Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Parents and memories..

The Clamp

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Sorry if this is morbid, I mean it more as a celebration of my late parents.
So today is the 5th anniversary of my Father’s passing and also what would have been my late Mother’s birthday. On the way back from my night shift I dropped into church and lit two candles for Cath and Bill.
I don’t feel sad, I feel reflective.
I hadn’t seen my Dad for 30 years. Got back in touch and he was dying. We had 18 months to get to know one another again and we really had a good time. Going to all the places we visited when I was a kid and catching up. We had a short but good time together .
I’m feeling the need for positive things today.
What good times will you or did you remember with your folks and what good times and memories will you create with your children?
I mean this to be a positive thread.
TC

P.S I’m back from night shift , bed beckons so don’t be offended if I go silent.

Last edited:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
My Dad making me bacon sandwiches before school when I was the most ungrateful of adolescents... I remember him seeming very pleased about being able to bestow this luxury on me despite my lack of appreciation at the time, and now, as a parent myself, I fully understand it...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
My dad at football (Partick Thistle aka The Maryhill Magyars) when I was a wee boy just being weaned into being a junior Jag. Bloke in front of him on the terraces put his umbrella up. Twice my dad asked him politely to put his umbrella down as we couldn't see tbe game. Twice he was met with a slurred torrent of abuse. He didn't ask a third time. Instead he got his lighter out and torched the damn thing :lol:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
So today is the 5th anniversary of my Father’s passing and also what would have been my late Mother’s birthday. On the way back from my night shift I dropped into church and lit two candles for Cath and Bill.
I hadn’t seen my Dad for 30 years. Got back in touch and he was dying. We had 18 months to get to know one another again and we really had a good time. Going to all the places we visited when I was a kid and catching up. We had a short but good time together .
What good times will you or did you remember with your folks and what good times and memories will you create with your children?
TC

P.S I’m back from night shift , bed beckons so don’t be offended if I go silent.

Memories are the key, remember the good times, thoughts as always:thumbsup:

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
My dad at football (Partick Thistle aka The Maryhill Magyars) when I was a wee boy just being weaned into being a junior Jag. Bloke in front of him on the terraces put his umbrella up. Twice my dad asked him politely to put his umbrella down as we couldn't see tbe game. Twice he was met with a slurred torrent of abuse. He didn't ask a third time. Instead he got his lighter out and torched the damn thing :lol:

I like your dad!

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
My Dad making me bacon sandwiches before school when I was the most ungrateful of adolescents... I remember him seeming very pleased about being able to bestow this luxury on me despite my lack of appreciation at the time, and now, as a parent myself, I fully understand it...

How often as an adult does anybody make you bacon sarnies! Good Dad.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As context, my Dad was a diver in the RN , spent his time in the Falklands retrieving bodies, from both sides, from the sea. Mum was a nurse Fromm Belfast on the Falls Road treating anyone that came in. English or Irish. They saw some stuff that couple.
Apologies, bit of a day for me.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
As context, my Dad was a diver in the RN , spent his time in the Falklands retrieving bodies, from both sides, from the sea. Mum was a nurse Fromm Belfast on the Falls Road treating anyone that came in. English or Irish. They saw some stuff that couple.

You should be very proud of them both mate. Take care today.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
Chin up M8Y, may both your parents RIP, keep your memories safe in your head. i salute them both (Mum/Dad Clamp) :salute::salute:

Last edited:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

Parents to be proud of, Mr Clamp. Always remember them at their best.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.

Firhill for thrills! Would love to have seen that!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
As others have said, always cherish the memories and take care of yourself today.

I lost my mum a week before my 13th Birthday - people say ' that must have been hard for you' - maybe, but it was a lot harder for her - the most wonderful, funny, forgetful, caring, sensitive, absent-minded person I've ever met. She wasn't even 40.

I have fantastic memories of her.

I think about her, and my dad who I lost 10 years ago, pretty much every day.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Luckiy for me, my parents are still here (I’m seeing them tomorrow). Not always a bed of roses (which is reality for many people), my fairly aggressive at times Dad mellowed once he got past 50. Good memories of family holidays in Cornwall and Devon as a kid, also he passed on his love of listening to music, and when I’ve needed help and a roof to stay under as an adult they’ve been loving.
[MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] - all the best to you today. Great that you spent precious time with your Dad, as you explained.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

My father was also a diver in the Royal Navy , which is where he met my mum ( who later took up nursing) Although I was born in Emsworth they had the good sense to move to Brighton and he then took me to watch Brighton games when I was a boy, so thanks Dad :thumbsup:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
My dad when he first took me to the Goldstone started a slow clap when one of their players went down injured.

I remember thinking he was just my dopey father being dopey but before long he had what felt like almost the entire ground joining in with him and he stopped being 'dopey' and became like some sort of puppet master or conductor controlling the actions of a few thousand people. Bloody incredible.

I'm lucky enough that I still sit with him now up in WSU, he's moved on from slow claps though. They were sooooo 1992.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
TC

Memories are so important and define us as people, mine are not of my parents but of important people who have passed who meant the world to me some friends taken far to early leaving families themselves or my auntie and especially my gran, who looked after me until they could not anymore through ill health (cancer) god i miss her so much, I wave & blow her a kiss to her every time i drive past Hove cemetery most mornings on the way to work.

Making memories for my daughter is the most important thing in the world, for her to know someone will always be there for her and love her no matter what. That is one of the reasons I no longer have a season ticket, she is in breakfast and after school clubs, the only time we see her to spend quality time is the weekend, so I pick and choose games, my daughter is more important.

I just bloody hope she appreciates it....

Take Care Mr Clamp

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here