Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Eight games in

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
A long way to go but, interesting to see how the table is panning out at this early stage.

There’s now a 4 point gap between, us and Burnley on 8 points to Leicester and Everton on 12. I’m going to guess that this gap will continue to grow, the bottom 8 teams, (us Burnley, Palace, Soton, Fulham, Newcastle, Cardiff and Hudds) will remain the bottom 8 teams. This would mean we’re in a mini-league of 8 teams and have to finish in the top 5 of that.

You could also look at Hudds and Cardiff’s goal difference as a pretty good form indicator that they’ll struggle to keep up with the pace, (though it’s pretty early to be writing them off).

Up the top, i’d also be surprised if the current top 4, City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal aren’t the top 4 in May. I’d guess that order as well.

How do you see it?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Spurs are the only side who could break into your top 4 and I agree with ......its probably Cardiff, Huddersfield and one other.
If Palace don’t sign anyone they could easily be that one other.
I’d plump for Saints though.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Palace will get out of it and finish above us.

I agree that Cardiff and Huddersfield are early favourites for the drop, but Fulham could be 'other' if they don't stop shipping goals. Doesn't matter how many they score at the other end if they keep conceding like they are. It could all change and usually does when one team strings a few results together. Any of the current bottom 12 could easily find themselves in the bottom 3 come the end of the season.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Could be a low points total needed to stay up. Look at the table this point last season.

30pts looks like enough going by current form

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I look at those bottom 8 sides and 5 of them have a goalscoring talisman who will make the difference between struggling and survival IMO.

Brighton = Murray
Palace = Zaha
Burnley = Well they sort of have 3 so they’ll be ok
Fulham = Mitrovic
Southampton = Austin

Newcastle, Hudds and Cardiff don’t have an inspirational goal getter in the same way. Which is why I think it will be those 3 for the chop.

Of course, those strikers could lose form, or there could be an injury, (Austin and Zaha don’t have the greatest injury records and Muzza is 35) Any one of those teams could also recruit well in January or just manage to spread the goals around effectively ….. But I don’t think so. Lack of firepower to decide tight games will decide it

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Could be a low points total needed to stay up. Look at the table this point last season.

30pts looks like enough going by current form

That’s my view.

Newcastle I think will end being clearly better than Hudd and Cardiff. Which isn’t difficult!

It will still be a rollercoaster for the Albion, but we’ve got a load of difficult games out of the way, and seem to getting our act together.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Palace will get out of it and finish above us.

I agree that Cardiff and Huddersfield are early favourites for the drop, but Fulham could be 'other' if they don't stop shipping goals. Doesn't matter how many they score at the other end if they keep conceding like they are. It could all change and usually does when one team strings a few results together. Any of the current bottom 12 could easily find themselves in the bottom 3 come the end of the season.

Palace always manage to get their shit together and avoid the drop. Always.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Southampton are reminding me of Stoke. Their game today was not on TV, they were playing a top 6 team, yet there were empty seats all over the ground. If the crowd stop caring then it's a one way trip.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Southampton are reminding me of Stoke. Their game today was not on TV, they were playing a top 6 team, yet there were empty seats all over the ground. If the crowd stop caring then it's a one way trip.

It was on Sky

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Palace always manage to get their shit together and avoid the drop. Always.

until the season they dont. didnt do anything to strengthen did they? only be saved by others being worse.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Would it be too early to say how things will pan out? Too early to say.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Fulham shipping 21 goals already despite spending over £100m in the summer window.

Palace can't score a goal at home despite playing some pretty average teams. They'll spawn it again, or maybe they will finally run out of luck. They are shit after all.

Huddersfield just can't score and seem to have been found out with their pressing game and no plan B.

Southampton have Mark Hughes in charge.

Newcastle are a total mess but they have Rafa. He leaves, they're screwed.

West Ham are a toxic disaster of a club but they've also spent ridiculous amounts of money. Hit and miss.

Cardiff are rubbish. Craig Bellamy was saying today that "we" will be ok with getting relegated if they don't screw things up financially and can bounce back.

I think we'll be ok.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Feb 9, 2012
perth
Having watched the Burnley v Hudds game on Saturday, I'd be far more worried this year as a Burnley fan - at best they looked like a very poor Championship team and made Hudds look like Citeh.

The fact Hudds didnt win it at a canter only highlights their main flaw of being unable to score

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Having watched the Burnley v Hudds game on Saturday, I'd be far more worried this year as a Burnley fan - at best they looked like a very poor Championship team and made Hudds look like Citeh.

The fact Hudds didnt win it at a canter only highlights their main flaw of being unable to score

I agree, Burnley have looked very very poor. But Dyche will have them scrapping madly and I think they'll survive. I hope Southampton go down, along with Hudds and Cardiff who I think will both win the race to the bottom.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
So did Sunderland.
This is Palace though, and we've seen them go from doomed to safety. Yes, their luck might run out at some point.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here