Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Old Goldstone Photos

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
That's amazing, Frutos - out of interest, what regiment was he in? Cap badge is not one I recognise, unless it's RE with a little distortion.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm in that photo, behind the goal 2/3 back in the North stand. Great day!

Me too! I'm about where I've circled. Must have been quite close to each other although IIRC it was quite tightly packed in there with proper surges on the goals and a bit of a crush to get on the pitch afterwards.

goldstone.JPG

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I believe this was taken at the Goldstone in either the 1921/22 or 1922/23 season.

The gentleman in the military uniform in the second row, a couple in from the left, is my great-grandfather. :)
0280bcc66dc2d7b56bb2c6521a57e54a.jpg

Just 3 or 4 years before my dad watched his first match...

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
I wonder if anyone has any photos from outside of the ground? Notably Old Shoreham Road and the police box that used to be situated in the corner at the entrance to the North Stand? I ask as in 1963/4 I was a police cadet with the then East Sussex force and stationed at Hove. Part of training was 'walking the beat' with an experienced officer and I must say I loved it, especially when in the Goldstone area. No radios, walkie talkies etc in those days so every hour you had to make the next police box on your beat to phone into the station, and of course, make a cuppa!

I would love to see a picture of this again so if anyone could assist? Thank you

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Plus the ‘ghost boy’ who isn’t really there at all.

"Ghostboy" is the only person in that photo not wearing a hat or a cap.
Perhaps as a consequence of his youthful recklessness he caught a chill at one of the matches which led to his premature demise and now he haunts the terraces as a stark warning to others to be sensibly attired during inclement weather.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Even in those days it wasn't unknown for there to be an unruly and undesirable element populating the terraces.

0280bcc66dc2d7b56bb2c6521a57e54a-02.jpeg

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Yep, my Dad found it in a box of old family photos which used to belong to my Grandad.

That's brilliant. When I first saw it in this thread I assumed it was just some kind of archive/newspaper photo. Amazing that it's a personal photo.

Can anyone beat Frutos for earliest family photo at the Albion? (Hiney artists, you know what to do)

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
That's brilliant. When I first saw it in this thread I assumed it was just some kind of archive/newspaper photo. Amazing that it's a personal photo.

Can anyone beat Frutos for earliest family photo at the Albion? (Hiney artists, you know what to do)

I will rule mine out as it was an Argus photo as he worked for them.

I believe this was taken at the Goldstone in either the 1921/22 or 1922/23 season.

The gentleman in the military uniform in the second row, a couple in from the left, is my great-grandfather. :)
That's a great bit of family memorabilia but 1 thing which catches my eye is the man pouring himself a beer.
Good man!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That's a great bit of family memorabilia but 1 thing which catches my eye is the man pouring himself a beer.
Good man!

In other news the bottle top and flask ban has now been extended retrospectively to any game we ever played, just in case. His ban's in the post.

In other news the bottle top and flask ban has now been extended retrospectively to any game we ever played, just in case. His ban's in the post.
Hehe, you can add my Mum to the ban list in that case then. She tried to take a bottle of kettle descaler into the Goldstone with her which my grandmother had given her.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Proper fans, nobody on their bloody mobile phones, they've all left them in their pockets

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Incredibe pic. Every last one of them wearing a tie/bow tie as well. What a well-dressed fanbase we had.

What the hell happened ?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
This is a post card with my Granddad, indicated with a cross, from bottom left corner, four people along and four up.

Attachments

• Grandad Goldstone.jpg
    Grandad Goldstone.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 379

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here