Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Printing photos

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I need to print out a picture at a decent resolution, at least 1200x1200. My HP photo printer only does 600x600.

It's to go in a locket, so will be about 18mm square, hence the need for high definition.

Anyone know where I can get it printed off, none of the on line places say what resolution they use ?

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
is it this one?

hiney.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
If it's only 18 mm square, I wouldn't have thought you need high resolution, as it would be too small to tell. If it was 18 m, then yes!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'd pop into somewhere like Jessops or Snappy Snaps (depending on what you have where you are) and let them do it for you - service usually very good and while-you-wait.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I tend to use Photobox, there's seems to be 300dpi if that helps?

https://www.photobox.co.uk/content/quality/technical

that's only half as good as my printer. I want more DPI not less.

If it's only 18 mm square, I wouldn't have thought you need high resolution, as it would be too small to tell. If it was 18 m, then yes!
Quite the opposite, it's small but I want it clear.

I'd pop into somewhere like Jessops or Snappy Snaps (depending on what you have where you are) and let them do it for you - service usually very good and while-you-wait.

I agree, I usually use them but I need specifically good quality. Not sure Jessops are a proper photographic shop any more, at least as far as printing goes.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I agree, I usually use them but I need specifically good quality. Not sure Jessops are a proper photographic shop any more, at least as far as printing goes.

Possibly.....I used Snappy Snaps last time I needed a couple done, they were excellent but that was in London. Must be something similar wherever you are.

Maybe [MENTION=13715]jimhigham[/MENTION] can point you in the right direction ?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

With resolution, the smaller you make a picture, the higher effectively the resolution is.

Commercial printing is usually done at 300dpi (high-end art books may well be 400dpi). So if you have a 1200 x 1200 px image at 300dpi, it will be 101 x 101mm. By the time you reduce it to 18mm x 18mm, the effective dpi will be 1,693.

Plenty for what you need as the human eye can't really determine anything more the 600dpi anyway.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon

Yeah - I agree. if you want to put 1200 pixels in 18mm you are asking for 1600 dpi. Anything above 300 dpi you wont even be able to see the difference.

Edit - the previous poster got there first!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I’ve used Snapmad online for printing. They are ridiculously quick, reasonably priced and everything they have done for me has come back with very well. However, as they are on online outfit I’m not sure that their customer service will necessarily be able to help you out with your specifics.

You could try Digitalab. They’re based up north. I think in Newcastle or thereabouts. I’ve used them a couple of times for work that has been irregularly sized and their customer service was excellent. They know their stuff. The finished product was good too. Try dropping them an email and I’m sure somebody will be happy to talk dpi to you all day long.

info@digitalab.co.uk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here