Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Can UK Trains Actually Get Any More Rubbish?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Half the southern half of the country knocked out yet again. Which other country's trains make the headlines on the national news on a regular basis through their sheer rubbishness?

Wouldn't happen in Germany, France, Italy, Albania...

On the plus side, even managed to knock the Brexit bolleaux off the top spot in the 1pm bulletin.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I'm venturing to Victoria shortly with trepidation after yesterday's debacle.

Hanging around Victoria yday, the tannoy said all Southeastern affected, inc Charing, etc. So decided there was no point joining the crush on the tube to try another station. Later they said there were 'limited' trains leaving Charing, so I thought I'd walk the Mall route and join the scrum there - at least things were moving, albeit slowly.

When I got there it was pretty empty, so when I bought a ticket, the woman behind the counter seemed bemused when I said I was expecting chaos. She said the trains had been running normally from there.

So thanks Southeastern for your wonderful inter-station communications. If you'd have said Charing was ok straight off, I wouldn't have wasted my time at Victoria.

GRRRR!

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Generally speaking South Western Railway in to Waterloo works well, so there is a huge amount of potential for this to get significantly more rubbish than it is currently.

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Half the southern half of the country knocked out yet again. Which other country's trains make the headlines on the national news on a regular basis through their sheer rubbishness?

Wouldn't happen in Germany, France, Italy, Albania...

On the plus side, even managed to knock the Brexit bolleaux off the top spot in the 1pm bulletin.

That was a bonus on the BBC lunchtime news, rather than the endless zzzzzzz of Brexit doom and gloom.

This time the train chaos was caused by technicians from Hitachi fitting key components wrongly to the pantograph on their test train. We haven't even reached the leaves on the line or wrong type of snow part of the excuses year yet.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Trains could be more rubbish if you weren’t allowed to drink alcohol on them. Thankfully nobody is suggesting that scenario will ever happen.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Went to pick up a friend from Heathrow this morning. No Heathrow Express from Paddington with little communication so it seemed plenty people forced onto the road which meant the M25 was rubbish as well.

Trains certainly appear to have been getting less reliable over the last two and a half years.

Then again, on Boxing Day, there won't be any trains at all which is even more rubbish and kind of makes a mockery of a 'Sustainable Transport Venue'.

Creaking transport infrastructure.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Generally speaking South Western Railway in to Waterloo works well, so there is a huge amount of potential for this to get significantly more rubbish than it is currently.

Apart from the strikes ,which will eventually lead to the network being worse than Southern.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
That was a bonus on the BBC lunchtime news, rather than the endless zzzzzzz of Brexit doom and gloom.

This time the train chaos was caused by technicians from Hitachi fitting key components wrongly to the pantograph on their test train. We haven't even reached the leaves on the line or wrong type of snow part of the excuses year yet.

You'll be very pleased to know that my train last week was late because of (wait for it) 'The Wrong Kind of Sunrise'. Quite witty of them actually. Apparently because of the low mist and complete absence of breeze, the rails were slippy, so they had to go slowly.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m so glad I don’t have to use it regularly. I last used it a couple of weeks back and it was an utter mess, and ****ing complicated to use....and I was only going from Gatwick across London. I gave up trying to get to my destination.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I thought it was going to be splendid after they got rid of train guards?..

Well. It means when it does go wrong there’s one less miserable looking skiver on board trying to avoid everyone’s gaze :moo:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You'll be very pleased to know that my train last week was late because of (wait for it) 'The Wrong Kind of Sunrise'. Quite witty of them actually. Apparently because of the low mist and complete absence of breeze, the rails were slippy, so they had to go slowly.

Japan, France, Switzerland and Germany have dews, yet strangely trains reach destinations on time.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'm venturing to Victoria shortly with trepidation after yesterday's debacle.

Hanging around Victoria yday, the tannoy said all Southeastern affected, inc Charing, etc. So decided there was no point joining the crush on the tube to try another station. Later they said there were 'limited' trains leaving Charing, so I thought I'd walk the Mall route and join the scrum there - at least things were moving, albeit slowly.

When I got there it was pretty empty, so when I bought a ticket, the woman behind the counter seemed bemused when I said I was expecting chaos. She said the trains had been running normally from there.

So thanks Southeastern for your wonderful inter-station communications. If you'd have said Charing was ok straight off, I wouldn't have wasted my time at Victoria.

GRRRR!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! If you mean Charing Cross why dont you say Charing Cross? not just Charing!!!! :rant:

Sorry, but silly little things like that really get to me sometimes! :tantrum:

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! If you mean Charing Cross why dont you say Charing Cross? not just Charing!!!! :rant:

Sorry, but silly little things like that really get to me sometimes! :tantrum:

There is a station on South Eastern named Charing, trains go to it from Victoria.

Hope that helps.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
This week the Uckfield line is 'enjoying' it's last direct train back from London Bridge at 8pm, albeit for the 9 & 10pm trains there is a replacement bus service from Oxted and for the (last) 11pm train, it's a replacemnt bus service from East Croydon(!) arriving in Uckfield at 1:30am!

Woe betide anyone who misses the 8pm!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here