Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] NBA - oh god no...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So its finally happened.

Sky Sports have bought the rights to the NBA. The singlemost boring, INSUFFERABLE sport on the planet is now going to be polluting our pub screens and living rooms from Wednesday onwards. OK, I appreciate I can largely avoid this new netball channel, but you just know that from now on, SSN (which I do watch quite a bit), will be absolutely FESTOONED with highly tedious multiple updates, highlights and roundups showing us a load of 7 foot freaks jogging back and forth, nonchalantly plopping a ball into a net, for teams I have never heard of, playing a game that nobody likes, in front of an entirely indifferent and nonplussed UK audience. ANY sport that ends up with a score of 110-116 because its such a piece of PISS to score in, is by definition simply not worth watching. You might as well televise shooting fish in a barrel. I would rather spend my night watching a pan of boiled broccoli than waste it by subjecting myself to this fingers-down-the-chalkboard excruciatingly dull squeekball-fest.

Hey Sky - instead of MLS, Eredivisie and (god help us) NBA, how about getting a bit of Champions League or FA Cup football back, instead of throwing this complete and utter DRECK at us.

Sake.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So its finally happened.

Sky Sports have bought the rights to the NBA. The singlemost boring, INSUFFERABLE sport on the planet is now going to be polluting our pub screens and living rooms from Wednesday onwards. OK, I appreciate I can largely avoid this new netball channel, but you just know that from now on, SSN (which I do watch quite a bit), will be absolutely FESTOONED with highly tedious multiple updates, highlights and roundups showing us a load of 7 foot freaks jogging back and forth, nonchalantly plopping a ball into a net, for teams I have never heard of, playing a game that nobody likes, in front of an entirely indifferent and nonplussed UK audience. ANY sport that ends up with a score of 110-116 because its such a piece of PISS to score in, is by definition simply not worth watching. You might as well televise shooting fish in a barrel. I would rather spend my night watching a pan of boiled broccoli than waste it by subjecting myself to this fingers-down-the-chalkboard excruciatingly dull squeekball-fest.

Hey Sky - instead of MLS, Eredivisie and (god help us) NBA, how about getting a bit of Champions League or FA Cup football back, instead of throwing this complete and utter DRECK at us.

Sake.

So you won't be tuning in on Wednesday morning at 01.00 to watch 76ers @ Celtics, you won't be missed

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He's scored, they've taken the lead!
Oh my, they've equalised!
Wow, they've scored again!
And they've equalised again!
Ok, they've scored again.
Yep, equalised.
Scored.
Scored.
Scored.
Is anyone still counting?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yep, equalised.
Scored.
Scored.
Scored.

:clap2:

Nutshell.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Yep, equalised.
Scored.
Scored.
Scored.

This just shows how little you know about basketball and American commentary, it would be tied rather than equalised :facepalm:

You have also failed to mention whether the basket was a 2 or 3 pointer :facepalm:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So you won't be tuning in on Wednesday morning at 01.00 to watch 76ers @ Celtics, you won't be missed

Perceptive.

ALTHOUGH - its worth noting that the Philadelphia 76-ers are the NBA team owned by the self-same American investors in CPFC2010. And under their watch, they've steadily become one of the most tragically inept and catastrophic franchises in the entire NBA. Their ice hockey team the New Jersey Devils are complete and utter cack as well.

Its kind of like having a thick, brown Midas touch.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I'm afraid I'm with the OP.

1,873 - 962 is not a scoreline.... :lolol:

I really enjoyed the spectacle of the whole Superbowl (not superbowl final, ok.. I've learned the lingo) and it was something I'll always remember, but watching on the tellybox I just see shit loads of blokes running a few feet, falling over, running a few feet, falling over, running a few feet, falling over... If I wanted to watch that I could just find lots of Zaha videos on YouTube...

Baseball is also utter cobblers. I enjoyed rounders at school, but I used to get bored shitless being part of the school team - and I was playing, not watching!! I was pretty damned good too at batting, but it was tedious AF. Oh, and if any of the bowlers had done all that leg raising stuff, they'd have been swiftly kicked in the balls......

NBA won't catch on here, I don't think. NFL will though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm afraid I'm with the OP.

