Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Drone recommendations

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Hello all,

Looking into getting a drone and was wondering if NSC's finest could offer some advice around this.

Basically, looking for one that is relatively cheap (especially as I'm a novice in this sort of thing) and one where I can mount a GoPro.

From a simple Google search it seems I am asking a lot but if anyone can point to me in the right direction that'll be great.

In terms of a budget, I would say south of £200.

:cheers:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Be careful with it. I had some knob crash one into me at the start of the summer. It hit my upper arm; bloody painful it was.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I purchased (or was purchased) a Mavic Air for my 50th. Wonderful drone.

Edit. Ah, just seen your budget. The Air is a little dear.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Be careful with it. I had some knob crash one into me at the start of the summer. It hit my upper arm; bloody painful it was.

Was probably breaching current regulations in that case.......

".................according to UK laws regulated by the Civil Aviation Authority, consumer drones (classed as those that weigh under 20kg) must be flown no higher than 400 feet (120 metres), and be kept at least 50 metres away from people and private property, and 150 metres from congested areas and organised open-air assemblies of more than 1,000 people"

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/uk-drone-laws-2018-3146402

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Was probably breaching current regulations in that case.......

".................according to UK laws regulated by the Civil Aviation Authority, consumer drones (classed as those that weigh under 20kg) must be flown no higher than 400 feet (120 metres), and be kept at least 50 metres away from people and private property, and 150 metres from congested areas and organised open-air assemblies of more than 1,000 people"

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/uk-drone-laws-2018-3146402

It was over here, but I imagine same principle holds. I was at a craft beer do and standing near the landing spot for the drone photographer guy. He completely ****ed up the landing and the drone hit me and a friend. It hit us unaware from the side at arm height; being summer we were both in tees. The drone itself wasn’t travelling fast but the blades were at full speed and left a stinging pain, weals and a small amount of blood. We didn’t kick off....had the event not had a free bar, with 20 different brewers and 40 taps maybe I wouldn’t have been so sanguine.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It was over here, but I imagine same principle holds. I was at a craft beer do and standing near the landing spot for the drone photographer guy. He completely ****ed up the landing and the drone hit me and a friend. It hit us unaware from the side at arm height; being summer we were both in tees. The drone itself wasn’t travelling fast but the blades were at full speed and left a stinging pain, weals and a small amount of blood. We didn’t kick off....had the event not had a free bar, with 20 different brewers and 40 taps maybe I wouldn’t have been so sanguine.

....well that's ruined the 'wouldn't happen in......' line :D

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Serious question here. What is the point of them from a hobbyist point of view?

You can get some pretty stunning aerial film and pics from them, if you know what you're doing.

I went to my niece's wedding a few weeks back over in Devon. The photographer took them down to the beach for some pics, then flew a drone a little way out to sea, then came swooping back in to take aerial photos of them on the beach, and of the venue in the background. I've not seen the results yet, but I'd imagine they'll be fairly spectacular and dramatic.

And expensive.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
1068657534.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here