[Football] HM Revenue & Customs investigates players, clubs & agents over tax

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
probably not new news but...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45949868

The tax payments of 171 players, 44 clubs and 31 agents are being investigated by HM Revenue & Customs.

HMRC has recovered £332m of extra tax from professional football since 2015-16.

The figures are a rise from September 2017, when HMRC was reportedly investigating the tax affairs of 90 players, 38 clubs and 13 agents.

A HMRC spokesperson said it is examining a "range of issues, including image rights abuse".

"We carefully scrutinise the individual arrangements between football clubs and their players to make sure the right tax is being paid in the UK.

"HMRC rigorously enforces the rules and has brought in £332m in extra tax by tackling non-compliance in the football industry."

The news comes amid a national debate over funding for grassroots football, with former Football Association chairman David Bernstein recently telling BBC Radio 5 live the Premier League should be taxed to improve facilities following the collapse of the Wembley sale.

Fulham owner Shahid Khan offered £600m for Wembley but withdrew his offer after the plan became "divisive".

The FA said it would invest the proceeds of the sale into improving grassroots football facilities.

"It's a national disgrace," Bernstein told BBC Radio 5 live.

"The Premier League does pay some monies across to other parts of football but it is nowhere near enough.

"My view has consistently been that the Premier League should be levied, money should go to the FA, which would be distributed to the wider game and which would make the selling of Wembley unnecessary."

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good. Tax crooks should be forced to pay up with financial penalties too. It's not a victimless crime.

I agree. Those tax cuts and give always to Tories need to be funded somehow.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
probably not new news but...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45949868

The tax payments of 171 players, 44 clubs and 31 agents are being investigated by HM Revenue & Customs.

HMRC has recovered £332m of extra tax from professional football since 2015-16.

The figures are a rise from September 2017, when HMRC was reportedly investigating the tax affairs of 90 players, 38 clubs and 13 agents.

A HMRC spokesperson said it is examining a "range of issues, including image rights abuse".

"We carefully scrutinise the individual arrangements between football clubs and their players to make sure the right tax is being paid in the UK.

"HMRC rigorously enforces the rules and has brought in £332m in extra tax by tackling non-compliance in the football industry."

The news comes amid a national debate over funding for grassroots football, with former Football Association chairman David Bernstein recently telling BBC Radio 5 live the Premier League should be taxed to improve facilities following the collapse of the Wembley sale.

Fulham owner Shahid Khan offered £600m for Wembley but withdrew his offer after the plan became "divisive".

The FA said it would invest the proceeds of the sale into improving grassroots football facilities.

"It's a national disgrace," Bernstein told BBC Radio 5 live.

"The Premier League does pay some monies across to other parts of football but it is nowhere near enough.

"My view has consistently been that the Premier League should be levied, money should go to the FA, which would be distributed to the wider game and which would make the selling of Wembley unnecessary."

This is not really news. Footballers and Agents are like any profession. They have their share of tax Enquiries.

HMRC are only making this statement because they know there is a ''MASSIVE'' Tax case coming up next year in the Courts with Footballers and they want to get the Public on side before that case goes to the Courts. And if they win it will revolutionise football almost as much as the Bosman Ruling did.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is not really news. Footballers and Agents are like any profession. They have their share of tax Enquiries.

HMRC are only making this statement because they know there is a ''MASSIVE'' Tax case coming up next year in the Courts with Footballers and they want to get the Public on side before that case goes to the Courts. And if they win it will revolutionise football almost as much as the Bosman Ruling did.

why would they need to get the public on side? and how could tax on players possibly be a significant as Bosman?

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I agree. Those tax cuts and give always to Tories need to be funded somehow.

:fishing:

The highly regarded IFS simply deliver the facts, apolitically. Millions of the lower paid have been taken out of tax under the last 10 years of Labour/Coalition/Tory administrations, whilst the highest earners are compelled to pay more in tax. Yes, tax cuts for the poor, happy days.

IMG_2903.PNG

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Why would the Premier League contribute to grass roots football. It's primarily fed by players from overseas.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
why would they need to get the public on side? and how could tax on players possibly be a significant as Bosman?

It may not affect football worldwide like Bosman did but I guarantee that the person challenging HMRC ruling will be a household name like Bosman is - It will affect everything massively in the UK and if HMRC win I guarantee that every other country in the world, their Treasury's and Governments will introduce similar Legislation.

I know the facts of the original HMRC ruling and I know some of the ''Grounds for the challenge'' - I have no involvement in it but I know people who are acting for the player. The case was supposed to be heard in April 2018 but the Barristers of one of the Parties got a 12 month postponement. Don't know if it was HMRC or the players Barrister who sought the postponement though.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Why would the Premier League contribute to grass roots football. It's primarily fed by players from overseas.

The BBC weirdly made their article about tax fraud AND grassroots football/Wembley sale.

The illegal tax dealings of some players and some clubs, has nowt to do with money reaching grassroots.

If crooked players and clubs paid their fair share of tax, the only beneficiary would be the public purse. Not the Sussex County FA.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
The BBC weirdly made their article about tax fraud AND grassroots football/Wembley sale.

The illegal tax dealings of some players and some clubs, has nowt to do with money reaching grassroots.

If crooked players and clubs paid their fair share of tax, the only beneficiary would be the public purse. Not the Sussex County FA.

A tactical ploy by the BBC to link tax evading players and underfunded grass roots as if somehow the money recovered by HMRC will magically fund all weather pitches across the country. Hearts and Minds, Hearts and Minds.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Yes, and perhaps the BBC can do some further investigative work into the pay of their own employees and subsidiaries to ensure that the public purse is being funded appropriately.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

What case is this? I need some early morning reading.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It hasn't hit the courts yet. I only know about it because friend of mine acts for the player who is appealing an HMRC Determination

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Weren't West Ham and Newcastle raided by HMRC taking away lots of documents, last year?

Yes they were. In case there are any lawyers watching, if those two clubs both have had the same manager in recent years it is purely coincidence.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It may not affect football worldwide like Bosman did but I guarantee that the person challenging HMRC ruling will be a household name like Bosman is - It will affect everything massively in the UK and if HMRC win I guarantee that every other country in the world, their Treasury's and Governments will introduce similar Legislation.

I know the facts of the original HMRC ruling and I know some of the ''Grounds for the challenge'' - I have no involvement in it but I know people who are acting for the player. The case was supposed to be heard in April 2018 but the Barristers of one of the Parties got a 12 month postponement. Don't know if it was HMRC or the players Barrister who sought the postponement though.

I'm sure the barristers of both parties have the clock running until the case is heard though, how much did it cost the EFL and QPR in legal fees over the recent FFP case?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here