Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Looking like a poor turnout at Newcastle

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
It’s looking like it going to be a poor turnout at Newcastle this weekend.
It looks like we have sold less than 1500 tickets for the game.
Is this down to the fact that Newcastle is just
too far away or is it the wrong time of the month.(financially)
Is our poor away form a factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s looking like it going to be a poor turnout at Newcastle this weekend.
It looks like we have sold less than 1500 tickets for the game.
Is this down to the fact that Newcastle is just
too far away or is it the wrong time of the month.(financially)
Is our poor away form a factor.

All of those factors I would think.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Is taking 1300 to NEWCASTLE for our 3rd trip there in 3 years when we've not won an away game in nearly a year "poor" ? Not bad for us really, if anything it highlights how much our support has grown. Suspect we'd have had 800ish for an equivalent game at say Middlesbrough in the Championship.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
We're keeping money out of Mike Ashley's pockets because the melts can't manage it themselves.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I was thinking about it ... and do you know what tipped me into not going? The rail replacement buses they've got on at the moment. Little things

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Is taking 1300 to NEWCASTLE for our 3rd trip there in 3 years when we've not won an away game in nearly a year "poor" ? Not bad for us really, if anything it highlights how much our support has grown. Suspect we'd have had 800ish for an equivalent game at say Middlesbrough in the Championship.

I can remember going to Boro in early December not so long ago & there being 1000.That was during our tippy tappy days under Poyet.
I’m not criticizing our support but just trying to figure out weather this is a one off or are we now seeing a true reflection of where we are as a premier league club.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
This is my first trip to Newcastle.

Last year over Xmas was unaffordable.

Championship year turned out to be my wedding day on August bank holiday weekend.

Mrs is a Newcastle fan so we're heading up Friday and coming back Monday to coincide with my 40th tomorrow.

And yes, she's in the home end and I'm in the away end with you lot.

I couldn't trust myself in the home end if we scored. I'd get my head kicked in or kicked out!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can remember going to Boro in early December not so long ago & there being 1000.That was during our tippy tappy days under Poyet.
I’m not criticizing our support but just trying to figure out weather this is a one off or are we now seeing a true reflection of where we are as a premier league club.

I'm not sure our core away support has changed by much over the past 5, 10 or even 20 years.

It's probably ticked up a bit, but nothing like the jump in home support from Withdean to Amex phase I and, now, the Amex phase II.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton

That's the new ground thing kicking in though. By the time we played them under Oscar Garcia we only took 400.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This is my first trip to Newcastle.

Last year over Xmas was unaffordable.

Championship year turned out to be my wedding day on August bank holiday weekend.

Mrs is a Newcastle fan so we're heading up Friday and coming back Monday to coincide with my 40th tomorrow.

And yes, she's in the home end and I'm in the away end with you lot.

I couldn't trust myself in the home end if we scored. I'd get my head kicked in or kicked out!

It’s an away game. We won’t score.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Would have gone but GTR engineering work has scuppered this adding 2 hours to a long journey

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The away section at Newcastle is absolutely shit. Newcastle itself is great, but in terms of matchday stadium experience, it's probably the shittest away game I've done in all 4 divisions and a complete waste of £30.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
I'm not sure our core away support has changed by much over the past 5, 10 or even 20 years.

It's probably ticked up a bit, but nothing like the jump in home support from Withdean to Amex phase I and, now, the Amex phase II.
Have said this before I think this is largely a result of the Direct Debit (and to a lesser extent, home game prices). People are already spending a chunk of disposable income on the Albion EVERY month so it becomes harder to find the cash for the away games. The core support is similar with a lot more "pick and choosers" thrown in, including a lot more youngsters.

If people were paying for a season ticket up front in April, then by the time October comes round they'd have forgotten about it and would find it easier to justify money on away games.

Throw in inflated Brighton-London train prices, Southern Rail, engineering works and Brighton being in a shit location for the Motorways connecting South to North, and it makes sense that the away regulars haven't changed too much.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
That's the new ground thing kicking in though. By the time we played them under Oscar Garcia we only took 400.

I think the OG match May have been the odd one out.
I can remember going to Bolton 1000
Wigan 900-1000
Forest on a sat was always 2000

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

If we'd won an away game or two and put in a half decent performance in the last year I suspect we'd have taken a lot more - as it stands I don't think it's surprising we're not taking too many. We have been shocking for so long away, and we don't have a large number of fans based up north to make up the numbers unfortunately

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
I think the OG match May have been the odd one out.
I can remember going to Bolton 1000
Wigan 900-1000
Forest on a sat was always 2000

Forest is Midlands. Half the distance, half the price.

Bolton crowd much smaller under Garcia (Buckley) as it was Gus when Barnes kicked the ref and we filled the away end.

The 'new ground' thing is massive. I remember when we took 800 to Doncaster on a Tuesday night so people could tick off the keepmoat, and that was when we were dire under Wilkins. The crowd under Garcia a few years later was half of that!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here