Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Top Gear New Hosts

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Paddy McGuinness and Freddie Flintoff apparently.

Anyone see that coming ?

I've thought for a while that a Radio 5 Live / 606 feel might give it a re-boot.

( Well a re-re-re-boot )

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Paddy McGuinness will work. Flintoff... from what i recall is not a natural in front of camera. im not sure i believe that. also two people with non-car backgrounds would take balance away from the cars.

D

Deleted member 22389

Like the idea of Flintoff doing the show, but thing they need another Clarkson type. The person that came to mind was Chris Tarrant.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Top gear just isnt or isnt likely to ever be the show it was to non car people like myself. Clarkson (love him or loathe him), May, and Hammond WERE the show

I hate to admit it, but you are right, (I loathe Clarson by the way). People tuned in to watch Clarkson, Hammond, and May not because of the latest Bugatti, Maserati, or Ferrari they were reviewing. the subject matter was irrelevant.

As for the latest hosts, one is a professional cocksure northerner, and the other, well lets just say Freddie should have retired for good when he gave up cricket.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Top gear just isnt or isnt likely to ever be the show it was to non car people like myself. Clarkson (love him or loathe him), May, and Hammond WERE the show

Totally agree.

I have no interest in cars; never have, but I watched Top Gear because of the humour and dynamic of Clarkson, May & Hammond. Watched one episode after they left but the ginger fella just kept shouting at me so I turned it off and have never gone back.

Given that the BBC sold the show all over the world, it was terribly careless to lose the three of them. Short-sighted and arrogant of the Beeb to think it would still be the same programme without the stars of the show.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Can see this working. The old TG was good not because it was about cars but it was about 3 blokes messing about and they just happened to be in cars. If Freddie and Paddy can get a similar rapport going it could be good.

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
Listen to Flintoff in his podcast with savage and watch a league of their own on sky, I think Flintoff will be good. He loves dicking about in stuff that goes fast.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It's all about establishing 3 defined characters. That was the brilliance of the first 3, whether you actually liked them or not.

In the challenges you had 3 different ways of tackling them which gave an interest...and yes I know it was all scripted.

Clarkson - Brash, just hit it and it'll work, the biggest and strongest will win
May - Measured, comically sensible and boring.
Hammond - The school kid, wanting to win in the most colourful playful way.

Be interesting to see how they do that with these 3.

With the last trio there was one clear persona, Rory, and he is the one who has been dropped. :lolol:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I don't know who Paddy McGuinness is. Flintoff could be good, I like him on a league of their own.

I'd love to see Jenson Button doing it too. I think he'd make an excellent presenter and would be great for keeping things ticking over for the car fans. Presumably that would mean the end of the stig but that wouldn't be too bad as he's a Clarkson era character anyway.

Flintoff, Button and a.n.other would be my preferred line up.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here