Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] My Cat has an Allergy to Fleas

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
One of my cats is having severe allergic reactions to flea bites and is ofter covered in sores and scratches. We have been to a couple of different vets who haven't given us much apart from keep the house flea free and make sure he has flea tablets regularly. We are trying to do this but with three cats it is proving a bit tricky.

Does anyone have any experience with this or suggestions that we can look into?

#NSCpetsnet

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
Advantage II is a topical treatment that protects cats or dogs from fleas and lice. This spot on medication uses imidacloprid and pyriproxyfen to kill and repel pests. It is widely celebrated for its fast-acting, integrated flea control that kills adult fleas within 12 hours of the first application.

flea bomb the house too.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
Do you have a lot of cats around you neighbours wise?

We flea ours monthly and he has his boosters reguarly. But as we have 3 one side and 4 the other who i know are never treated for either its a complete waste of our time and money (vets words) We still do it for ours just winds me up with the neighbours flea ridden things !

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Advantage II is a topical treatment that protects cats or dogs from fleas and lice. This spot on medication uses imidacloprid and pyriproxyfen to kill and repel pests. It is widely celebrated for its fast-acting, integrated flea control that kills adult fleas within 12 hours of the first application.

flea bomb the house too.

Great advice, but was thinking of something to go along with our flea treatment and flea spraying.

We have tried that and although it works pretty well it doesn't work until he is bitten by the flea so it is kind of too late. Our vet has recommended Comfits which seems to be the best treatment we have found. We are a bit slack with spraying for fleas regularly but I have been told spraying is better than flea bombs because you can get into corners and under stuff easier.

reading a few recommendation about more expensive foods and home remedies but wondered what worked.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Do you have a lot of cats around you neighbours wise?

We flea ours monthly and he has his boosters reguarly. But as we have 3 one side and 4 the other who i know are never treated for either its a complete waste of our time and money (vets words) We still do it for ours just winds me up with the neighbours flea ridden things !

Yes we have loads of cats about. We are starting the process of making ours inside cats to help with this (and the wildlife killing).

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
One of my cats is having severe allergic reactions to flea bites and is ofter covered in sores and scratches. We have been to a couple of different vets who haven't given us much apart from keep the house flea free and make sure he has flea tablets regularly. We are trying to do this but with three cats it is proving a bit tricky.

Does anyone have any experience with this or suggestions that we can look into?

#NSCpetsnet

Alternatively, keep the cat indoors if possible, that's what we do, as they're prone to being run over, by speed freaks in our area.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Alternatively, keep the cat indoors if possible, that's what we do, as they're prone to being run over, by speed freaks in our area.

We have started to keep them in more, in a few months they will be indoor cats.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
My vet said fleas are resistant to a lot of remedies now. My two cats have Advocate, which is drops on the back of their neck, every 28 days. It seems to do the trick without having to decontaminate the house. There are plenty of cats around here including four next door, but our two are flea free.

They also have wormer drops every three months, which also go on the back of the neck, which is great because neither of them like tablets, and we didn't like having our arms scratched to ribbons.

We have a cat that is very sensitive to fleas/flea bites. if she's bitten she tends to over groom, constantly washing to the point that she gets bald patches and throws up fur balls etc.

Our vet gives her a steroid injection which stops the grooming overnight and settles her back down. Lasts for months too.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
The vet supplies Mipet Quantex for worming and Endectried for fleas. She has been flea free since we have had her. so it work for us. And thanks to the thread you just reminded me and I have just applied this months to the sleepy things neck. One eye opened to acknowledge I was there and then went back to sleep.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
My vet said fleas are resistant to a lot of remedies now. My two cats have Advocate, which is drops on the back of their neck, every 28 days. It seems to do the trick without having to decontaminate the house. There are plenty of cats around here including four next door, but our two are flea free.

They also have wormer drops every three months, which also go on the back of the neck, which is great because neither of them like tablets, and we didn't like having our arms scratched to ribbons.

wrap the little buggers in a tea towel first TB. sorted.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
wrap the little buggers in a tea towel first TB. sorted.

We get scratched trying to wrap the towel round them :lol:
It's easier to sneak up on them when they're asleep. I break the pipettes in the kitchen and creep up on them.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
We get scratched trying to wrap the towel round them :lol:
It's easier to sneak up on them when they're asleep. I break the pipettes in the kitchen and creep up on them.

hmmm very much like a boot necks approach - what instrument do you play?

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
:lolol:

Btw Forever Jack is selling a great t shirt with Murray code (not Glenn for those civvies reading this).
Have a look.

i saw that yesterday TB, being an ex sparker i was trying to read what it said but it has been toooooo long, can only remember 5 holes being a letter shift. backwards murray code lessons booked in. apologies to all civvies on here. :bigwave::salute:

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
i saw that yesterday TB, being an ex sparker i was trying to read what it said but it has been toooooo long, can only remember 5 holes being a letter shift. backwards murray code lessons booked in. apologies to all civvies on here. :bigwave::salute:

sussed it TB it reads ltrs BT COMMUNICATIONS BRANCH B AR ltrs

p.s. they are missing a T before the AR. will get onto them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here