Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Any US based Seagulls buying tickets for the $970 million Mega Millions lottery?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
They think it could be up to a billion by the time they draw the numbers tonight. $2 a ticket and odds about 1 in 259 million. Got to be worth a punt I suppose. The one billion headline in the papers is a bit misleading really because if you opt for the lump sum in New York you get $368 M after State and federal taxes, bit of a drop from $970 M. From memory I think the UK lottery was tax free.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
I saw an advert earlier on social media from a lottery website saying buy tickets for this. From a legal stand point can you buy a ticket to thuis in the UK and win? Or do you have to be a resident of that country? could someone from abroad win our UK lottery?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
You don't need to be a resident - tourists can buy tickets in the States

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
I seem to remember that the tax due if a Uk resident wins it and the money is transferred out of the US ended up being about 75%, so if you win you’ll need to find a US based friend /relative that you really really really trust!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
They think it could be up to a billion by the time they draw the numbers tonight. $2 a ticket and odds about 1 in 259 million. Got to be worth a punt I suppose. The one billion headline in the papers is a bit misleading really because if you opt for the lump sum in New York you get $368 M after State and federal taxes, bit of a drop from $970 M. From memory I think the UK lottery was tax free.

Yes sir. Did a group deal with 10 others at $20 each for Wednesdays draw, alas to no avail, same again for tomorrows.

As soon as we get the winning check on Monday, keep an eye out for a blue and white striped, private jet landing in your neck of the woods, first round is on me....

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Saying it will be a record $1.6 billion by Tuesday

portlander

Jul 16, 2003
Portland, Maine, USA
No didn't buy any. Chances beyond astronomical. Only way I would is if winning could be kept secret, but that wouldn't happen. Too many scrotes would come out of the woodwork.

gmabel830

Aug 12, 2017
No didn't buy any. Chances beyond astronomical. Only way I would is if winning could be kept secret, but that wouldn't happen. Too many scrotes would come out of the woodwork.
Totally agree.. I would spend the entire time allowed before claiming the winning ticket figuring out how I can disappear right after.

My wife suggested moving overseas.. not a bad idea.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

fabbb

Jun 23, 2013
Yep, in personally & as a syndicate of 70 of us, cycling San Francisco to LA

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Oh well ......another day another dollar.

Jackpot goes up to 2 billion on Friday if no one wins tonight

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep, in personally & as a syndicate of 70 of us, cycling San Francisco to LA

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
So jealous.
Keep going it might not be raining in Portland.

I'm sure the rest of the 'Cycling Geeks' would appreciate some stories and pictures, as much as I would.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Make sure to send the pics of Lycra clad men directly to Stat Bro. I’ve seen enough of that :)

Why would people find out if you won this lottery? They don’t generally find out if the Euro or UK one is won do they?
Why is the tax so high for forwigb winners on this US lottery? That’s crap.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
In the USA, they stipulate that you have to go public if you win, here you don't.

They also tax big time over there but not here. You also get two choices over there, a lump sum or money every year for the rest of your life. If you go for the money every year, you can transfer some to family, say a son, so that there is more years to gain.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
My question is, there are websites that you can buy through and they take a percentage if you win but nobody has won a big one, so what's the chances of the owner of the ticket I.e. the website owner, doing a runner with your $2b?

I suspect highly likely.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
05 28 62 65 70 05

Worth 1.6 billion dollars to a South Carolina winning ticket holder.

Let's hope he doesn't support Trump.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
In the USA, they stipulate that you have to go public if you win, here you don't.

Not in every State. The winner is from South Carolina and can remain anonymous

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here