Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] NBA - oh god no...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I notice the BBC sport page does a "plays of the week" for NBA now.

Now I used to play basketball and do understand that some aspects of the sport are more difficult to execute than some might think. But with that said, what is so clever about a seven foot GIANT dribbling up to the basket and slamming it in from above the ring? (which appears to account for around 7 out of the top 10 plays) ???

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Now I used to play basketball and do understand that some aspects of the sport are more difficult to execute than some might think. But with that said, what is so clever about a seven foot GIANT dribbling up to the basket and slamming it in from above the ring? (which appears to account for around 7 out of the top 10 plays) ???

Far better to show under pressure shots and/or buzzer beaters rather than dunks and open 3s

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

This does always make me chuckle. I often catch the Plays of the Month on Sportsnet as they seem to show it every time they've got a free slot. They have some amazing bits of skill in the NHL (they're on ice, it looks f***ing difficult), some top drawer catches in NFL (a sport I'm not a fan of but I understand the skills), some top baseball plays, world class goals and saves in football (Brighton have featured a couple of times), then there's some 7 foot guy plonking a ball in a basket or lobbing it in from slightly further out than normal :shrug:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

You need to watch more NBA with teams like Golden State, Milwaukee and Toronto.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Was always a chance this would happen. Hayward coming back, young players still inconsistent, Kyrie still not quite on page with rest of team, Horford can't miss games or the team struggles etc

As the old saying goes, it's a marathon not a sprint. On their day they can beat anyone so that always means they are a show come finals.

I met a bloke who knew Hayward when he was a uni student at Butler in Indianapolis. He is supposedly an excellent person who gives many of his earnings away to charities. I also didn't realize till then that Boston head coach, Stevens, was Haywards manager at uni.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You need to watch more NBA with teams like Golden State, Milwaukee and Toronto.
How does telling me to watch the 3 best teams answer the question as to what is so impressive about a 7 foot giant slam dunking from above the ring?

I'm not particularly anti-basketball, I already knew who the best teams were thanks, I'm just pointing out that those top plays are nothing of the sort.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Poetry in motion from the world best:-

[tweet]1087583041868972032[/tweet]

Pedant alert - There are very few 7 foot tall players in the NBA.
The average height is 6ft 7.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
This does always make me chuckle. I often catch the Plays of the Month on Sportsnet as they seem to show it every time they've got a free slot. They have some amazing bits of skill in the NHL (they're on ice, it looks f***ing difficult), some top drawer catches in NFL (a sport I'm not a fan of but I understand the skills), some top baseball plays, world class goals and saves in football (Brighton have featured a couple of times), then there's some 7 foot guy plonking a ball in a basket or lobbing it in from slightly further out than normal :shrug:
And football being the only sport that shows missed shots as "highlights"

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
How does telling me to watch the 3 best teams answer the question as to what is so impressive about a 7 foot giant slam dunking from above the ring?

I'm not particularly anti-basketball, I already knew who the best teams were thanks, I'm just pointing out that those top plays are nothing of the sort.

There's just so many really LAME sports out there. The whole spectrum of Nordic sports springs to mind. Oh, and the non-Nordic sport of basketball. Obviously.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here