Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Central Heating - Timed or Constant

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Just about at the time when Mrs M has demanded the heating is switched back on.

In the past I have used a 'twice' timer for morning and evenings, but there are others that advocate constant (regulated by the thermostat) so that it doesn't have to crank up from scratch each time

For reference, I have a reasonable sized house (detached) with four bedrooms. As the jnrs are at Uni, we only use the one bedroom and living room. We both work during the week

Any advice would be welcome

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just about at the time when Mrs M has demanded the heating is switched back on.

In the past I have used a 'twice' timer for morning and evenings, but there are others that advocate constant (regulated by the thermostat) so that it doesn't have to crank up from scratch each time

For reference, I have a reasonable sized house (detached) with four bedrooms. As the jnrs are at Uni, we only use the one bedroom and living room. We both work during the week

Any advice would be welcome

You sound like you can afford to keep it on all the time :rolleyes::lolol:

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We're in and out on different days with no pattern, so our CH is needed sporadically.

Therefore its set to timed 6am to 10pm 7 days a week, with use of the overriding room thermostat to turn it down when the house is going to be empty for the day.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Constant at 18 bump up as and when required on oil tanks is by far more economical (apparently) so I was told by my friendly oil provider

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This is really dependant on the air tightness and thermal performance of the building envelope. A well insulated air tight house probably can benefit from maintaining a constant low temperature. A non insulated draughty house however is more likely to only have heating when its needed.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Constant at 18 bump up as and when required on oil tanks is by far more economical (apparently) so I was told by my friendly oil provider

Hmm. Not that s/he has a pecuniary interest in you buying more oil, of course.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
This is really dependant on the air tightness and thermal performance of the building envelope. A well insulated air tight house probably can benefit from maintaining a constant low temperature. A non insulated draughty house however is more likely to only have heating when its needed.

I have a well insulated air tight house. As a result, it's always warm. The heating is never timed. It get's a run for about 10/15 minutes every two or three days, if need be.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Constant all the way for me.

I grew up in a council house with iron framed single glazed windows where we had to scrape the ice off the inside of the windows in winter...

My answer is based on emotion and mental scarring though, so I'll go for the sensible and rational answer and say 'timed' :glare:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here