Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Revolutionary defensive wall tactic, pah!

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Another football thread :clap2::O:banana::clap:

But it's the same as the last one :down:

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Didn't we do something similar when Newcastle had a kick towards the end of the game on Saturday? As it was, shelvey went over the top.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Talking of revolutionary tactics.

Whats to stop a team kicking off, then 4 players putting arms over shoulders and completely encircling the ball, then working their way up the pitch into the penalty area, tapping the ball around within their tight little circle, then breaking open so that someone can LARRUP it at the goal from close range ?

You couldn't use the whole team in the circle as it wouldn't be within playing distance and therefore would be obstruction, but if it was only 4 players then the ball would (in theory) remain within playing distance, therefore nullifying the obstruction aspect. Plus you want some players staying back obviously, in case it goes wrong.

I think we should try this on Saturday. See what happens.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Whats to stop a team kicking off, then 4 players putting arms over shoulders and completely encircling the ball, then working their way up the pitch into the penalty area, tapping the ball around within their tight little circle, then breaking open so that someone can LARRUP it at the goal from close range ?

You couldn't use the whole team in the circle as it wouldn't be within playing distance and therefore would be obstruction, but if it was only 4 players then the ball would (in theory) remain within playing distance, therefore nullifying the obstruction aspect. Plus you want some players staying back obviously, in case it goes wrong.

The opposition would push up in a line meaning that the front players in the circle would immediately be offside

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The opposition would push up in a line meaning that the front players in the circle would immediately be offside

Ah, but the minute the opposition do that, we could break the circle and the front player would then be clean through on goal with no defense :lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

What if the person at the back of the circle just dribbles it then

Commander

Apr 28, 2004
London

No chance would they think of that, not the first time anyway. It would get stopped when someone walloped the four players with a crunching sliding tackle.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
What if the person at the back of the circle just dribbles it then

Then when an opposition player attempts to tackle and is blocked off, a free-kick would be given.

"Impeding the progress of an opponent means moving into the opponent’s path to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction when the ball is not within playing distance of either player."

It's basically impossible unless you get 5 players in a circle passing it around, and another player, plays on the last defender, pushing the defensive line back.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Then when an opposition player attempts to tackle and is blocked off, a free-kick would be given.

"Impeding the progress of an opponent means moving into the opponent’s path to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction when the ball is not within playing distance of either player."

It's basically impossible unless you get 5 players in a circle passing it around, and another player, plays on the last defender, pushing the defensive line back.

The opposition player would be blocked, but the ball WOULD be within playing distance (of both players) = no obstruction.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
The opposition player would be blocked, but the ball WOULD be within playing distance (of both players) = no obstruction.

The argument would be that for a ball to be in playing distance, they have to be playing the ball or it is a foul. I think my solution would work perfectly for this as all five have passed it around.

Don't worry all, I have emailed Barber to pass on to Chris so expect to see this on Saturday.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
Aug 7, 2003

These sort of tactics, you mean?

A5AC2796-837D-499E-A871-E338C0DEE13B.jpeg

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Reminds me of one of Peter Cooks characters the football manager Alan Lachley, when he described his famous Escapini Defence:

AL: "Which consisted of a ten-man defensive unit. I had them stood on each other's shoulders in the goal mouth, their back to the opposing team. And they'd just sit there and we'd rely on rebounds! That lasted two weeks at Hartlepool. Well, I'm a Scunny man, and they don't like Scunny people at Hartlepool."

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester

Or we take it in turns to receive the ball, successfully passing it to colleagues either in a square, triangle or hexagonal formation, moving goalwards as we do. This way, the opposition, namely Wolves (who will be relying on stealth and scent) won't know what on earth has hit them until we're about 6-nil up. At that point we put 10 on our goal line and hit them on the (very big) break.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here