Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Cardiff City appeal against Joe Ralls red card - Why?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The only reason I can think of for appealing this red card, is it will mean with the extended ban for a frivolous appeal that Warnock won't have to select the player for at least 4 games rather than 3

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The only reason I can think of for appealing this red card, is it will mean with the extended ban for a frivolous appeal that Warnock won't have to select the player for at least 4 games rather than 3

Same reason we have appealed many of the 'borderline' red cards I guess ? They won't get an extra game for appealing that

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I thought it was a yellow personally

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh I know the answer to this but can't be bothered to find the link.

After the game Colin outlined his criteria for what constitutes a red card when he said:-

"It's not a red card, it's not like my player killed anyone'.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Final Score reporter said it was a harsh red card then I saw who the ref was and wasn’t surprised. He really is a look at me shit ref. Definite yellow and he is only just over the half way line not near goal, cynical yes, but not a red card for me. Players do that all the time, even Albion ones. We tend to call it “taking one for the team” :smile:

Last edited:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
The Final Score reporter said it was a harsh red card then I saw who the ref was and wasn’t surprised. He really is a look at me shit ref. Definite yellow and he is only just over the half way line, cynical yes but not a red card for me.

He was going to pull out a yellow but the Spurs players surrounded him. Sounds familiar ? Knocking the card out of his hand ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just watch it back. We all understand the 'taking a yellow for the team' scenario, when a player wants to prevent the other side breaking. He had the opportunity to do that that problem, by dragging his arm back as he went by. He chooses instead to lunge at him - completely unnecessary risk to the opponent.

100% a straight red. Can't believe they've appealed it.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I thought it was a red, violent conduct as he hacked him down. Rooney got done a couple of years ago for a similar cynical hack. And The Shyster was right to book Kane too for getting involved.

FWIW the 4th game would be against us.

PG

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Final Score reporter said it was a harsh red card then I saw who the ref was and wasn’t surprised. He really is a look at me shit ref. Definite yellow and he is only just over the half way line not near goal, cynical yes, but not a red card for me. Players do that all the time, even Albion ones. We tend to call it “taking one for the team” :smile:

Didn't we have more 'take one for the team' than is actually healthy, on Friday.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012

It looked pretty vicious to me...…….
……… but then I'm a wimp.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
100% red and not the first time he has made a ridiculous challenge. I was amazed to see that in the premier league, normally the sort of thing I only see in the Southampton Sunday league. Cardiff shouldn't be anywhere near the top division if Colin is prepared to defend that. That is a frivolous appeal if ever there was one.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I’m genuinely amazed people on here are trying to argue that it’s not a red card.

If someone had done that to Knockaert at The Amex and the ref had only given him a yellow I think I would probably have a brain aneurysm right there on the spot. F*cking ludicrous challenge.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

One of the more obvious instances of the law being applied correctly.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

This, a red all day long.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Agreed. Can't believe it is even a debate.

Stupid thing to do that could have injured another player. Why not just pull his shirt or something like that?

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014

I expect that this will be sactioned as Violent Conduct rather than Serious Foul Play as he was not challenging for the ball - this makes the level of force necessary for a red card much lower. He has effectively just kicked someone off the ball - red card all the way.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here