Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] I Tunes

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Moved on from Network Adaptors and Windows 7 now trying to put Now 100 on grandaughters MP3

Bought the album and put in a playlist. Then click on playlist right click copy and paste to sd card which shows the records etc on the card but when put in MP3 granddaughter says they are not on it so tried to burn to cd under File but shows for 15 mins 'Checking Media' what am I doing wrong please?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
giphy.gif

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am sure that when I did this, probably 10 years ago, each song showed what was happening then moved on to the next until the cd was full but that is not happening now.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Where to start..?

When you buy a track or album from Apple you are actually, in effect, leasing it from them. There is no product you own. You cannot give it, donate it or otherwise transfer it to someone else. It is a licence to listen to that piece of music but no other rights usually associated with "ownership".

iTunes can read mp3 format music and add it to your library. However, music "purchased" from Apple is held in their own proprietary format and not as mp3 - meaning you cannot play Apple-sourced music on anything but Apple hardware.

If you are trying to copy "music" from your iTunes directory to a CD then it just will not work... you are not copying anything that will play in any CD player.

On top of these there are numerous reasons why her "mp3 player" won't read an SD card which is formatted on a different device. Are the two devices even using the same operating system?

There is a huge long list of why you just can't do what you are trying to do!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
default.jpg

Have you tried winding it up?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Where to start..?

When you buy a track or album from Apple you are actually, in effect, leasing it from them. There is no product you own. You cannot give it, donate it or otherwise transfer it to someone else. It is a licence to listen to that piece of music but no other rights usually associated with "ownership".

iTunes can read mp3 format music and add it to your library. However, music "purchased" from Apple is held in their own proprietary format and not as mp3 - meaning you cannot play Apple-sourced music on anything but Apple hardware.

If you are trying to copy "music" from your iTunes directory to a CD then it just will not work... you are not copying anything that will play in any CD player.

On top of these there are numerous reasons why her "mp3 player" won't read an SD card which is formatted on a different device. Are the two devices even using the same operating system?

There is a huge long list of why you just can't do what you are trying to do![/QUOTE]

When has that ever stopped him :moo:

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ironic that this thread has all the hallmarks of a broken record.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Where to start..?

I haven’t done it for a while but I am almost certain than I have copied purchased Itunes music to a cd. Gonna have to give it a go this weekend to see if that has now changed

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Where to start..?

I accept that what you are saying is correct about the ownership legality but I have downloaded it to a cd to play at home in a pc or cd player many times in the past. Has it all changed?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I haven’t done it for a while but I am almost certain than I have copied purchased Itunes music to a cd. Gonna have to give it a go this weekend to see if that has now changed

I can say there is no legal means by which you have done this.

Music on a CD is held in a completely different way to it is in any "mp3 player"... these devices hold digitally compressed versions of what is on a CD.

To copy from iTunes you would have to both uncompress and convert the digital file into a different, larger digital file. Both the conversion and decompression would be a breach of your agreement with Apple.

I'm not saying it can't be done... just that it can't be done legally.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
After clicking on 'burn to cd' the I tunes program takes you to a point to decide what type of cd you wish to have and also whether you wish to play it as per a usb etc or on a pc so iof iot is illegal to do it why do they give that option.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I can say there is no legal means by which you have done this.

Music on a CD is held in a completely different way to it is in any "mp3 player"... these devices hold digitally compressed versions of what is on a CD.

To copy from iTunes you would have to both uncompress and convert the digital file into a different, larger digital file. Both the conversion and decompression would be a breach of your agreement with Apple.

I'm not saying it can't be done... just that it can't be done legally.

I'm impressed that you think a few facts and comments about legality will stop BG from making this another interminable thread, but it won't. He will keep trying, probably throughout the rest of the year at least, asking a different question as he Googles and checks Youtube clips for everything you have said, questioning everything and everybody, believing nothing and nobody. OMG, what have you done!

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
After clicking on 'burn to cd' the I tunes program takes you to a point to decide what type of cd you wish to have and also whether you wish to play it as per a usb etc or on a pc so iof iot is illegal to do it why do they give that option.

Follow the on-screen instructions then...

(Clearly Apple have changed their T&Cs since I had the misfortune to be an Apple user)

You are still facing the issue that CDs don't hold the data in the same way as MP3 players and, although clearly not up to speed in the current version of Apple's iTunes and it's terms of use, I suspect that any CD you produce I loaded with DMRs that stop any subsequent ripping of the files to MP3 format [legally])

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
1) Get a Dictaphone (and a new tape cassette therein)

2) Stand next to record player, record songs from speakers

3) Plug tape into PC, convert to mp3 (128 is good sound)

4) Label tracks

5) Put in iTunes

6) Fanny's your Aunt

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here