Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Magnificent game in Houston tonight

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Just sat through the Houston astros vs the Red Sox and for those who know baseball...8-6 to RS. Bottom of the 9th..two already out, .three bases loaded.....pitcher twangs the ball and the astro batter smashes it....fantastic diving catch in the outfield

RS Win and go three to one returning home , best of seven.

Not been a fan but playoffs are brilliant..

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Have been to a few baseball and basketball games in USA. Its the boards held up telling you to cheer gets me.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
With some pretty stiff competition, baseball has to be the most boring American sport going. I've been a couple of times and it's baffling how popular a sport it is

Isn't baseball all about getting drunk and eating hot-dogs?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
American Football a lightweight version of rugby? You ever been to a game or played it?? I can assure you its anything but.....

Brutal game.

I've been... and it is as boring as a 'sport' could possibly be. 5 seconds of action, interspersed with long spells where nothing happens except people milling around and ambling on and off the pitch.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
With some pretty stiff competition, baseball has to be the most boring American sport going. I've been a couple of times and it's baffling how popular a sport it is
It's no more baffling than trying to explain the appeal of a 5 day Ashes test to an outsider. It's all about cultural relativity.

As for baseball, you do certainly get dull games just like any other sport, especially where the pitchers are on top. But on the other hand, there are some incredible games full of tension and brilliant action. When the Blue Jays are playing well (so that's 2 years ago then), [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] and I have spent entire evenings WhatsApping each other over the game in hand.

They do wear armour though.
That'll be because where as rugby is a contact sport, gridiron is a collision sport. The sort of tackles and blocks that are legal in gridiron could maim opponents without the padding. Not that I'm defending gridiron, it doesn't do much for me even I'll bear the occasional game.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Just sat through the Houston astros vs the Red Sox and for those who know baseball...8-6 to RS. Bottom of the 9th..two already out, .three bases loaded.....pitcher twangs the ball and the astro batter smashes it....fantastic diving catch in the outfield

RS Win and go three to one returning home , best of seven.

Not been a fan but playoffs are brilliant..

One more game in Houston before the series returns to Boston (2-3-2).

After a dreadful first game, characterised by a series of pitching and fielding errors, this series has really taken off.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Baseball to many Brits is like cricket to many Americans. The same uniformed comments rise up on both sides. Both games are full of nuances and tactical maneuvers which can fascinate those who truly understand it all. It took me a while to appreciate baseball, I never thought I would, but an evening at the ballpark is quite the event.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Baseball to many Brits is like cricket to many Americans. The same uniformed comments rise up on both sides. Both games are full of nuances and tactical maneuvers which can fascinate those who truly understand it all. It took me a while to appreciate baseball, I never thought I would, but an evening at the ballpark is quite the event.

Indeed. When I moved to Toronto, I'd seen one baseball game before, but I didn't really appreciate everything that was going on so it was hard to get into. My move here coincided with the Blue Jays making the playoffs for the first time in many years, so I made an effort to get into it. Once I understood the rules and all that little nuances I started to really enjoy it. Don't get me wrong, there are some really dull games where very little happens, but most games have big moments of tension and some great entertainment.

In hindsight, I wish I'd know a bit more when I went to my first game in New York. Yankees vs Red Sox, Yankees leading 8-3 going into the 6th innings, Red Sox won 12-8 including a grand slam to tie the game. You can't ask for much more in a first game!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Indeed. When I moved to Toronto, I'd seen one baseball game before, but I didn't really appreciate everything that was going on so it was hard to get into. My move here coincided with the Blue Jays making the playoffs for the first time in many years, so I made an effort to get into it. Once I understood the rules and all that little nuances I started to really enjoy it. Don't get me wrong, there are some really dull games where very little happens, but most games have big moments of tension and some great entertainment.

In hindsight, I wish I'd know a bit more when I went to my first game in New York. Yankees vs Red Sox, Yankees leading 8-3 going into the 6th innings, Red Sox won 12-8 including a grand slam to tie the game. You can't ask for much more in a first game!
I can empathise with your last point entirely. I was working in Dallas in 1986 and went along to my first baseball game which featured a pinch-hit, grand slam walk off for the Rangers! Fair enough, we thought, that was quite good.

I've been following the Rangers avidly ever since, mostly from afar, but also at games in Detroit, Baltimore, Oakland. It is the most tactically complex and endlessly fascinating game.

I was listening to the BoSox game early this morning, and agree with the OP, stupendous catch to prick the Astro bubble. For a Rangers fan, the equivalent for us of Palace conceding in extra time in the play-off final.

PG

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
Isn't baseball all about getting drunk and eating hot-dogs?

yep thats what I did. I know the Mets were one of the teams. The drink and food vendors that walk around the stands were queuing by my group as we were just buying anything that came our way. Got the crowd going too with some chants the Americans had never heard before, mostly about palace players being ugly and having STD's

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I can empathise with your last point entirely. I was working in Dallas in 1986 and went along to my first baseball game which featured a pinch-hit, grand slam walk off for the Rangers! Fair enough, we thought, that was quite good.

I've been following the Rangers avidly ever since, mostly from afar, but also at games in Detroit, Baltimore, Oakland. It is the most tactically complex and endlessly fascinating game.

I was listening to the BoSox game early this morning, and agree with the OP, stupendous catch to prick the Astro bubble. For a Rangers fan, the equivalent for us of Palace conceding in extra time in the play-off final.

PG

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

And who doesn't like a Blue Jays / Rangers series: :lolol:

[yt]1V8W6_bD7bE[/yt]

[yt]tsl5KcQ0lEg[/yt]

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

This is one of the things I love about the game. A team can build a 3-4 run lead, and the whole lot can be wiped out in the blink of an eye.

Its why keeping an eye on the in-play odds can be rich pickings. A team that is just a couple of runs down going into the later innings can be SO highly priced for the win as to be ridiculous. Literally one swing of the bat can change the whole thing round in a flash. When I'm watching the Twins hanging on to a lead, I know their bullpen is utter cack, so its always worth having a sneaky couple of quid on the late game screw-up. Its paid off plenty.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
May 8, 2007
Toronto
This is one of the things I love about the game. A team can build a 3-4 run lead, and the whole lot can be wiped out in the blink of an eye.

Its why keeping an eye on the in-play odds can be rich pickings. A team that is just a couple of runs down going into the later innings can be SO highly priced for the win as to be ridiculous. Literally one swing of the bat can change the whole thing round in a flash. When I'm watching the Twins hanging on to a lead, I know their bullpen is utter cack, so its always worth having a sneaky couple of quid on the late game screw-up. Its paid off plenty.

Exactly the same with the Jays this season. The number of times we've had a lead going into the last few innings and then thrown it away.

However, we did come back from 8-2 down in the bottom of the 9th a few weeks ago. I bet the early leavers were gutted.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Exactly the same with the Jays this season. The number of times we've had a lead going into the last few innings and then thrown it away.

However, we did come back from 8-2 down in the bottom of the 9th a few weeks ago. I bet the early leavers were gutted.

Thats a hell of a comeback - I'm not sure even the Twins have blown a 6 run lead in the 9th of late, not that I've seen anyway. Epic stuff. In football terms, I guess thats the equivalent of turning a 3-0 deficit round in the last 5 minutes to win 4-3. Once that momentum gets going...

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
[QUOTE

[yt]tsl5KcQ0lEg[/yt][/QUOTE]

I believe Bautista has just started on solid food again now :D...

Attachments

• blue-jays-rangers-compressor.jpg
    blue-jays-rangers-compressor.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 55

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here