Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Mobility scooters for "able" people?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
We've all got used to old and / or disabled people whizzing around in mobility scooters, and they must be a godsend for people that need them. I had a play on my mum's scooter once, and they're easy to use.

On a recent holiday in sunnier parts, I noticed there were loads of "tandem" scooters for cheap hire. I guess some couples need them, but I got the impression that "able" partners were happy to go along just for the ride. Given the heat and humidity, there were times I would have gladly used one, even though I'm capable of walking all day.

It set me wondering... how long before we're all using them around town as an alternative to cars, bikes or a bus? No parking, no waiting, and you can even use them in shops as access improves. How much would they have to be "sexed up" before you would use one? What if it looked like a baby quad-bike? Can you imagine them being mainstream personal local transport for able-bodied people? Is there a mass market waiting to be tapped?

The only drawback I can see is the British weather. And lazy slobs getting even fatter. And gridlock in the pubs, etc. :drink:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
We've all got used to old and / or disabled people whizzing around in mobility scooters, and they must be a godsend for people that need them. I had a play on my mum's scooter once, and they're easy to use.

On a recent holiday in sunnier parts, I noticed there were loads of "tandem" scooters for cheap hire. I guess some couples need them, but I got the impression that "able" partners were happy to go along just for the ride. Given the heat and humidity, there were times I would have gladly used one, even though I'm capable of walking all day.

It set me wondering... how long before we're all using them around town as an alternative to cars, bikes or a bus? No parking, no waiting, and you can even use them in shops as access improves. How much would they have to be "sexed up" before you would use one? What if it looked like a baby quad-bike? Can you imagine them being mainstream personal local transport for able-bodied people? Is there a mass market waiting to be tapped?

The only drawback I can see is the British weather. And lazy slobs getting even fatter. And gridlock in the pubs, etc. :drink:

They are great for people who really need them.
But when you're going on holiday with in laws, it's no problem taking the scooter out of the boot.
It's the battery that's the issue, bloody thing weighs a tonne, and looks like something produced in Chernobyl.
Other than that, holiday was great :cool:

Car parks would be rammed mind you!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
This is the future

walle-real-cups.jpg

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

There is another drawback RTA 1988 S185(1) which defines an invalid carriage as

“invalid carriage” means a mechanically propelled vehicle the weight of which unladen does not exceed 254 kilograms and which is specially designed and constructed, and not merely adapted, for the use of a person suffering from some physical defect or disability and is used solely by such a person,

So unless you are suffering from a disability you are prohibited from using one, so a legal change would be required

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Does a Segway not already provide what you are describing?

No, you have to stand up, for a start. They're a bit too "active" for most people.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
There is another drawback RTA 1988 S185(1) which defines an invalid carriage as

“invalid carriage” means a mechanically propelled vehicle the weight of which unladen does not exceed 254 kilograms and which is specially designed and constructed, and not merely adapted, for the use of a person suffering from some physical defect or disability and is used solely by such a person,

So unless you are suffering from a disability you are prohibited from using one, so a legal change would be required

Interesting point. Guess it depends on the country - there were plenty of non-disabled people on the tandem versions in Tenerife.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018

They banned segways in Prague then these arrived. Wouldn't mind one as it goes

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

They banned segways in Prague then these arrived. Wouldn't mind one as it goes

Yeah, that's pretty sexy. Imagine a smaller three-wheeled cross between that and a normal mobility scooter, and you'd have something cool enough (and stable enough) for a pub crawl from Los Christianos to Costa Adeje. It's even got its own cup holder.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's at times like this I wish I had a video of the bloke who got up off one of a row of no fewer than FIVE mobiliy scooters at a recent KIDS game to invade the pitch and threaten the referee. I don't want to sterotype another Sussex town so there's no way I'll mention that they came from a town with a ferry port with a name beginning with "N".

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's at times like this I wish I had a video of the bloke who got up off one of a row of no fewer than FIVE mobiliy scooters at a recent KIDS game to invade the pitch and threaten the referee. I don't want to sterotype another Sussex town so there's no way I'll mention that they came from a town with a ferry port with a name beginning with "N".

Pretty Pink Fairy?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here