Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What was Britain’s single greatest achievement of the 20th century?

On a current thread I was surprised to read this:
The NHS is Britain’s single greatest achievement of the 20th century in my opinion.
Welcome as it undoubtedly was to the majority of the population, I can think of several other things. I'll start in the pre-world war era and propose that the greatest achievement was the maintenance of the British Empire, which ruled a quarter of the World using a tiny fraction of that population.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Putting up with the Welch, Scotchland & Yorkieshire.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
jet engine.

The Clamp

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Overcoming the dark armies of the Nazi regime. I think people forget just how close we came to being crushed.

And Calippos. I love Calippos.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yeh, withstanding the Nazis in the first half of the war. That took a fair bit of resilience and collective self belief

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Jessica Ennis.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Britain did not do it alone, far from it.

If we hadn't survived I doubt if anyone else would have defeated Germany.

If we had gone under the Yanks would have had no interest in getting involved in European affairs.

The whole of the German military would then have gone to work on the USSR without any distraction.

Even if Germany hadn't crushed them via normal warfare they would have done so around 1945/46 via their atomic weapons programme and ballistic missiles.

So yes our main achievement was saving the world from the Nazis. And little thanks did we get for it.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Tv, internet, engineering in general, we basically still own motorsport as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here