Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Your support is ****ing shit!

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Back onto to the topic of stupid chants, of all the clubs in the PL, NUFC is surely the one that least deserves it. In the dog eat dog world at the bottom half of the league, I was of course delighted that we beat them. However, to me they are one of the most likeable clubs in the league, with one of the most genuine, least up their own arses fan bases.

(It's so easy to be magnanimous when you've just won!)

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I thought it was more a reference to the complete lack of anything resembling an atmosphere from their fans for most of the game.

I agree regarding your general view of Toon fans though.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Back onto to the topic of stupid chants, of all the clubs in the PL, NUFC is surely the one that least deserves it. In the dog eat dog world at the bottom half of the league, I was of course delighted that we beat them. However, to me they are one of the most likeable clubs in the league, with one of the most genuine, least up their own arses fan bases.

(It's so easy to be magnanimous when you've just won!)

The fans are good and passionate, When a club wins the Championship, then doesn't celebrate it stating that they shouldn't have been in that league in the first place. Then I think the club becomes instantly unlikeable to me.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Great bunch, had some good chats up there, genuinely concerned about Murray, no aggro seen etc etc but the atmosphere in the ground was really flat and disappointing - they made almost no noise at all. Loudest noise was when they booed the subbing of Mutu.

Hugo Rune

Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
However, to me they are one of the most likeable clubs in the league, with one of the most genuine, least up their own arses fan bases.

True.

The people & hospitality are always spot on when I visit. Lovely city too with great culture and nightlife (like Brighton).

If you were to calculate success vs attendance, no team in the country would come close to Newcastle in terms of loyalty and commitment to their club. They never win anything (unless handed a Championship title on a plate) yet continuously pull in 50k gates. That’s a fact - but they were still silent yesterday.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The atmosphere at SJP is insanely overrated. It’s poor. Amex is far better.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
They have a sense of humour. Saw on there forum a new drinking game "drink everytime you hear "headed away by duffy""

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
The timing was embarrassing though, as the chant came shortly after the whole stadium had applauded Murray off the pitch on a stretcher!!!

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I agree. Ive been there 4 times now, twice following the Albion, and been very disappointed every time. Esp. considering there's 50k of them. Amex is better by far for atmosphere

And I don't really get why they're not doing anything if they really hate Ashley as they supposedly do. Turning up, tutting and moaning for 80 minutes before deciding 'fook this I'm going home' is not going to drive him out of the club. All seems a bit lame to me considering how passionate we always hear they are in the media?

... But yes, great city etc

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Great bunch, had some good chats up there, genuinely concerned about Murray, no aggro seen etc etc but the atmosphere in the ground was really flat and disappointing - they made almost no noise at all. Loudest noise was when they booed the subbing of Mutu.

Yes they were quiet. (Or were we just very noisy and couldn't hear them?!) They were probably fed up. But looking around at a nearly full 50000 capacity stadium, i was a little embarrassed by the chant. And not a peep of unpleasantness around town afterwards, just lots of resigned shrugs and congrats to our boys.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
On the box, it seemed like the director was intent on showing miserable middle aged, or over, male Newcastle fans all game. It gave the impression the game was being played at an old people's home.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes they were quiet. (Or were we just very noisy and couldn't hear them?!) They were probably fed up. But looking around at a nearly full 50000 capacity stadium, i was a little embarrassed by the chant. And not a peep of unpleasantness around town afterwards, just lots of resigned shrugs and congrats to our boys.

Yeah spot on.......

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester

This. I went to SJP during our promotion season and the atmosphere was dire even though they won. Complete myth that their support is anywhere near noisy. They were one of my three pre season picks for relegation and I truly hope my prediction comes true.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To be fair to their supporters (in general), the cockney wanker has been owner for many years now. Although he has behaved as described in the wikitoon post linked by Carlzeiss, he has spent money, and he hasn't sold SJP to build a Focus DIY. He is clarly going to go only if a buyer steps forward. Correct me if I am wrong but I think they have a very well paid manager who has ben sufficiently persuaded that he can spend moderate amounts (at least on a par with Uddersfild and, ahem, Brighton). Said manager has binned off the likes of Gayle and Mitrovic (players who I have always regarded with a certain amount of envy, especially when Murray was cleary 'past it' at Bournmouth). Said manager is still there though, presumably with an idea there is a tunnel with a light at the end. Said manager now seems to have lost his ability to attract good young talent though.

All that said, if I were a Newcastle fan, I would probably slump along, grouch a bit, and slope off at 88 minutes (well, being me it would be 75 minutes, but I do have a 'long drive'). Booing Rafa's team, waving a 'cockney wanker out' banner, or boycotting games and marching to FW's house with a poet holding a megaphone would probably not be on my 'to do' list.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
They are different there, more a quite appreciation and not expectation.
Reminds me of the flat capped supporters in Billy the Fish who 'smoke tabs' and 'eat crisps'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here