Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] GBK in trouble

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 8, 2007
Toronto
They cornered the "big fancy burger" market back in the early 2000s. Now there's loads of places doing the same thing, so it's no real surprise they're struggling.

As you say, they've always been a bit overpriced. I only ever went there if I had a voucher.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I can't say I'm surprised. I have made 1 visit to a GBK and if my experience was typical of how they operate then they don't deserve to survive as a business. Copied below is my review of that visit which I posted at the time on the 'Restaurant 2016' thread...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Christmas shopping with Mrs Nylon in Cambridge today as it is the children's last day of term and they are at school playing Kerplunk or whatever it is primary school pupils do on the last day of school before Christmas these days.

For lunch we made our first (and last) visit to The Gourmet Burger Kitchen.I suggest they drop the word Gourmet from their name as the food and whole experience was anything but 'gourmet' - although to be fair the bill probably was.

Aside from the food - which was just a sloppy burger in a bun that looked like it had been coated with decking varnish (and tasted suspiciously similar) - it was the whole experience that won't have me rushing back anytime in this lifetime.

Like I say, it was our first visit. We were greeted at the door and shown to a table. The waitress the explained a fairly complex set of inclusions and exclusions depending on whether we were choosing from the lunchtime or the regular menu. Regardless, it all looked poor value, especially the drinks which came in at three quid for a small lemonade. So I decided to forgo a drink simply because I don't like being ripped off. Their loss - had it been something like £2-50 (still alot for a drink) I would have bought one. But not at three quid.

The best bit is that once you have chosen, you then have to go and stand at the till, state your table number and place your order and pay there and then, before you've even seen your food, never mind tried it. I accept this in a fast food type place, but not in a restaurant where I have already settled into my seat. The crazy thing is, had the woman who explained the menu had a pen and bit of paper she could have taken my order, negating the need for me weave past closely packed tables and stand in a queue by a drafty doorway to give my order to some bloke standing next to a griddle.

I reckon GBK need to decide if they are a restaurant charging a significant amount for lunch for two; or a fast-food outlet. At the moment they are a hybrid of the two and the whole experience is pretty poor and not consistent with the brand they are trying to promote in their name.

Not for me. A disappointing 1/10"

Brovion

Jul 6, 2003
As much as I love burgers from a personal pov I'm not too upset. The Signature collection from McDonalds is just as good as 80% of all the over-priced burgers on the market, people are now cottoning on to this.

Tim Over Whelmed

Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Of the chains it's 5 Guys for me!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Their burgers are actually OK but when I'm paying the price they charge ( I haven't been for a while for this very reason ) I don't expect to line up like I'm in McDonalds to order. I can easily wander round and get a better burger, for the same price and with the same type of service from Burger Brothers.

*** ADDITION *** - I've just read the BBC story. It rarther annoys me the blame appears to be implied that the 'casual dining experience is currently difficult'. No, it'se because branded chains have been found out - over charging for at best average food. People have started to wake up to 'real' places to eat. Most cities will be no worse off without these generic over charging chains. There will be places that will suffer - Walton for example generally only has generic chains ( Mrs W comes from there and I refuse to go out to eat there ). But really, it's time these chains stopped moaning and upped their game - provide very good food at a good price. A good example is, currently, Wagamamas - not top end but decent food for a decent price. If they want to compete against the independents then they need to up their game. Uncomfortable mass dining tables and self service order at a waited service price along with very average food like GBK will die ....... thankfully. I'm sure [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] might have some interesting input as well.

EDIT - If that makes me a food snob so be it !

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Really like the Kiwiburger, who would have thought beetroot would work with a burger but it does.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Grubbs for me or Big Mouths in Peacehaven if I'm down that way.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not only not done anything in the face of competition, but gone backwards removing options. Wellington burger with the massive mushroom is a loss.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I forgot about the ordering process - that used to wind me up as well, especially when they've come over to give me the menu's. The reason I stopped going was the cost, especially when my local Greene King does a decent burger for £11, which includes a beer for an additional £1.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Honest Burger over the rest.

However, the 25% off with a picturehouse card, regardless of whether it is in date or not, is fantastic and makes it slightly better than affordable. Without I really wouldn't bother.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
As others have said they were the first "fancy" burger chain but failed to do much in the face of a lot of competition in that market. Oh well.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Bloody hell - they charge £3.45 for a portion of fries! no wonder they're going bust

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Beefy Boys in Hereford are good if you find yourself in this neck of the woods.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Their burgers are certainly OK, but not better than many similar establishments (on a par with,say, Byron), plenty of which will actually let you sit down and then come and take your order and the bill won't be any more, and in many cases less. 7-Bone (for example) blow them out of the water if comparing chain restaurants.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here