Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Do You Dine on Swine? Do You Dig the Pig?

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
26 years ago, at Eccleshall Road Butchers in Sheffield, I had the best pork sandwich ever. Until today at The Piggery in Broadwater when a Porcine Epiphany occurred. The Hog Roast Bap is a thing to behold. Lovely soft bread, pulled slow roast pork, crunchy crackling, stuffing, apple sauce, gravy, £4.50.

My life is complete.

Anyone else have a tasty pork story, or a culinary epiphany to share?

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
I’ve not long scoffed a pizza but reading your post makes me think I’m still hungry. Sounds yum.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I cook, well smoke, a rather fabulous lockheart pork chop rack. Loin of pork, on the bone, with the chine bone removed by the butcher. Brine it for a couple of days, then slather and coat with a rub of salt, ground pepper, garlic granules, Demerara sugar and gochujang chilli flakes, then onto the smoker for around 6-8 hours, low and slow. After standing for an hour or so the knife goes through the chops like the proverbial hot knife through butter, and you have the most tender, awesome, fabulous pork chop. I’m not saying it’s the most tender and succulent pork you’ve ever eaten, but it probably is. Sorry veggies, and vegans, but there you go.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I'm particularly partial to porcine products. One standout dish was a suckling pig in Segovia, sliced with a blunt plate at the table. Delicious.

The pig truly is the animal that keeps on giving. Bacon, sausages, black pudding, belly, chops, shoulder, trotters, cheeks, loin, snouts!

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
I cook, well smoke, a rather fabulous lockheart pork chop rack. Loin of pork, on the bone, with the chine bone removed by the butcher. Brine it for a couple of days, then slather and coat with a rub of salt, ground pepper, garlic granules, Demerara sugar and gochujang chilli flakes, then onto the smoker for around 6-8 hours, low and slow. After standing for an hour or so the knife goes through the chops like the proverbial hot knife through butter, and you have the most tender, awesome, fabulous pork chop. I’m not saying it’s the most tender and succulent pork you’ve ever eaten, but it probably is. Sorry veggies, and vegans, but there you go.

Do you Deliveroo??!! Sounds bl00dy delicious. I hope your guests show their gratitude for all that effort!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Slow roast belly.

Incidentally, I get inflamed finger joints after eating any cured meats with nitrates. Includes bacon and salami especially. Bit of a bugger. Anyone else get this? It isn't recognised as a 'thing'. It should be.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I'm particularly partial to porcine products. One standout dish was a suckling pig in Segovia, sliced with a blunt plate at the table. Delicious.

The pig truly is the animal that keeps on giving. Bacon, sausages, black pudding, belly, chops, shoulder, trotters, cheeks, loin, snouts!

Love black pudding. White puddings even better.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
26 years ago, at Eccleshall Road Butchers in Sheffield, I had the best pork sandwich ever. Until today at The Piggery in Broadwater when a Porcine Epiphany occurred. The Hog Roast Bap is a thing to behold. Lovely soft bread, pulled slow roast pork, crunchy crackling, stuffing, apple sauce, gravy, £4.50.

My life is complete.

Anyone else have a tasty pork story, or a culinary epiphany to share?

Well if you walk the walk, then you'll certainly talk the pork :wink:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I most definitely dine on swine by the way, easily my favourite meat making animal as every bit can be used. When I lived in Taiwan the translators in our office used to take us to this fantastic back street cafe that did a pork and chilli soup that was so hot it all but stripped your mouth and also contained pig blood jelly for a little extra texture. They thought it was hilarious that a Westerner was eating this until we explained black pudding to them (and there's a thing of beauty done right). Bacon sarnies, sausages, chops.....:drool:

At home I tend to do a slow roast leg of pork with the skin completely dried out, salted and left exposed and the oven turned up to full for the last 20 minutes or so. Crackling works every time that way. Served with braised leaks, carrots, roast potatoes, apple sauce (or roasted figs, or both) and a cider gravy from scratch.

Then there's pork scratchings.....

*runs to fridge*

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
26 years ago, at Eccleshall Road Butchers in Sheffield, I had the best pork sandwich ever.

As I've got family in Sheffield I've had the pork sandwiches up there and they are amazing. Roast pork crackling, and stuffing in a bap and then dipped in gravy. There's a few places that do it near Hillsborough stadium.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
As I've got family in Sheffield I've had the pork sandwiches up there and they are amazing. Roast pork crackling, and stuffing in a bap and then dipped in gravy. There's a few places that do it near Hillsborough stadium.

You're right, there are quite a few places and they're still at it now, all trying to outdo eachother. The best ones dip both cut sides of the roll/bap first in to the pork fat, then in to the gravy. They're not big fans of apple sauce up there. There's a sign in the window of one of the Hillsborough shops claiming 'All Our Pigs Are Walked To Slaughter'. Apparently if the pigs walk in to an abattoir they've walked past hundreds of times they are less afraid, there's less adrenaline present in their blood, and the meat stays tender.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
I most definitely dine on swine by the way, easily my favourite meat making animal as every bit can be used. When I lived in Taiwan the translators in our office used to take us to this fantastic back street cafe that did a pork and chilli soup that was so hot it all but stripped your mouth and also contained pig blood jelly for a little extra texture. They thought it was hilarious that a Westerner was eating this until we explained black pudding to them (and there's a thing of beauty done right). Bacon sarnies, sausages, chops.....:drool:

At home I tend to do a slow roast leg of pork with the skin completely dried out, salted and left exposed and the oven turned up to full for the last 20 minutes or so. Crackling works every time that way. Served with braised leaks, carrots, roast potatoes, apple sauce (or roasted figs, or both) and a cider gravy from scratch.

Then there's pork scratchings.....

*runs to fridge*

Another top tip for crackling. Pour a whole kettle of boiling water over the skin before it goes in the oven. Works every time for me.

Roasted Figs??!! Need more information.....?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here