[Football] Wembley not being sold

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm glad this didn't happen.

FA senior management sucking up to the $$$$$ Fulham owner. "Everything has its price" arrogance.

Plus the money would've been squandered. Loads of private consultants and suppliers would have gained very expensivly priced contracts for infrastructure etc in the counties. Those dishing out the cash would not have had savvy business acumen to get value. It would've been a one-off bonanza for snouts to the trough.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Great news.

Yes we would have had a one off lump sum (that I have no confidence that would be spent wisely) but after that one time bonanza we would be left without a national asset and having to pay rent for the right to play at the home of football. Can't believe the idea got as far as it did but I'm glad such short sighted reasoning has for once been given the service it deserves. With all of the money in the Premier League with clubs such as our own spending 10's of millions of pounds on transfers every season now, it is ridiculous that we can't adequately fund grass roots football. Why not just tax the players and agents and extra 1%, job done!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Utterly ridiculous idea. I got a grass roots survey from the FA and stated I was against the sale. As for Wembley, I don't have a problem with it. I'm not entirely sure what people expect from a stadium that holds 90k?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yes glad it hasn't been sold. Wembley can now be an asset, generating revenue for English Football for years to come

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
That money would have been great for the grass roots game.

Obviously there is no way it can be found elsewhere. Such a pity there is no money in football these days.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Great news.

Yes we would have had a one off lump sum (that I have no confidence that would be spent wisely) but after that one time bonanza we would be left without a national asset and having to pay rent for the right to play at the home of football. Can't believe the idea got as far as it did but I'm glad such short sighted reasoning has for once been given the service it deserves. With all of the money in the Premier League with clubs such as our own spending 10's of millions of pounds on transfers every season now, it is ridiculous that we can't adequately fund grass roots football. Why not just tax the players and agents and extra 1%, job done!
This

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Great news.

The Premier League and the FA gave over £300 million last season bank into lower league football, charitable causes and youth development.

The problem is that spending on sport has been reduced by a far larger sum by central and local government. Had the sale taken place for £600m half would disappear in the form of repayments of bank loans & potentially grants too.

I’m all for replacing Wembley as the national stadium because it’s located on an industrial estate in North London with inadequate transport links or local hospitality services.

57B76C42-9BE3-42AF-8D12-414384994CD6.jpeg

6A8EF3D2-A839-4FA9-9EDB-432B4A2B383E.jpeg

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Doesn’t American Football play from September to December, or something like that? Why not rent the stadium to Khan for that period to raise regular payments for grass roots football. England can play at grounds around the country for that period. Win win for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here