Utd and Man City. Everywhere else I've been, I've felt like a caged animal.

If you are talking the League Game last season MUFC was the worst concourse I have ever endured, appalling beyond belief

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
In answer to your responses, I can't do multi quotes, their concourse bars were not caged-in like some other places I've been to. The staff were slow and squeezed cans of John Smiths into plastic cups with the finesse of a bull in a china shop, but they were at least pleasant as they did so, I didn't feel like a criminal when I wanted to be served. The worst experience I had was at Huddersfield where the facilities were in a bike shed at the back of the stand and you had to stand in a snow storm to drink your beer.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton

Eh? Ok I’m not assuming you went to all aways but United is terrible! Surely Arsenal concourse and West Ham better than United?

For what’s it worth I think Fulham,hudds,Burnley,Watford,palace and Soton are decent away ends.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
In answer to your responses, I can't do multi quotes, their concourse bars were not caged-in like some other places I've been to. The staff were slow and squeezed cans of John Smiths into plastic cups with the finesse of a bull in a china shop, but they were at least pleasant as they did so, I didn't feel like a criminal when I wanted to be served. The worst experience I had was at Huddersfield where the facilities were in a bike shed at the back of the stand and you had to stand in a snow storm to drink your beer.

Proper football.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer

Huddersfield was very poor, but they did sell their left over pies for £1 after the game! Only positive thing that came out of last year's PL game.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think we're massively spoiled having the Amex. No other club's concourse facilities come close but then it has to be good because of the lack of proper pubs near the ground.

At United I was really annoyed with myself. Having believed the pre match thread on here that said you have to get there early and will get searched every five minutes we actually left a proper buzzing football pub with our northern mates to get to the ground early, only to get straight in with a quick pat down and then spend ages in a queue to get terrible lager from a cage. Next time we'll get there 15 mins before kick off.

However, it can be an old ground / new ground thing I think with crap facilities in the Championship as well. Villa had no booze at all in the upper tier. The view and concourse at QPR is abysmal (though atmosphere is great and it's a proper day out that's one of my favourites). Fulham have shown what can be done with an old ground and is probably the best "big" away day in England. Southampton is a decent away end in terms of view and noise - just horrible to get to by car. Arsenal may be a nice ground with a decent concourse but it's an effing morgue. I'd rather boil my backside than ever give them my money again (unless we go there needing a really big result of course).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here