Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] https://www.change.org/p/rt-hon-matt-hancock-mp-lowering-of-retirement-age-for-front-line-

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
It should be lowered for everybody!

I'm not saying forced retirement at 60 but everybody should be given the choice either to retire and take state pension at 60 or carry on working and get a slightly better state pension at retirement with a supplement for every year past 60.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Not sure why the Ambulance service should be treated differently to the Police or Fire. I know it’s unlikely to make any difference, but feel free to add to the growing petition.
https://www.change.org/p/rt-hon-mat...-for-front-line-ambulance-staff-from-67-to-60

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I'm not saying forced retirement at 60 but everybody should be given the choice either to retire and take state pension at 60 or carry on working and get a slightly better state pension at retirement with a supplement for every year past 60.

So why should people who make a CHOICE about their career path be treated better than others? Although reduced, their pensions are are better than the private sector, and who pays for it, those working until 70? Idealistic claptrap.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

thats fine if you want the state pension to half. as it is, the age needs to rise to make current rates affordable, as we live longer and spend more years receiving pensions.

as to the petition, doesnt really make any case why Ambulance staff should be treated differently to others in health service, who also work shifts etc.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
So why should people who make a CHOICE about their career path be treated better than others? Although reduced, their pensions are are better than the private sector, and who pays for it, those working until 70? Idealistic claptrap.

Yes it’s a career path and one that I enjoy.

There’s a reason why the Police and Fire can retire at 60 and its largely due to the physical and mental demands of the job that they do. The ambulance service see and deal with the same incidents (and more) as those mentioned so why are we treated differently?

Officially the ambulance service is classed as an essential service and not an emergency service (Police and Fire), next time I’m on the way to a cardiac arrest I’ll remind myself of that.

I seriously doubt if anybody will be able to continue until they are 67 years old doing front line ambulance work.

From a simple physical point of view it’s not feasible, let alone the mental side. We regularly have to carry 18 stone plus patients, I’m not sure they’d be to confident with 67 year olds with dodgy backs and knees lugging them down flights of stairs.

Hamilton

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
thats fine if you want the state pension to half. as it is, the age needs to rise to make current rates affordable, as we live longer and spend more years receiving pensions.

as to the petition, doesnt really make any case why Ambulance staff should be treated differently to others in health service, who also work shifts etc.

If only we could encourage younger people to come into the country. Skilled workers who could pay taxes here and so help pay for the care and pensions that older people will require.

I wish there was a way, but a simply can't think of one.

:shootself

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
If only we could encourage younger people to come into the country. Skilled workers who could pay taxes here and so help pay for the care and pensions that older people will require.

I wish there was a way, but a simply can't think of one.

:shootself
agree, we should welcome those that want to come here to work.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I know three firemen who have been laid off on what I believe are decent pensions due to bad backs at quite a young age, late 30’s early 40’s. I saw one, an ex neighbour of mine, lifting a Mini Metro by hand to let his son put in axle stands. He LOVED early retirement :smile:

Hamilton

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
agree, we should welcome those that want to come here to work.

What if there was a system whereby neighbouring countries could allow for the freedom of labour so that young people could come and work here, and if they really liked it maybe have kids, settle and become British citizens. Mind you, they'd have to have proof that they have a job to go to.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Lowering the retirement age for the public sector is a pipe dream, government debt is still soaring and every year the bill for interest is put on the debt pile

Should consider themselves lucky they are not a money purchase scheme like the rest of the population.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I know three firemen who have been laid off on what I believe are decent pensions due to bad backs at quite a young age, late 30’s early 40’s. I saw one, an ex neighbour of mine, lifting a Mini Metro by hand to let his son put in axle stands. He LOVED early retirement :smile:

Unless you have full details of their bank statements and their retirement agreement as well as their medical records I'd suggest you are a LIAR

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
To be honest I think there is quite a difference between the requirements of the role of a front line police officer / fireman and ambulance staff. It is clear much more of a personal safety risk both to the individual and the wider public for a 65 year old fireman to be climbing into a burning building or a 65 year old police officer trying to chase down a dangerous knife wielding suspect.

