Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Are some leftwingers unthinking automatons?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Noticed this charcter has people going nuts in a lot of groups I am in on facebook, Based on the idea of prescripted responces to certain issues, non player characters or NPCs. Even the BBC has picked up on it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-45888176

The new Pepe? Possibly, it does provide a comeback to the standard curveballs thrown about when some people get into trouble in online debates.

Here are a few of my favs

npc-runoutrage.jpg

npc-why.jpg

npc-irobot.jpg

npcassimilate.jpg

Thoughts?

Fungus

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 21, 2004
Truro
Are some leftwingers unthinking automatons? Of course they are.
Are some rightwingers unthinking automatons? Of course they are.
Are some humans unthinking automatons? Of course they are.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Struggling to see the point of it. See also: Looney.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
If Stephen Miller is not an automaton, then I don't know what is.

[YT]vU7v5A5P8BM[/YT]

The interview ends with, "I've wasted enough of my viewers' time". Ouch, but true.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
It's idiotic.

You could do the exact same thing in reverse with right wing quotes and it would have exactly the same effect.

"Memes" are an extremely childish way of engaging with politics.

In regards to the thread title, whether the left wing thoughtlessly adopt the political opinions of others - of course this is true for many, but the same applies to the right, centre and people of practically any other political persuasion.

Actually it's a little different on the left because the left work with a collectivist mentality, where the group is more significant than the individual. I'm not saying that people on the right aren't susceptible to this kind of thing too, but having a collectivist mindset tends towards in-group out-group mentalities and group think. They also have a sense of moral superiority, which allows people to circumvent critical thinking, since there is no need (they know that they are right, and ideas counter to their own are immoral in motivation and practice, which puts them off even questioning the groups consensus - and if they do they are ostracised).

I agree though that these memes don't really serve any meaningful purpose, they don't encourage sincere debate, and they also play into a kind of group mentality.

It is definately the case though that the left need to take a good hard look at themselves, they aren't the defenders of decency and freedom that they think they are, quite the opposite.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Noticed this charcter has people going nuts in a lot of groups I am in on facebook, Based on the idea of prescripted responces to certain issues, non player characters or NPCs. Even the BBC has picked up on it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-45888176

The new Pepe? Possibly, it does provide a comeback to the standard curveballs thrown about when some people get into trouble in online debates.

Here are a few of my favs

npc-runoutrage.jpg

npc-why.jpg

npc-irobot.jpg

npcassimilate.jpg

Thoughts?

Spelling mistake in first sentence and an admission of taking notice of anything on FB. That combined with who you are had me abandon any attempt to read the rest. I’ve no doubt you’ve made a bit of a **** of yourself again though.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Spelling mistake in first sentence and an admission of taking notice of anything on FB. That combined with who you are had me abandon any attempt to read the rest. I’ve no doubt you’ve made a bit of a **** of yourself again though.

:lolol:

I'm not big on the OP or these memes either, but why do so many of your posts amount to a declaration of reasons why you didn't need to read a post rather than a well formed argument in opposition to it?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
This is to easy..

NPCslander.jpg

It's actually not working....I'm on a mac, therefore .exe files don't work. Like the humour in those posts.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
This bloke has been away hasn’t he ? I like loonies. Delusional people fascinate me.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
:lolol:

I'm not big on the OP or these memes either, but why do so many of your posts amount to a declaration of reasons why you didn't need to read a post rather than a well formed argument in opposition to it?

I didn’t read it so I can’t form any argument against the content. Not that it would merit any kind of considered response. He knows why he posted the thread and my response to it will not disappoint him, of that I’m certain.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Actually it's a little different on the left because the left work with a collectivist mentality, where the group is more significant than the individual. I'm not saying that people on the right aren't susceptible to this kind of thing too, but having a collectivist mindset tends towards in-group out-group mentalities and group think. They also have a sense of moral superiority, which allows people to circumvent critical thinking, since there is no need (they know that they are right, and ideas counter to their own are immoral in motivation and practice, which puts them off even questioning the groups consensus - and if they do they are ostracised).

I agree though that these memes don't really serve any meaningful purpose, they don't encourage sincere debate, and they also play into a kind of group mentality.

It is definately the case though that the left need to take a good hard look at themselves, they aren't the defenders of decency and freedom that they think they are, quite the opposite.

Your criticisms of 'the left' may be valid but they can be equally levelled at 'the right'.

In group/out group right mentalities are where these memes have originated in the first instance. Like minded individuals will congregate. This isn't a left/right thing whatsoever.

Moral superiority, well unless 'the right' think they are morally inferior then it's obvious they will have a sense of superiority over the left. People of the right have just as much a sense of moral superiority as any other group of people who share a similar mindset.

In considering two binary groups as you are you, from a seemingly critical of 'the left' perspective smacks of hypocrisy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here