Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lewis Dunk: 'My ambition for now is to make it as a pro'

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
16-y-o Dunk interview with The Guardian in 2008:

"My ambition for now is to make it as a pro," he says, reservedly. But surely he allows himself to dream? "I've not really thought about it." Would he have the mental strength to cope with 40,000 fans on his back? "I think so. If you're going through a rough period in a game, how you deal with it is what's really important. It's what really matters."

All here >>> https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/feb/20/brighton

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/brighton/9006304.stm

Gus may have been lots of things, but he was pretty on the money with Dunk, both in his early assessment of his ability/potential, and the faith he showed in him when El-Abd got injured ahead of that first season at the Amex. He played a crucial part in Lewis’ development, no doubting it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Great find, so interesting to read 10 years on. Had a read of the comments too. This one really shows how quickly things can change in sport:

'Without our very fine youth system we may not have a club to support bearing in mind last night was our lowest league attendance at the awful Withdean stadium. The sooner we get Falmer the more chance we have of keeping our best youth products. Over the past 5 years we have sold on Zamora, Virgo, Harding, Knight, Kazim-Richards Danny Cullip, Darren Currie & more recently Dean Hammond all for vast profits without this additional income I fear we would be down with Bournemouth & Luton in administration.'

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I remember his debut at MK.

Me too. I got in just in time for kick off and assumed it was Tommy Elphick playing at the back, it wasn't until much later that I found out it was a debutant centre back. What a debut, you'd never have guessed he hadn't played that standard before. Top player, deserves the call up.

It doesn't seem all that long ago we were driving him to Fulham for their £5million though!

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Great find, so interesting to read 10 years on. Had a read of the comments too. This one really shows how quickly things can change in sport:

'Without our very fine youth system we may not have a club to support bearing in mind last night was our lowest league attendance at the awful Withdean stadium. The sooner we get Falmer the more chance we have of keeping our best youth products. Over the past 5 years we have sold on Zamora, Virgo, Harding, Knight, Kazim-Richards Danny Cullip, Darren Currie & more recently Dean Hammond all for vast profits without this additional income I fear we would be down with Bournemouth & Luton in administration.'

I also like the comment about Murray scoring - more than 10 years on and some things don't change!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Me too. I got in just in time for kick off and assumed it was Tommy Elphick playing at the back, it wasn't until much later that I found out it was a debutant centre back. What a debut, you'd never have guessed he hadn't played that standard before. Top player, deserves the call up.

It doesn't seem all that long ago we were driving him to Fulham for their £5million though!

Tommy Elphick was the other CB that day, and they looked quite similar, so from a distance it was hard to tell them apart.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
He's one of my favourites.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
"Lew-Du" never caught on, luckily. (Suggested in comments)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I remember his debut at MK.

So do I. Terrific performance, in a terrible, dull match. His debut was the bright spot. At the end we clapped them off, and as we were packing up to leave, I said to the big bald guy in the seat directly behind me, how well the new lad had coped. He agreed and grinned - and introduced himself as Dunk's dad :thumbsup:

Tommy Elphick was the other CB that day, and they looked quite similar, so from a distance it was hard to tell them apart.

Elphick was terrific that day, nursing Dunk through - as Dunk himself made clear in his comments after the game.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

You? Almost being late for something? Surely not...

Don't ever change, Ninja :lol:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Mad to think he only had 4 Championship starts as short a time ago as 2013/14 season.

He wasn't even in the matchday squad many times.

Glad he stayed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mad to think he only had 4 Championship starts as short a time ago as 2013/14 season.

He wasn't even in the matchday squad many times.

Glad he stayed.

One of the hardest jobs in football:-

Becoming a first choice centre back for Brighton.

It would seem any chump of the street can be singed as first choice centre forward.

Oct 25, 2003
Does Sami Hyypia deserve some credit here? Probably the only good thing he did but Dunk didn’t play much under Garcia but Upson left that summer and Sami put Dunk in. To be honest he was one of the only players who performed well in the Hyypia era- perhaps Dunk learnt a lot from the former Centre Back.

You’ve also got to admire Dunk for his determination to bounce back from a troubling off field period, losing his place in the team and (as I remember it) a fairly unsuccessful loan period at Bristol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
One of the hardest jobs in football:-

Becoming a first choice centre back for Brighton.

It would seem any chump of the street can be singed as first choice centre forward.

Glenn Murray must be a chump then. #neverwrong.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:rolleyes:

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
So do I. Terrific performance, in a terrible, dull match. His debut was the bright spot. At the end we clapped them off, and as we were packing up to leave, I said to the big bald guy in the seat directly behind me, how well the new lad had coped. He agreed and grinned - and introduced himself as Dunk's dad :thumbsup:

Elphick was terrific that day, nursing Dunk through - as Dunk himself made clear in his comments after the game.

Yep. Big Gordon also did a great job talking Lewis through games, first season at the Amex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here