Not to lesson what ambulance staff do - it is an incredibly challenging job in really difficult circumstances. I just struggle to see where you would draw the line if this was to be accepted.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Technological advancements - medical breakthroughs are all marvelous things. They significantly improve our qualities of life. One thing they can't seem to achieve is the ideal that after 40/45 years of working and contributing to society - you may be allowed to pursue your desires before your body gives out.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
To be honest I think there is quite a difference between the requirements of the role of a front line police officer / fireman and ambulance staff. It is clear much more of a personal safety risk both to the individual and the wider public for a 65 year old fireman to be climbing into a burning building or a 65 year old police officer trying to chase down a dangerous knife wielding suspect.

Not to lesson what ambulance staff do - it is an incredibly challenging job in really difficult circumstances. I just struggle to see where you would draw the line if this was to be accepted.

The new pension scheme for firemen doesn't kick in until 60, whereas it was 55 before.
Previously, if a firefighter became injured, they could move to lighter duties, but the new scheme said they had to remain front line, and if they weren't medically fit, then they had to leave.
They also pay in 11% as opposed to the 4% of most work pension schemes.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Unless you have full details of their bank statements and their retirement agreement as well as their medical records I'd suggest you are a LIAR

Sometimes you really do need to get your head out of the sand. One of them even bragged about how the “bad back” get out was a well known thing is the Fire Brigade.

Oh and of course I just made up the bit about lifting a car by hand :rolleyes:

I might be many things but LIAR is not one of them.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings

I agree that 65 year olds shouldn’t be going into burning buildings or trying to chase down someone with a knife. Do you think it’s ok / safe for someone who is 65 to carry a 18+ stone person down a flight of stairs?

I can assure you ambulance crews having to carry obese people happens a lot more often than the Fire brigade going into a burning building.

As I’ve said before, why should the Ambulance service be treated differently to the other emergency services? We suffer the same physical and mental stress / trauma, we attend the same incidents and more and yet we are expected to keep going until 67. It won’t happen, as staff will burn out long before the current retirement age.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
What if there was a system whereby neighbouring countries could allow for the freedom of labour so that young people could come and work here, and if they really liked it maybe have kids, settle and become British citizens. Mind you, they'd have to have proof that they have a job to go to.

let them come and contribute, though i wouldnt limit to only neighboring countries, many skilled and keen workers from the rest of the world. (you're fishing in the wrong pond)

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

I would suggest that unless you can PROVE Icy Gull wrong that you are a TROLL, but we knew that anyway :wave:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I agree that 65 year olds shouldn’t be going into burning buildings or trying to chase down someone with a knife. Do you think it’s ok / safe for someone who is 65 to carry a 18+ stone person down a flight of stairs?

bit age-ist? cast onto the scrapheap at 65? shirley should be based on capability?

i jest, i recognise the concern. however i do have a question, how do those in their late 50's early 60's currently cope when they are no longer able to perform duties? presumably some occupational health process, moved to non-front line roles? we dont all hit a certain age and become physically incapable, this isn't a new issue.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
bit age-ist? cast onto the scrapheap at 65? shirley should be based on capability?

i jest, i recognise the concern. however i do have a question, how do those in their late 50's early 60's currently cope when they are no longer able to perform duties? presumably some occupational health process, moved to non-front line roles? we dont all hit a certain age and become physically incapable, this isn't a new issue.

To be honest most of those who get to late 50’s early 60’s simply walk away and take “early retirement”. I honestly can’t think of anyone who has worked right through until current retirement age since I joined 11 years ago.

In the “old days” you might have gone to a quieter station ie Battle, Rye etc. Those stations have been closed and all crews work out of a central station so the chance of having a slightly slower pace to wind down the final years of service have gone, especially as demand has increased.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here