Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Belize - tips

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
After some excellent advice on our family trip to Vietnam this year, I'm heading back to the fount of all knowledge that is NSC.

We are heading to Belize for just over 2 weeks in July/August next year - any experience/tips from here?

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fly, it's too far to cycle.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Call me picky, but I'd suggest the distance wasn't the biggest barrier to cycling from the UK to Belize.

IL could cycle the Atlantic, no probs.
He's the nearest thing us geeks have to a pro rider.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Caye Caulker was nice, outside the weekends when Belize City’s finest invade. Yeah pretty laid back but beware snorkelling in the area. Very strong currents, and a number of recent ‘incidents’.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Caye Caulker was nice, outside the weekends when Belize City’s finest invade. Yeah pretty laid back but beware snorkelling in the area. Very strong currents, and a number of recent ‘incidents’.

I really loved Caye Caulker, spent 3 days there chilling but could have stayed even longer.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
After some excellent advice on our family trip to Vietnam this year, I'm heading back to the fount of all knowledge that is NSC.

We are heading to Belize for just over 2 weeks in July/August next year - any experience/tips from here?

Spent about 6 weeks there many moons back, my tips will be out of date. Where are you going?
Make it clear very early on that you are not American. They will likely believe that you know the queen personally. Go along with that

Belize city is dodgy. Really dodgy. Dont hang around there, theres not much point anyway.
Amergris Caye is the posher of the 2 islands off the main land, its likely you will be heading there? I didnt go there money was too tight. Um on Caye Caulker its cheap as chips and theres some good snorkelling
Dive the Blue Hole if you have your PADI. I didnt, well I think you needed advanced which I didnt have then
Its got or had very close ties with LA gangs. A bit of an underworld.
Its very beautiful. I mostly snorkelled and dived a bit. Trips to the jungle come highly recommended at posh lodges. I never went on one. If you are American sounding you will get kidnapped

Um

Mosquitoes. The biggest blackest ones I've every seen. Zillions of them. Especially on the Cayes. They come round on Golf Buggys at dusk and spray things. I dont think malaria is a problem.
Divide an American dollar by 2 exactly = 1 Belize dollar.

The police drive round the Cayes on golf buggys with sirens. The road to the Mexican border is also sketchy, up Orange walk. Lined with huge cannabis plants for miles upon end which get burned down by the authorities

I cant remember too much else. Oh Shark and Stingray alley is a good snorkelling day trip off Caye Caulker. Caye Caulker didnt have a beach even though it says it did

If I'm honest the only reason to specifically visit Belize for leisure would be to dive really. Theres a load of flamingos somewhere if you go at a certain time of the year

I just went cos I had to get back from Honduras to Mexico. Its probably one of the less interesting countries in Central America

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Caye caulker for sure, anywhere but the mainland basically. You can also get a very cheap bus up to Mexico and there are some amazing places in south of Mexico.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here