Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 13 Years Ago Today...

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I can’t see any other threads on this.

13th anniversary today of the famous McShane in the 79th 0-1 win at Selhurst.

For me, that night was personally the most memorable event following the Albion. It gives me goosebumps even thinking about it. This was the first (and last since) time I had been to Selhurst. No reduced allocation. No promises from the club to check ID’s and ban people. No soppy Ultras. I would imagine it was very different from the recent visits?

I was a fresh faced 17 year old at the time. That morning I took a long, two bus journey from Saltdean to Lewes to go to College, but once I was there staring through the entrance I realised there was absolutely no chance I could sit through lectures knowing what I had to look forward to that night. So I turned around and went home to whittle away the hours masturbating and playing Football Manager.

On the train up you could feel ‘it’ in the air. Tension. Excitement. Nerves. Apprehension. All of the feelings that make a derby so special. We were woeful that season and from memory I think we had only won a single game (against Plymouth) by that point in the season. We were huge underdogs. We had nothing to lose really, but I just couldn’t comprehend losing to them… Not to mention stepping onto Palace soil on the night of a derby has its own risks. I was there with my Dad, younger brother who would have been 14 and a pal of the same age. On the train up I remember older heads swapping stories from the 70’s, 80’s and the 5-0 trip in 02. To young ears it added to the buzz.

East Croydon station and on to Norwood Junction (I think..) was incredible. Police everywhere. BHA everywhere. Horrible looking geezers openly doing gear off their hands on the train.

Outside the ground I remember a Palace fan literally pulling his cock out and waving it around in front of us queuing for the turnstiles. Inside Selhurst I honestly cannot recall a better atmosphere in an Away Stand. After reading some of the complaints about persistent standing or people throwing beer around after away games recently – I shudder to imagine what the NSC and general social media reaction would have been to the behaviour from our lot that night. It was like a melting pot that had physically boiled over. I remember one bloke pissing in a bottle and throwing it into the Holmsdale end. Chants and abuse that would these days get you a 3 year ban or worse. Coins and other missiles. It was brilliant.

I can’t remember much about the actual game except it was cagey.

Then the 79th minute happened, and the melting pot exploded. I have never, ever seen or experienced a crowd ever go quite as mental as that goal from Paul McShane. My Dad, who was a reserved man, a former serviceman, and pretty good at keeping his emotions in check – tried to invade the pitch with hundreds of others – who somehow surged forward even though it was seating and not terrace. I turned to try and hug him but he was gone… My younger brother, who had been forced to stand on his seat to see – was literally chucked into the air and luckily caught by an eagle eyed fan. Some legend climbed the scaffold with his hood up to abuse the Holmesdale end. I remember reading a post on a Palace forum a few days later from one of their fans describing our fans as turning into ‘animals’ when the goal went in. They were 100% correct – no one had any reasoned reaction to that goal, it was all purely instinct. A few Palace fans came onto the pitch in an attempt to get into our end, nicked and led away in front of the stand. Unreal scenes. Shortly after Clinton Morrison scored an equaliser and everyone’s hearts sank, only for huge cheers to go up when the linesman’s flag was raised. Almost as mad as for the goal. The final whistle. Celebrations, huge sighs of relief and endless chants of ‘Easy, Easy, Easy’ which was the fashion at the time.

The walk back to the station was one surrounded by Policemen yielding riot shields. But it didn’t stop one young Palace prick from spitting on my Prada coat from way above me as we walking down into the station. Typical behaviour from the gutless *****, but to be honest I didn’t even care. Karma struck an hour or so later when a bloke in a Palace shirt was getting volleyed all over the platform at Haywards Heath station when he jumped off his train and started abusing those on ours. He thought the doors had shut at the train was about to leave, sadly for him it was not...

That night is still my favourite subject of pub chatter. We won’t see anything quite like it again, so I hope it is never forgotten.

Happy McShane day all.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I was there but my memories are very different to yours. We had half the Arthuur Waite stand, and there were some coins thrown, but they were coming from the Palace side.
The atmosphere was good, especially when Henderson was pulling off every save.bpalace thought they'd equalised but the offside flag was up. I couldn't see it at first because there was a stanchion in line with the Lino from my position, but my mate behind me was taller. We celebrated as if we'd scored.
I can't talk about the trains because I drove up, parking the car at a local Brighton fan's house.
Great night.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I was in France at Oradour-Sur-Glane, scene of a SS massacre in WW2. Had difficulty getting the result and when I did the sombre mood of the place sort of quenched my normal anti-Palace exuberance. Will never forget either.

TNBA

TTF

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
So I turned around and went home to whittle away the hours masturbating and playing Football Manager.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I remember leaving the ground listening to Take it back by Pink Floyd (division bell) on my CD walkman. It felt very fitting for some reason.

The song now always reminds me of that great night:

Best Foot Forward

Apr 29, 2008
Burgess Hill
I remember the game well. A mate of mine got me a ticket (through a mate), only to find we were in the home end. Having to supress the joy of us scoring was excruciating, and having to join in with the "disappointment" of the disallowed goal was a pleasure!!

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
I was there in one of the supermarket end hospitality boxes trying to keep as low a profile as I could.

When we scored, instinct took over and a leapt into the air. Remembering where I was, I looked around only to be amazed at how many other 'Albion' were there too. Cue celebrations!

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
No doubt the Palace posters on here will remind us as soon as they spot this thread. After all it is their one off pitch bragging right in the last 30 odd years.

Seen them banging on about the 'Cresent Massacre' on BBS. No idea what happened but they seem pretty smug about it.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

For me, that night was personally the most memorable event following the Albion. It gives me goosebumps even thinking about it. This was the first (and last since) time I had been to Selhurst. No reduced allocation. No promises from the club to check ID’s and ban people. No soppy Ultras. I would imagine it was very different from the recent visits?

