Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Match could be replayed after ref error

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bath are requesting that their match with Toulouse be replayed, mainly because the ref didn't send off two Toulouse players (who have subsequently been banned after their offences were seen by a disciplinary panel). I'm sure Bath were hard done by but these are murky waters. I sincerely hope that the appeal is turned down because it will set an awful precedent, will we ever be sure that a match is over?

And, if it starts to happen in rugby, sooner or later, a football team will want to have a game replayed too. Refs make mistakes, in football and in rugby. Hell, we all make mistakes, aliquando bonus dormitat Homerus .

I'm pretty sure that Bath's request won't succeed but what an uncertain future if it does.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sport as we know it will eventually choke itself

Maybe the mega-rich sultans of soccer should lend their VAR equipment to those poor struggling rugger buggers when not needed for football?

Or maybe everyone should just get on with it. Referees decisions, good or bad.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
What division are Bath in? Never even heard of a team called Toulouse. :shrug:

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Bath are requesting that their match with Toulouse be replayed, mainly because the ref didn't send off two Toulouse players (who have subsequently been banned after their offences were seen by a disciplinary panel). I'm sure Bath were hard done by but these are murky waters. I sincerely hope that the appeal is turned down because it will set an awful precedent, will we ever be sure that a match is over?

And, if it starts to happen in rugby, sooner or later, a football team will want to have a game replayed too. Refs make mistakes, in football and in rugby. Hell, we all make mistakes, aliquando bonus dormitat Homerus .

I'm pretty sure that Bath's request won't succeed but what an uncertain future if it does.

Bath have no one to blame but themselves. They could have, and should have, won the game anyway - Freddy Burns' howler put paid to that. That'll teach him to celebrate before putting the ball down - or not, as was the case.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
F30D3859-AFD1-4610-81F1-013A90C3F940.jpeg

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

I remember as a 9 year old in 86 playing football.in the park and one of the cool kids came running on with his mitre delta cosmic declaring that the ref for England Argentina had been sacked and we were replaying Argentina but Maradonna was banned

What a ****.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Maybe the mega-rich sultans of soccer should lend their VAR equipment to those poor struggling rugger buggers when not needed for football?

Or maybe everyone should just get on with it. Referees decisions, good or bad.

Video replays have been in rugby for years - football has just caught up.

And that's what concerns me: if it does become prevalent in rugby, I'm sure football will follow. I totally agree that ref''s decision should be final but officials, in all sports, are under fire - it's a worrying trend.

But, yes, Bath should have won anyway if Freddie Burns hadn't been such a prat.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Video replays have been in rugby for years - football has just caught up.

And that's what concerns me: if it does become prevalent in rugby, I'm sure football will follow. I totally agree that ref''s decision should be final but officials, in all sports, are under fire - it's a worrying trend.

But, yes, Bath should have won anyway if Freddie Burns hadn't been such a prat.
Fairy nuff. My ignorance indicates my complete lack of interest in rugby!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here