1,873 - 962 is not a scoreline.... :lolol:

I really enjoyed the spectacle of the whole Superbowl (not superbowl final, ok.. I've learned the lingo) and it was something I'll always remember, but watching on the tellybox I just see shit loads of blokes running a few feet, falling over, running a few feet, falling over, running a few feet, falling over... If I wanted to watch that I could just find lots of Zaha videos on YouTube...

Baseball is also utter cobblers. I enjoyed rounders at school, but I used to get bored shitless being part of the school team - and I was playing, not watching!! I was pretty damned good too at batting, but it was tedious AF. Oh, and if any of the bowlers had done all that leg raising stuff, they'd have been swiftly kicked in the balls......

NBA won't catch on here, I don't think. NFL will though.

NFL already has - every single game they bring over here is sold out. I went myself last year to Twickenham to see the Minnesota Vikings against the Cleveland Browns, and it was a mighty spectacle. The game was tremendous, the lead changed 3-4 times before the Vikings eventually crushed them in the 4th. In front of about 80,000, it was epic.

Baseball is far more niche. I love it, its probably my 2nd favourite sport. But tbh I don't really see it catching on over here, there's no appetite for it. They're bringing the Yankees vs the Red Sox to the London Stadium next June though, in a couple of proper regular season game and I've pre-registered for tickets, I'll be all over that. I've watched MLB in the states, and its just...brilliant. Wonderful sport.

I don't understand how anyone can enjoy basketball though. I'm not saying its without skill obviously, but as a spectacle...christ. Dullness personified.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Having been to an NBA game, those lanky freaks get in the way of a good evening. I went to Memphis against NY Jets (I think). Three hours of hot dogs, Pepsi, pop corn, canons, parachutes, kiss cam, Mastercard seat upgrades, explosions, more popcorn , free t shirts, even more free t shirts, sponsorships (boy do they do sponsorship) and beer.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It’s been a good few days to be in Boston. Red Sox (oh dear), Pats, and Celtics.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
NFL already has - every single game they bring over here is sold out. I went myself last year to Twickenham to see the Minnesota Vikings against the Cleveland Browns, and it was a mighty spectacle. The game was tremendous, the lead changed 3-4 times before the Vikings eventually crushed them in the 4th. In front of about 80,000, it was epic.

Baseball is far more niche. I love it, its probably my 2nd favourite sport. But tbh I don't really see it catching on over here, there's no appetite for it. They're bringing the Yankees vs the Red Sox to the London Stadium next June though, in a couple of proper regular season game and I've pre-registered for tickets, I'll be all over that. I've watched MLB in the states, and its just...brilliant. Wonderful sport.

I don't understand how anyone can enjoy basketball though. I'm not saying its without skill obviously, but as a spectacle...christ. Dullness personified.

some people like putting pine cones up their arse....!! i suppose you despise AFL as well .....!!! some people watch poker and golf on the box some people find it mind numbing ....each to their own .

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Perceptive.

ALTHOUGH - its worth noting that the Philadelphia 76-ers are the NBA team owned by the self-same American investors in CPFC2010. And under their watch, they've steadily become one of the most tragically inept and catastrophic franchises in the entire NBA. Their ice hockey team the New Jersey Devils are complete and utter cack as well.

Sadly you're out of date.

As is the way in American sport the 76ers are now one of the 'best of the rest' team and are widely tipped to do well through the play-offs.

This amazing turn around comes on the back of their American Investors selling their share to Will Smith. :lol:

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
So its finally happened.

Sake.

U OK Hun?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
So its finally happened.

Sake.

This, absolutely nailed it.

Well said that man.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
My lack of Sky Sports has paid off handsomely over the years. I miss the tedium of tennis, the never-ending Golf and those spherical fat Northerners who just run in to each other, and then do it again until they get bored and give the ball to the other side who then do precisely the same tactic.

The money saved monthly by not subscribing can be then spent on 3-4 good books a month.
So its finally happened.

Sake.

CheeseRolls

Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
So its finally happened.

Sake.

As always it is about having an understanding of how a game is played and an insight into the tactics. Have you noticed how few footballers above 6ft 5 are anything but lumbering oafs. Seeing 7ft athletes who are quick and coordinated is in itself something of note.

I will do you a trade though. Take formula one off Radio 5 and you can take NBA off Sky. The bloody shouty adverts do my head in and how this kack qualifies as sport completely defeats me.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Perceptive.

Ooh well spotted I'll extend that to their Chess Team who we recently thrashed in a World Council Match. They were giving it large. pwned them

Capture.PNG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here