I was a fresh faced 17 year old at the time. That morning I took a long, two bus journey from Saltdean to Lewes to go to College, but once I was there staring through the entrance I realised there was absolutely no chance I could sit through lectures knowing what I had to look forward to that night. So I turned around and went home to whittle away the hours masturbating and playing Football Manager.

On the train up you could feel ‘it’ in the air. Tension. Excitement. Nerves. Apprehension. All of the feelings that make a derby so special. We were woeful that season and from memory I think we had only won a single game (against Plymouth) by that point in the season. We were huge underdogs. We had nothing to lose really, but I just couldn’t comprehend losing to them… Not to mention stepping onto Palace soil on the night of a derby has its own risks. I was there with my Dad, younger brother who would have been 14 and a pal of the same age. On the train up I remember older heads swapping stories from the 70’s, 80’s and the 5-0 trip in 02. To young ears it added to the buzz.

East Croydon station and on to Norwood Junction (I think..) was incredible. Police everywhere. BHA everywhere. Horrible looking geezers openly doing gear off their hands on the train.

Outside the ground I remember a Palace fan literally pulling his cock out and waving it around in front of us queuing for the turnstiles. Inside Selhurst I honestly cannot recall a better atmosphere in an Away Stand. After reading some of the complaints about persistent standing or people throwing beer around after away games recently – I shudder to imagine what the NSC and general social media reaction would have been to the behaviour from our lot that night. It was like a melting pot that had physically boiled over. I remember one bloke pissing in a bottle and throwing it into the Holmsdale end. Chants and abuse that would these days get you a 3 year ban or worse. Coins and other missiles. It was brilliant.

Then the 79th minute happened, and the melting pot exploded. I have never, ever seen or experienced a crowd ever go quite as mental as that goal from Paul McShane. My Dad, who was a reserved man, a former serviceman, and pretty good at keeping his emotions in check – tried to invade the pitch with hundreds of others – who somehow surged forward even though it was seating and not terrace. I turned to try and hug him but he was gone… My younger brother, who had been forced to stand on his seat to see – was literally chucked into the air and luckily caught by an eagle eyed fan. Some legend climbed the scaffold with his hood up to abuse the Holmesdale end. I remember reading a post on a Palace forum a few days later from one of their fans describing our fans as turning into ‘animals’ when the goal went in. They were 100% correct – no one had any reasoned reaction to that goal, it was all purely instinct. A few Palace fans came onto the pitch in an attempt to get into our end, nicked and led away in front of the stand. Unreal scenes. Shortly after Clinton Morrison scored an equaliser and everyone’s hearts sank, only for huge cheers to go up when the linesman’s flag was raised. Almost as mad as for the goal. The final whistle. Celebrations, huge sighs of relief and endless chants of ‘Easy, Easy, Easy’ which was the fashion at the time.

The walk back to the station was one surrounded by Policemen yielding riot shields. But it didn’t stop one young Palace prick from spitting on my Prada coat from way above me as we walking down into the station. Typical behaviour from the gutless *****, but to be honest I didn’t even care. Karma struck an hour or so later when a bloke in a Palace shirt was getting volleyed all over the platform at Haywards Heath station when he jumped off his train and started abusing those on ours. He thought the doors had shut at the train was about to leave, sadly for him it was not...

That night is still my favourite subject of pub chatter. We won’t see anything quite like it again, so I hope it is never forgotten.

Happy McShane day all.

Fantastic little story that, indeed it was a great night, remember the surge well, along with the hate in the air as we left the stadium, I’m sure a low level brick wall was dismantled and used as projectile weapons.

As you say great night, didn’t give a shite to be honest we went down, as that night carried my mojo through for several seasons.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Met in a pub in Balham and caught taxis down with certain other NSC folk.

Had had a few so when we got to the ground needed a slash so went in the nearest pub and as bar was free ordered a beer, did the business etc came back to hear the pub signing "we hate Brighton and we hate Brighton". Had stumbled into their heartlands so downed the pint in one but hey ho, what a night that was though.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Great account - what an away end to be in. Everyone standing on shitty seats, pillars, walls just absolutely ruining the Fortress double penis holmsdale as usual. amazing scenes. Lots of lads and singing on the way up - a great atmo!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Seen them banging on about the 'Cresent Massacre' on BBS. No idea what happened but they seem pretty smug about it.

Wasn’t much of an incident at all if memory serves me right - very small numbers and outnumberings and huge exaggerations from the scum. Prob the same ones who were pasted outside the Landsdown in Lewes for getting a bit too gobby a few years ago - but not something BHA have harped on about like a certain inferior complex franchise club do... :whistle:

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Wasn’t much of an incident at all if memory serves me right - very small numbers and outnumberings and huge exaggerations from the scum. Prob the same ones who were pasted outside the Landsdown in Lewes for getting a bit too gobby a few years ago - but not something BHA have harped on about like a certain inferior complex franchise club do... :whistle:

Thought as much. :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Happy McShane day all.

Top post. Hadn't realised you are so young. I went the previous time, my last Palarse away game of many, never to be repeated, owing to the shitness of it all, up there. Still, I remember games in the late 70s and early 80s that, despite racist chanting, missils and all, I loved just as much as you loved McShane day. Never judge the past by the standards of today, eh? Incidentally, pleased to see that ferocious ************ hasn't gone out of fashion. :lolol:

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
After that awful 5-0 defeat, this truly was redemption. Very nervous beforehand but the march back to the station afterwards was wonderful, didn’t we rub it in! Loved it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here