Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What Price Loyalty?

el punal

So here we are in our second season in the Premier League, in 12th position, and on the back of two wins and two clean sheets. Not bad going thus far. What is so impressive is that the majority of the players (8) consistently selected to play in the team are the same that were selected when we were in the Championship.

So, hats off to Bruno, Bong, Dunk, Duffy, Stephens, Knockaert, March and Murray for adapting and improving to life in the PL. Many of us thought it would be bye-bye time for many of you, particularly with the number of new signings coming in, but no, you stuck at it and have shown us that team spirit and togetherness is such an important, and priceless, commodity.

Plaudits should therefore go to Chris Hughton and the coaching staff for bringing out the best from our boys. They may not be the most skilful, or the most exciting, or the most dangerous bunch of individuals on a pitch but you’ll be hard pushed to find a better squad of players as a TEAM.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
What price? About £80m - to bring in new players who are largely bench-warmers atm. It is, as you say, brilliant that so many from the Championship team have upped their game, but I do wonder whether we could have provided the competition for places that has presumably played some part in the improvement we have seen from the old guard for rather less money.

No complaints from me, btw - but it’s not my £80m...

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Knockaert and Bruno are pretty exciting and skillful in my book :)

I agree though. It is impressive and certainly shows how brilliant a manager Hughton really is, as well as his man management skills in terms of instilling the belief in them that they are good enough. Knocky especially found most of last season quite tough going on and off the pitch.

No doubt competition for places is helping some to raise their game, too!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What price? About £80m - to bring in new players who are largely bench-warmers atm. It is, as you say, brilliant that so many from the Championship team have upped their game, but I do wonder whether we could have provided the competition for places that has presumably played some part in the improvement we have seen from the old guard for rather less money.

No complaints from me, btw - but it’s not my £80m...

I don't think so personally - we needed players coming in to be at least as good as what we had - whoch meant paying for them - and there was no guarantee at all that what we had were going to be able to make the step up. Difference now is that some of those listed from our Champs squad will have hugely increased their value (Murray and Bruno not so much due to age) and will be at, or in some cases above, the value of those sitting on the bench. Duffy - cost c£4m but now - maybe £15-20m ? Dunk - cost nowt, similar ? Knockaert - cost £2.5m, now £20m ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's me thinking this was another palace thread. :lol:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I don't think so personally - we needed players coming in to be at least as good as what we had - whoch meant paying for them - and there was no guarantee at all that what we had were going to be able to make the step up. Difference now is that some of those listed from our Champs squad will have hugely increased their value (Murray and Bruno not so much due to age) and will be at, or in some cases above, the value of those sitting on the bench. Duffy - cost c£4m but now - maybe £15-20m ? Dunk - cost nowt, similar ? Knockaert - cost £2.5m, now £20m ?

Yep, that’s a fair point. Of course, in purely financial terms, the £80m expenditure is real - cash has left the club; whereas the increase in values of the old guard are paper increases, only real if/when the player(s) are sold for those increased values.

But, your underlying point is valid.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
But we're too defensive, we don't give it a go.

What's the point of all the team understanding their own and the teams tactical and positional requirements to achieve 1-0 wins, we want to see goals and far more attacking play.

Just thought I would jump in before the usual posters hijack the thread with this idiotic thinking.

Personally it shows how good the backroom team are at getting the right players in, that all (and I include the post championship players) are willing to play to team requirements rather than as individuals

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
But we're too defensive, we don't give it a go.

What's the point of all the team understanding their own and the teams tactical and positional requirements to achieve 1-0 wins, we want to see goals and far more attacking play.

Just thought I would jump in before the usual posters hijack the thread with this idiotic thinking.

Personally it shows how good the backroom team are at getting the right players in, that all (and I include the post championship players) are willing to play to team requirements rather than as individuals

Too true - Ali J is a good example of this. His defensive work, tackling and willingness to track runners is excellent. Can see why CH has been so keen to sign him.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yep, that’s a fair point. Of course, in purely financial terms, the £80m expenditure is real - cash has left the club; whereas the increase in values of the old guard are paper increases, only real if/when the player(s) are sold for those increased values.

But, your underlying point is valid.

Fees seem modest and who knows what they’d secure if sold but definitely real is the expensive prem league wages we are paying Dunk, Duffy, March, Knockaert, Stephens et al - all of whom have signed new lengthy contracts and thus big pay rises.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Kayal should also be on the list.

Most of these players are arguably playing the best football of their careers, even those in their thirties. Quite possibly the competition for places has helped but also having a few better players in the team with them has a big impact.

The 25 man squad is much stronger now. If every player was fit, then each week we would have players not making the match day squad who would have been in the starting eleven last season. This depth means that we are not so exposed when a previously key player is injured.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Duffy I think has impressed me the most, this season in particular, when I did wonder if his was a place under threat with new signings. His strength in the air is unquestionable and I feared that he would struggle with arguably more ball on the floor, but he has coped admirably. I think the competition with Balogun may be an influence here. I do temper this with the fact that our backs-against the wall mentality suits him and our style of play right now - deep midfield, plenty of action in our box, "bodies on the line" and blocks needed etc. but credit where credit is due, he has been immense and far more influential than I thought he might be..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here