Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bong knockers

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I get irritated by people who slate Gaetan, pretty much week in and week out. My point is that, in my opinion, his strength lies in his positioning and making it difficult for opponents to get in a viable shot on goal by using clever angles or pushing them wide. Take look at a couple of stats from our last two wins:

West Ham. Shots 17. On target 4.
Newcastle. Shots 27. On target 6.

This isn't all down to the blocks of Dunk and Duffy or the silky skills of Bruno. If Bong is the weakness some would say, we wouldn't see these remarkable stats that lead opposing managers to think that, despite losing, their team was the better side as Rafa and Pellegrini both claimed. He's an integral, clever player in a disciplined back four.

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
He has been average lately! Needs to be better than current form. Has been a great player for us and a great signing but we have to keep improving!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Blue_Stripe_Bong_1024x1024.jpg
I thought he was :smokin:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Last season he was excellent.

This season he has been mostly good but patchy.

Today at times he was downright awful, very lucky not to concede twice via poor errors. Hoping this is just a poor run of form and he has been carrying an injury.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I see him as a warrior who gets in the face of the opposition and gives them no peace. He is very good at one on one's when the defender tries to beat him. I think when he gets involved centrally he is not so strong and he is not good in the air.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I watched on a stream so bad that I gave up eventually, in the short time that it worked, I saw him give Newcastle two gilt edged scoring opportunities, however, I'm sure he must have been like Roy of the Rovers when I wasn't watching.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
He made a couple of potentially costly mistakes today in general he’s a very dependable lb

Very much this. He will want to put that performance behind him, he was a very lucky boy today trying to be too neat and playing it out from the back when Newcastle put the high press on.

We were lucky Newcastle are gash and devoid of confidence.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Whilst he made two virtually unforced and totally unnecessary errors today, he also did got through some top level defending and occasional forward play. Sure; against better teams he would have probably cost us any kind of a result, yet he's often superb one on one and decent moving the ball in our forward transitions. I actually like him, overall, and agree he's an integral part of our back four. He makes me nervous at times, but so does Bruno!

I'm just enjoying the result, and trying to avoid dissecting each player too much - it's virtually impossible to play the perfect 90 mins at this level... although Dunk and Duffy got close today.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Whilst he made two virtually unforced and totally unnecessary errors today, he also did got through some top level defending and occasional forward play. Sure; against better teams he would have probably cost us any kind of a result, yet he's often superb one on one and decent moving the ball in our forward transitions. I actually like him, overall, and agree he's an integral part of our back four. He makes me nervous at times, but so does Bruno!

I'm just enjoying the result, and trying to avoid dissecting each player too much - it's virtually impossible to play the perfect 90 mins at this level... although Dunk and Duffy got close today.

:thumbsup:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Two wins, two clean sheets and he still gets criticism. God help the guy when he really does have a bad game.

Hughton knows about playing full back at the highest level, that counts for something in my book.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Poor game today from a very good left-back.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Offers nothing going forward and is our weak link in our defence.....Apart from that...

Bernardo should be in. CH chose Bernardo as our left back at the start of the season (Watford).
Harshly dropped when he had to go right back due to Bruno injury.
Two horror mistakes today, fortunately it was Newcastle.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
I know. Yet Hughton was a left back for his country and continues to select Bong over other more recent and expensive candidates.

And that my friends is the bottom line......Hughton believes he's the best choice left back we have.....therefore...he is the best choice left back we have!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here