[Football] Leeds owner calls for Premier League 2

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I want to know where this extra revenue will come from. The Big Boys in the PL already want a bigger slice of pie.

Even for European Champions.

Talking of that, Villa will probably jump on this bandwagon.

#deludedoncebigclubs

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Can call it what they want, it'll still be the 'second division' - won't be any more or less interest in it as a result, or any more money so it'd be reliant on the PL clubs taking less of the pie. Massive club feeling hard done by as they get the same amount as the others in their league despite having 20 million fans. Maybe he should focus more on running the club properly, bringing some stability to the management and getting promoted to their rightful place.......................................

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think he is suggesting a break away from the Football League for the Championship rather than a simple name change.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/oct/10/leeds-owner-premier-league-two-replace-championship

The Leeds owner, Andrea Radrizzani, has called for a Premier League Two, saying the Championship does not make enough TV money for the division to be sustainable, which condemns its clubs to repeated crisis and takeovers.

Maybe it'll go down slightly better than when Bolton suggested it last time around.

Bolton (Gartside) suggested a closed door PL, rather than PL2.

Leeds never proposed PL2 when they were in L1, so far as I can recall.

I don't have any issue with PL2 , so long as there is still promotion / relegation from the league below, but don't really see how it changes anything? Will any TV company will be queuing up to throw money at what is essentially just another rebranding of Division Two?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We are already in Premier League 2. Keep up.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/oct/10/leeds-owner-premier-league-two-replace-championship

The Leeds owner, Andrea Radrizzani, has called for a Premier League Two, saying the Championship does not make enough TV money for the division to be sustainable, which condemns its clubs to repeated crisis and takeovers.

Maybe it'll go down slightly better than when Bolton suggested it last time around.

Hmmm also because that way Leeds can actually be part of it, without that silly business of having to try to get promoted.

el punal

Oh how my heart bleeds. If a club is properly run from top to bottom (like us!) and doesn’t get involved with multiple changes of ownership, paying exorbitant fees and wages to very average players, sacks managers every few months, then, they might reap the rewards of promotion. Forgive the slight arrogance here, but many have commented on how we are the template for being a successful club. As a supporter I feel incredibly proud and thankful to be supporting the Albion, more so when I look at the travails and frailties of other so called “big clubs”.

Oct 25, 2003
I guess the idea is that a league called “Premier League 2” or whatever can piggy back a bit off the Premier League “brand” globally and attract a bit more moolah in that way. You can sell any old shit if it’s marketed properly. Remember those “fan parks” they had in India last season for our game with Everton? You could probably get that for Barnsley vs Millwall as long as you branded it as a Premier League game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I think they should propose merging the PL and championship into a 44 team Super League. Then they could play 3 times a week (to include cup games) for 46 weeks a year. I'm sure that Sky will claim it's 'what the fans want' and, of course, these footballers just love playing instead of training.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I want to know where this extra revenue will come from. The Big Boys in the PL already want a bigger slice of pie.

Even for European Champions.

Talking of that, Villa will probably jump on this bandwagon.

#deludedoncebigclubs

Well assuming Sky and BT don't want to double what they currently pay just for the chance to screen Brentford v Millwall (and as you say the big clubs already want an even bigger slice of the current pie) I'm guessing the likes of Leeds and Villa will come up with an 'ingenious' plan to split the TV revenue using a complex formula based on trophies won, years spent in the top division and average crowd size dating back to 1900.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think it's a great idea.

They should expand it into a premier league 3 and 4 too. Maybe with the bottom one or two teams in Premier league 4 getting relegated into the conference and replaced by teams from there.

I like it, I'm all in.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well assuming Sky and BT don't want to double what they currently pay just for the chance to screen Brentford v Millwall (and as you say the big clubs already want an even bigger slice of the current pie) I'm guessing the likes of Leeds and Villa will come up with an 'ingenious' plan to split the TV revenue using a complex formula based on trophies won, years spent in the top division and average crowd size dating back to 1900.

His proposals will probably be for something like two 16-team PL divisions, cutting off the Championship CHAFF, and probably to pull up the trap-door. Same old selfish greed that we've heard fifty times before, that would ultimately kill off half of the clubs in the country.

That said, I doubt there is an owner in British football who knows more about TV rights than Radzziani. Maybe he has a workable plan, that doesn't shit on the lower divisions.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Perhaps someone should point him gently in the direction of ITV Digital, and what happened to those bozo's when they tried to sell TV subscriptions for the 2nd Division. They went bust and damn near bankrupted half the league.

What an utter spunktrumpet.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I don't have any issue with PL2 , so long as there is still promotion / relegation from the league below, but don't really see how it changes anything? Will any TV company will be queuing up to throw money at what is essentially just another rebranding of Division Two?

Well yes. Essentially it means Leeds, who Sky show frequently, keep more of the TV money.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
There's already a premier League 2, it's called the championship.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here