Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Retirement

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Does anyone have advice on day to day good and bad points on reaching retirement .... asking for a friend

I don't mean financial, stuff like social isolation, laziness, boredom

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Does anyone have advice on day to day good and bad points on reaching retirement .... asking for a friend

I don't mean financial, stuff like social isolation, laziness, boredom

Given the number of times I've have posted on NSC today... while at work... social isolation, laziness and boredom will just be a continuation of my working life! Roll on retirement!

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I asked my Father in Law the same question a few years ago. He says his days are full and he's always busy. He farts around in the garden, taking the dog out on long walks, going to the gym (he's 74 !!) plus he has a very regimented daily routine (up, breakfast, dog, check shares, mid morning cuppa, garden, lunch, etc etc)

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I will be retiring in December and have a few ideas on what to get involved in.
1. Ancestry research I want to trace my family back as far as possible. (Surname is Cook so maybe ...............................)
2. Photography bought a new camera last year and using my Bus Pass will get on and travel around Malta and take loads of photos.
3. Walking - Will gradually increase my distances from 5k onwards and upwards
4. Volunteer at some NGO (Maybe Inspire https://inspire.org.mt/ or an animal charity)
5. Cooking - Will take over the role as chief cook and bottle washer

Think that should do

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Stopping working doesn't stop you learning.

I'm looking forward to it.

Yes, it's good for the brain to keep learning. I use my language app every day, refreshing my French and German.

There are plenty of clubs for your hobbies, exercise classes either at the gym or the pool, and there are massive volunteer opportunities. A friend of mine does one morning a week at the Hospice shop, and one afternoon a week at Blind Veterans.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Google U3A groups in your area, there should be all sorts of activities.

You definitely need to join regular groups and meet people, and keep active every day.

I retired in my late 50s, and the big downside is that most people you meet are older than you. I was a bit pi55ed off the first time my wife bought me a "senior" cinema ticket, when I was about 8 years under-age. :wrong:

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
I will be retiring in December and have a few ideas on what to get involved in.
1. Ancestry research I want to trace my family back as far as possible. (Surname is Cook so maybe ...............................)
2. Photography bought a new camera last year and using my Bus Pass will get on and travel around Malta and take loads of photos.
3. Walking - Will gradually increase my distances from 5k onwards and upwards
4. Volunteer at some NGO (Maybe Inspire https://inspire.org.mt/ or an animal charity)
5. Cooking - Will take over the role as chief cook and bottle washer

Think that should do

Don't forget the gardening, shopping, DIY, housework, etc, you'll be amazed you ever got those done when you were working. They're still a pain in the ar5e when you're retired.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
I will retire in 2019 and boredom is a real fear for me.
I need to quit my job as I just can't handle the shift work anymore, so working on a while is not an option.
I am considering selling my flat in the centre of Brighton and moving back to Worthing so I can get a big garden, and maybe a house that needs doing up. Then, a couple of dogs, an allotment, learning to cook the stuff I've grown, home brewing, learn Spanish, a lot more Albion matches once free from shift work. Maybe a part time job .......

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
And while this thread may have caught some peoples eye...

Did you have a job 20 or 30 years ago where you may conceivably have paid into a pension fund, contributory or non-contributory, and then you moved jobs a few times and address a few times? If so, make it your immediate resolution to contact the government's FREE pension tracking service. Tell them which company you worked for, between which years, and they'll tell you who to write to to confirm if you've got a long forgotten pension and if so how much its worth. If you're lucky enough to havd it confirmed you've had one ticking away gathering interest for a couple of decades then you may well find you've stumbled across the mother of all windfalls. Say it's established that you're owed, say a pension of £1000 a year for a job you had fot a year or two in the eighties. You might think woopie-doos. But that sum they quote is for an annuity. To roughly translate that into a lump sum, simply multiply by 25 or 30. That's your bumper bundle, 25% of which is tax free. If you listen to your Uncle Tom only once in your life, listen to him on this one. Oh, and seek financial advice. Obviously.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Yes, it's good for the brain to keep learning. I use my language app every day, refreshing my French and German.

There are plenty of clubs for your hobbies, exercise classes either at the gym or the pool, and there are massive volunteer opportunities. A friend of mine does one morning a week at the Hospice shop, and one afternoon a week at Blind Veterans.

I nearly applied for a job at Blind Veterans at Ovingdean, but was warned off (stressful), but as a volunteer it could be interesting :thumbsup:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I will retire in 2019 and boredom is a real fear for me.
I need to quit my job as I just can't handle the shift work anymore, so working on a while is not an option.
I am considering selling my flat in the centre of Brighton and moving back to Worthing so I can get a big garden, and maybe a house that needs doing up. Then, a couple of dogs, an allotment, learning to cook the stuff I've grown, home brewing, learn Spanish, a lot more Albion matches once free from shift work. Maybe a part time job .......

that sounds great, no room for boredom there, good luck!

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Get up early every morning and head down to Preston Park station. Grab a coffee off Gary and a pastry. Go up to platform 2 and watch all the poor sods getting on the train to London.

Then smile, and enjoy your day.

Molango's visa

Molango's visa
Sep 7, 2007
London, UK
I have a big fear that I will look back and consider my career was wasted, so I am putting off retirement while I have irons in the fire. But I'm a massive hang-wringer at the best of times.....

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
And while this thread may have caught some peoples eye...

Did you have a job 20 or 30 years ago where you may conceivably have paid into a pension fund, contributory or non-contributory, and then you moved jobs a few times and address a few times? If so, make it your immediate resolution to contact the government's FREE pension tracking service. Tell them which company you worked for, between which years, and they'll tell you who to write to to confirm if you've got a long forgotten pension and if so how much its worth. If you're lucky enough to havd it confirmed you've had one ticking away gathering interest for a couple of decades then you may well find you've stumbled across the mother of all windfalls. Say it's established that you're owed, say a pension of £1000 a year for a job you had fot a year or two in the eighties. You might think woopie-doos. But that sum they quote is for an annuity. To roughly translate that into a lump sum, simply multiply by 25 or 30. That's your bumper bundle, 25% of which is tax free. If you listen to your Uncle Tom only once in your life, listen to him on this one. Oh, and seek financial advice. Obviously.

oddly enough you have just summed up (excuse the pun) what's happened to my (ahem) friend :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here