Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier league money

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
I read the match report in the Express this morning. In it the reporter questions where has the millions that Newcastle would have got from promotion and finishing 10th last season. My question is do clubs HAVE TO SPEND the money on players etc or can the owners put it in their bank accounts.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh there's me thinking this was another palace thread. :lolol:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Surely there is no obligation on them to spend it but if they want to keep winning* £100m every year then they will need to spend some.

*winning means finishing 17th or better on this occasion!

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Surely there is no obligation on them to spend it but if they want to keep winning* £100m every year then they will need to spend some.

*winning means finishing 17th or better on this occasion!

I believe Mr TaxMan might have an interest in the unspent cash.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I read the match report in the Express this morning. In it the reporter questions where has the millions that Newcastle would have got from promotion and finishing 10th last season. My question is do clubs HAVE TO SPEND the money on players etc or can the owners put it in their bank accounts.

Well they LOST over £40m in 16/17 (having spent an incredible £112m on wages - 130% of T/O - we spent about £40m by comparison) - https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/accounts-year-ending-30-june-2017

The owners can technically do what they want - they don't have to invest the PL money in players or infrastructure so yes they could take it out in theory.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well they LOST over £40m in 16/17 (having spent an incredible £112m on wages - 130% of T/O - we spent about £40m by comparison) - https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/accounts-year-ending-30-june-2017

The owners can technically do what they want - they don't have to invest the PL money in players or infrastructure so yes they could take it out in theory.

Who picked up that £40m bill.

It couldn't have been Ashley cos he's the worst owner in football.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
They can do what want, subject to paying their taxes. If Ashley wants to take out money provided he has met all obligations he is free to do so.

I don't get what his game plan is though. Clearly selling them when they were 10th last season was as good as it could get. Did he think this season they might do better without spending any more money? Odd.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
They can do what want, subject to paying their taxes. If Ashley wants to take out money provided he has met all obligations he is free to do so.

I don't get what his game plan is though. Clearly selling them when they were 10th last season was as good as it could get. Did he think this season they might do better without spending any more money? Odd.

I do not understand the Newcastle support, they are allegedly vehemently opposed to the Ashley regime, yet 50 thousand of them constantly turn up, to tut, whistle, moan and leave early....

Where is the organisation and resistance against this dastardly owner, where is the passion to remove him, they can surely do more to make themselves heard and force his hand.

Actually is Ashley that bad, or is it a combination of things, an under performing manager and team, and more importantly my belief "delusions of grandeur"

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I do not understand the Newcastle support, they are allegedly vehemently opposed to the Ashley regime, yet 50 thousand of them constantly turn up, to tut, whistle, moan and leave early....

Where is the organisation and resistance against this dastardly owner, where is the passion to remove him, they can surely do more to make themselves heard and force his hand.

Actually is Ashley that bad, or is it a combination of things, an under performing manager and team, and more importantly my belief "delusions of grandeur"

He probably is 'that bad' in any other form of business, but in the world of football club ownership he's probably decent.
A fact the Toon Army might realise if Ashley finally sells up.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton

Q.. the Oystons at Blackpool !

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun

I thought Ashley's point was that he has been trying to sell for years and has not so far been able to?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I thought Ashley's point was that he has been trying to sell for years and has not so far been able to?

He has been able to sell it, but has not been offered what he thinks is a fair price, that in it's self is fair enough, you might not be happy if your a fan of the said club, but he has purchased the club, and has indeed made funds available paid decent wages for players and managers, why should he take less than he thinks it is worth.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

See https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44850888. clubs are making money despite paying stupid transfer fees and wages. As to owners putting into own bank accounts, of course they can pay themselves huge divis; think Owen Oyston at Blackpool.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

This summer they signed:

Martin Dubravka – from Sparta Prague- £4million
Fabian Schar - Deportivo La Coruna - £3.5million
Yoshinori Muto - Mainz - £9million
Federico Fernandez - Swansea - £6million
Ki Sung-yueng – free – from Swansea
Kenedy - loan - from Chelsea

Last season they signed

Christian Atsu - Chelsea £6,200,000
Florian Lejeune - Eibar £8,700,000
Jacob Murphy - Norwich City £12,000,000
Javier Manquillo - Atlético Madrid £4,500,000
Joselu - Stoke City £5,000,000
Mikel Merino - Borussia Dortmund £8,500,000

That comes to nearly £70m worth of new signings, plus some pretty expensive loans, since they were promoted into the EPL.

Is that what their delusional fans mean by not investing in the squad?

I'm sure Ashley is a goon, but I think he has made significant funds available to Benitez, not to mention the amount of his own money he has ploughed into the team since he took it over. Perhaps the manager, and the players are just a bit less good than the fans seem to think they are.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
This summer they signed:

Martin Dubravka – from Sparta Prague- £4million
Fabian Schar - Deportivo La Coruna - £3.5million
Yoshinori Muto - Mainz - £9million
Federico Fernandez - Swansea - £6million
Ki Sung-yueng – free – from Swansea
Kenedy - loan - from Chelsea

Last season they signed

Christian Atsu - Chelsea£6,200,000
Florian Lejeune - Eibar£8,700,000
Jacob Murphy - Norwich City£12,000,000
Javier Manquillo - Atlético Madrid£4,500,000
Joselu - Stoke City£5,000,000
Mikel Merino - Borussia Dortmund£8,500,000

That comes to nearly £70m worth of new signings, plus some pretty expensive loans, since they were promoted into the EPL.

Is that what their delusional fans mean by not investing in the squad?

I'm sure Ashley is a goon, but I think he has made significant funds available to Benitez, not to mention the amount of his own money he has ploughed into the team since he took it over. Perhaps the manager, and the players are just a bit less good than the fans seem to think they are.
As crazy as it sounds 70m over 2 seasons is nothing these days when the likes of Fulham and wolves are spending over 100m in one transfer window.

Newcastle are a big club they should be purchasing more than them, they should probably be on par in quality and spending with the likes of Everton.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Tim Over Whelmed

Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I think owners SHOULD put some in their pockets, they are after all the ones who speculated on the business making money? If all clubs are run on "passion" chances are they'll go bust. If, however, you run it as a business model you have a better chance of investing wisely and creating a return for investors which should aid sustainability?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here