Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] SPOILER ALERT. Upstart crow

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I know this programme isn't everyone's cup of tea, as my lady wife will testify, but I have been watching it on catchup when there has been nothing else's on, and I have got into it!

For a OU course I did I read about the relationship between Marlowe and Shakespeare and the rivalry around that time, so I knew a bit about the characterisations in the show, but I always thought it was a clever adaptation of how Shakespeare would have lived using today's thinking, but his use of language. And personally I thought it was brilliant, especially the bits about travelling from London to the midlands by coach and him explaining the horrors as if it wasn't modern day rail travel.

Anyway, David Mitchell plays WS and Liza Tarbuck his wife and the last episode of series 3 was built around WS failing in the London theatre awards and a dispute around his wife and him attending hamnet, his son's confirmation. Anyway he comes back from the awards and it wa s brilliant comedy to be told, whilst in mid rant about the coach travel that his son Hanlet had died from the plague!

I don't think I have ever seen such a twist in a show ( it was actually real so not really a twist) and the last 10 minutes of the programme was a very difficult watch, but absolutely brilliant acting especially Liza Tarbuck's lines concerning the existence of God and if they will ever see their son again in " heaven"

Seemly in real life, if was the death of his son turned his life and made him turn to writing more tragedies.

It is very blackadderish. Written by ben Elton and I suppose it could have ben compared to the final scene when blackadder and the team went " over the top"

Anyway, if you do watch it I hope you also were moved by it. It was a brilliant series. IMHO.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Thanks, have seen some episodes but had forgotten all about it, good fun when I've seen it and a rare mainstream sit-com these days.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I've watched it from the start and think it's the funniest thing since Blackadder. And that final episode was very moving.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I haven't watched this but was thinking I might give it a go.

Have you read Bill Bryson's Shakespeare? Brilliant book. Particularly like his evocation of London life at the time.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
It is good, easily the best thing Ben Elton's done in years. David Mitchell is brilliant. And yes, working in the death of Shakespeare's only son Hamnet gave it a touch of realism.

Up until quite recently (when I went to Stratford-on-Avon this year in fact) I didn't even know Shakespeare had had a son who had died young, much less his name. When I saw there was a character called Hamnet I wondered if they'd bump him off.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I haven't watched this but was thinking I might give it a go.

Have you read Bill Bryson's Shakespeare? Brilliant book. Particularly like his evocation of London life at the time.

I haven't but I'll check it out. Haven't ready any Bill Bryson in years but have enjoyed his work in the past.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Gave a few episodes a go ages back and it was decent...... might have to try and get back into the series and do more of it. Cheers for the reminder.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Brilliant stuff - each series has got better, this series has really raised the bar, and the final episode was very moving. Definitely worth binge-watching if you haven't seen it all.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I haven't but I'll check it out. Haven't ready any Bill Bryson in years but have enjoyed his work in the past.

It's fantastic. Highly recommend it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here