Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Top Gear New Hosts

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Am I the only one who finds Paddy irritating, almost to the point of being unwatchable? I've enjoyed the content of the shows and the other two are totally fine. I just can't tolerate Paddy's squeaky, shouting voice though.

The good thing about having Flintoff there is that Paddy doesn’t get to bully his way to run the show.
I’m not a big fan of Paddy but enjoyed him with Peter Kay who I wish was back making new stuff but accept that he must have more important things to do in his life.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Can’t agree they are better than Clarkson, May and Hammond but it’s an unfair comparison really, I like the new trio but I think it takes years to build up the kind of chemistry those three have, Clarkson and co in their later years on BBC and now on Amazon, do come across as too scripted and a bit overly false. But if we are talking prime 2000-2010 Top Gear era those were the best years, perfect balance on mostly unscripted fun and great chemistry.

Loved lasts nights episode though, although I didn’t relate to it much I must say I could see how emotional it made the three of them and particularly Harris who you could visibly see the pain in him and how hard he found it.

I agree it's very difficult to compare. On the one hand you've got three motoring journalists and on the other are one motoring journalist and two entertainers. But that seems to be the direction they want to take Top Gear and it makes sense for it to be different to what Clarkson, Hammond and May did.

I completely lost interest with Top Gear when they were fronting it, I could take it or leave it during the Chris Evans experiment, but last night I think it was telling that I set a series link for it. It's still a car programme that largely caters to people who aren't overly fussed about cars, but the entertainment factor still seems to be the way to go and they do a good job at it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
New series starts tonight BBC1 20:00 hrs

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Looked like it, Peacehaven? Or perhaps a bit further east.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
The Eddie Kidd piece was real lump in the throat stuff. Outstanding tv.

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
Gave it another try last night and the Eddie Kidd spot was very good. Sadly, the talentless and relentlessly annoying McGuiness means I won't be giving it another try until he and his cohorts have departed.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Just caught up, great bit of TV

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Putting the Eddie Kidd tribute to one side for a moment, I found the opening feature a really bizarre choice, given that the BBC would have planned the scheduling of this opening episode months ago (I presume).

After two intense weeks when the global dialogue has been focused on how governments and individuals can make changes to address the climate crisis, Top Gear decided to open their new series on the night COP26 closed with a 527 horsepower V8 Aston Martin that accelerates to 60mph in three and a half seconds, an even more powerful Alfa Romeo and a £400,000 McLaren 675LT capable of top speed of 200+mph - screaming round an airfield at full chat in billowing plumes of tyre smoke.

It felt like a real disconnect with the national mood and like COP26 never happened. Now I'm certainly no eco-warrior - and I know we all need a bit of escapism - but it just seemed like a really tone deaf feature to start the new series with, when motoring is such a massive part of the problem. There are so many technological automotive advances and solutions they could have showcased instead, rather than source 3 of the most pointlessly powerful cars they could lay their hands on and then proceeded to rag the arse off them.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Putting the Eddie Kidd tribute to one side for a moment, I found the opening feature a really bizarre choice, given that the BBC would have planned the scheduling of this opening episode months ago (I presume).

After two intense weeks when the global dialogue has been focused on how governments and individuals can make changes to address the climate crisis, Top Gear decided to open their new series on the night COP26 closed with a 527 horsepower V8 Aston Martin that accelerates to 60mph in three and a half seconds, an even more powerful Alfa Romeo and a £280,000 McLaren 675LT capable of top speed of 200+mph - screaming round an airfield at full chat in billowing plumes of tyre smoke.

It felt like a real disconnect with the national mood and like COP26 never happened. Now I'm certainly no eco-warrior - and I know we all need a bit of escapism - but it just seemed like a really tone deaf feature to start the new series with, when motoring is such a massive part of the problem. There are so many technological automotive advances and solutions they could have showcased instead, rather than source 3 of the most pointlessly powerful cars they could lay their hands on and then proceeded to rag the arse off them.
Give them pedal cars to race each other in.

helipilot

Jan 20, 2010

After two intense weeks when the global dialogue has been focused on how governments and individuals can make changes to address the climate crisis, Top Gear decided to open their new series on the night COP26 closed with a 527 horsepower V8 Aston Martin that accelerates to 60mph in three and a half seconds, an even more powerful Alfa Romeo and a £400,000 McLaren 675LT capable of top speed of 200+mph - screaming round an airfield at full chat in billowing plumes of tyre smoke.

You know you're watching Top Gear rather than COP26 coverage right? If you add all of the long haul plane trips (that most of the delegates took to attend COP26) it will be far more harmful to the environment than a whole season of F1 racing. Driving 3 supercars twice round Silverstone for entertainment is not going to be the death of humanity, maybe vote with your feet and don't watch the show anymore? If everyone who thought like you did that then maybe they wouldn't have enough of an audience to make it anymore, but I bet you there wouldn't be many! Oh and and when did you last travel on a plane?

Last edited:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The Eddie Kidd piece was real lump in the throat stuff. Outstanding tv.

For me, it was tears in the eyes - Eddie is the same age as me and when I raced bikes during the 80's our paths occasionally crossed.
He was the classic "had it all" case and his life turned in a moment - very sad.

There but for the grace of god - I had many "near-misses" in my biking days - great piece of TV

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
You know you're watching Top Gear rather than COP26 coverage right? If you add all of the long haul plane trips (that most of the delegates took to attend COP26) it will be far more harmful to the environment than a whole season of F1 racing. Driving 3 supercars twice round Silverstone for entertainment is not going to be the death of humanity, maybe vote with your feet and don't watch the show anymore? If everyone who thought like you did that then maybe they wouldn't have enough of an audience to make it anymore, but I bet you there wouldn't be many! Oh and and when did you last travel on a plane?

The aggression on this site gets too much sometimes. BryNylon makes a perfectly valid point and interesting argument, your response is a totally reasonable counter-argument but why couch it in such aggressive language? Hard to fathom at times.

helipilot

Jan 20, 2010
The aggression on this site gets too much sometimes. BryNylon makes a perfectly valid point and interesting argument, your response is a totally reasonable counter-argument but why couch it in such aggressive language? Hard to fathom at times.
Wasn't meant to be aggressive, but sometimes you have to make a stand against virtue signalling and hypocrisy. It's a light entertainment TV show about cars, if you don't like the thought of cars polluting the world then maybe it isn't the show for you. That was my point, that's all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here