[Travel] Drivers could have to give way to cyclists under Highway Code shake-up

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Waiting here with my popcorn for all the "cyclists can f*** off" replies....
After the amount of drivers who have been totally oblivious when turning in front of / cutting me up the last few days (three of them today just in my short ride at lunchtime!), I reckon we need something done.
Tolerance & awareness towards riders first and foremost!

Last edited:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I think the Dutch idea for opening the car door is an excellent idea,and a life-saver that should be widely advertised,like 'Think Bike'.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This would have been better served being posted in the cycling geeks thread.....

Where do you think it came from?

Anyway, it doesn't effect us, it's the rest of you that'll need retraining in driving and The Dutch Reach technique.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This would have been better served being posted in the cycling geeks thread.....

Why? To keep it away from the sight of non-cyclists? Seems a bit pointless.

Besides, I can't see that it makes much difference. If I am cycling along and the vehicle behind me wants to turn left they have to decide whether they've got room/time to overtake and then turn left, or wait and turn left behind me. They aren't allowed now to just turn left and knock me off my bike if I happen to be in their way.

That Dutch idea about open car doors is a good one though.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Why? To keep it away from the sight of non-cyclists? Seems a bit pointless.

Besides, I can't see that it makes much difference. If I am cycling along and the vehicle behind me wants to turn left they have to decide whether they've got room/time to overtake and then turn left, or wait and turn left behind me. They aren't allowed now to just turn left and knock me off my bike if I happen to be in their way.

That Dutch idea about open car doors is a good one though.

I was joshing...

Cyclists don't bother me unless they ride two abreast or don't adhere to the same stop at lights etc etc, being an ex scooter boy and being involved in several crashes due to inconsiderate car drivers, I take great care in looking out for bikes with or without a motor.

What I find hard sometimes is say your turning right or left into a side road from the main road, and a car stops to let you turn, I slowly edge into the turn and sometimes people pap you getting angry because you font just turn straight in, however then a cyclist shoots through on the inside of the car that has let you turn, so edging into the turn saves a collision. I am surprised how many cyclist just zoom along without realising hang on that car has stopped and the reason why.

It is all common sense, which we all need to do is take time to look before we do things on the road as you say especially the dutch door idea.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Well, hopefully the government will have a fund raiser by licensing cyclists and bicycles, and UK insurers will get a post brexit boost by insuring all our millions of cyclists. They may then perhaps enforce that old rule that says you don’t go through red lights and raise billions!

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well, hopefully the government will have a fund raiser by licensing cyclists and bicycles, and UK insurers will get a post brexit boost by insuring all our millions of cyclists. They may then perhaps enforce that old rule that says you don’t go through red lights and raise billions!

Red lights don't apply to us, they're only for cars.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
I live in the city centre by a major intersection and for every cyclist i see going through a red light, i see 10 car drivers do it, so I don't think car drivers argument about this are really valid.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Not quite sure what is changing apart from enforcing the Highway Code, running over a cyclist who is going straight on when you want to turn off is clearly already not allowed, and pedestrians have right of way at junctions in any case.

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/road-junctions.html

???

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Not quite sure what is changing apart from enforcing the Highway Code, running over a cyclist who is going straight on when you want to turn off is clearly already not allowed, and pedestrians have right of way at junctions in any case.

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/road-junctions.html

???

"watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way"

The word "must" is missing, so it's not law I believe, which would make securing a conviction against anyone ignoring this advice difficult.

Also, there is general ignorance amongst drivers and pedestrians on this part of the highway code judging by how pedestrians and car drivers interact at junctions. Most people just stop and wait for cars if they look like they might be turning in, even if a long distance away.

Plus the text is ambiguous. How does it apply to exits at roundabouts for instance? Or what about driving straight over at a crossing? You are still entering a road, but not turning so it's less than clear.

This section of the highway code needs an overhaul IMO. It would be nice if pedestrians could have priority over cars exiting junctions too.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Funnily enough, I stopped off at my allotment on the way home from work today and on the blind bend of the twitten there and back I had a near miss from a cyclist ! Both politely smiled and wobbled as they braked hard and swayed out of my way. Of course there are signs at each end clearly stating No Cycling but I have noticed that Cars are not banned by signage, but by a concrete bollard at the entrance to the twitten.

It's a pity as I'd like to smile and mumble an apology as I drove my car round the blind bend in to them for a change.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here