Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Palace] #cpfc

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good luck with that but don’t hang around waiting for a “normal” response on this lovely sunny day.

Best to just try and fathom whether it’s a male or female answering

It would seem after a 9 then 10 man defeat, the easiest way to clear palace from this board is asking to a normal conversation.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Your first point is irrelevant and clutching at straws (bit like your recruitment policy).

Do I want to have a bet that a team spending half the amount on player salaries will get relegated before the other?

You really don't get it.

Chucking money at players year on year will probably keep you up longer than us but is a huge gamble with the future of your club. You either don't care or you're closing your eyes to it.

The first point is not irrelevant at all, in fact it is totally relevant. Either you don't want to see it or your brain is not up to it, commiserations.
The longer you are in this league the higher the wage bill. We had to spend big money to keep Zaha and also to try and bring in a decent level of player. It hasn't always worked but if you don't try you will l stagnate, we haven't advanced but we had a go. Not all signings work out, not all players can be adequately replaced. When Murray is too old you lot really need to hope, because strikers like him are hard to come by. We could have let Zaha just go but we could not have replaced him. Yes Meyer cost a lot but then again he was a highly thought of prospect, he's not a bad player actually. Batshuayi will be worth it if he helps us finish just two places higher, after only seeing him for ten minutes I think thats highly probable. Sakho was expensive, but I really think he was worth it. He is a brilliant defender, I'm sure you will all disagree as he plays for us but he really is.
Clubs like Palace have to pay over the odds to attract good players, especially as we have no chance of trophies.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Anyway I'm off out, the offer of a 1k bet is on the table. With your infrastructure, world class facilities, wonderful youth teams, outstanding stadium, top notch recruitment and brilliant leadership it's easy money, naturally.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
The first point is not irrelevant at all, in fact it is totally relevant. Either you don't want to see it or your brain is not up to it, commiserations.
The longer you are in this league the higher the wage bill. We had to spend big money to keep Zaha and also to try and bring in a decent level of player. It hasn't always worked but if you don't try you will l stagnate, we haven't advanced but we had a go. Not all signings work out, not all players can be adequately replaced. When Murray is too old you lot really need to hope, because strikers like him are hard to come by. We could have let Zaha just go but we could not have replaced him. Yes Meyer cost a lot but then again he was a highly thought of prospect, he's not a bad player actually. Batshuayi will be worth it if he helps us finish just two places higher, after only seeing him for ten minutes I think thats highly probable. Sakho was expensive, but I really think he was worth it. He is a brilliant defender, I'm sure you will all disagree as he plays for us but he really is.
Clubs like Palace have to pay over the odds to attract good players, especially as we have no chance of trophies.

Just been looking for Zaha on this list, he must be on it seeing as you had to spend so much to keep him from moving on.I can see with his mighty goal tally why he is so hard to replace. I see all your other strikers seem to have been missed off it as well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/top-scorers

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Not just about being up the table it is about using the premier league money towards putting in place a structure and facilities that makes it more likely for you to compete to return to the premier league when one season you end up falling through the trap door.

Palace however seem to prefer the approach of bundling 70-80% of that income into player and agents pockets which will make it far more difficult to bounce back should you drop out the division. It all seems a bit short term from a strategy point of view and at some point that £120m stand will need funding which I am guessing is not being paid by a generous owner.

I think the general perception of Brighton fans is you would all be a bit more concerned about that situation given you are a club that has gone to the brink in administration twice. But no you are all on here telling us that’s what it takes to survive at this level despite there being a whole string of clubs spending considerably less that your lot

All valid points, and I’ll try to answer some.
The 70% income spent on wages is something that’s being rectified, with approximately £150 k a week being saved in this window, and I can see at least one of the top earners being sold in the summer ( Sakho or Zaha, but hopefully Benteke)
But didn’t you spend MORE on wages than your total income in a couple of seasons in the Championship? double standards me thinks ?
The academy has got a great new base opposite our existing training complex in Beckenham, so hopefully we can gain Cat 1 status in the not to distant future, and really tap into the rich vein of South London prospects.
We’re having a few hiccups with the new stand, which don’t seem insurmountable, and progress may be seen soon.p
Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The 70% income spent on wages is something that’s being rectified, with approximately £150 k a week being saved in this window, and I can see at least one of the top earners being sold in the summer ( Sakho or Zaha, but hopefully Benteke)
But didn’t you spend MORE on wages than your total income in a couple of seasons in the Championship? double standards me thinks ?
The academy has got a great new base opposite our existing training complex in Beckenham, so hopefully we can gain Cat 1 status in the not to distant future, and really tap into the rich vein of South London prospects.
We’re having a few hiccups with the new stand, which don’t seem insurmountable, and progress may be seen soon.p

Championship and Premier League finances are impossible to compare. (unless you're a palace fan)

What are your feelings towards the new stand?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Wow absolutely hilarious. After winning a couple of games palace fans deluded into thinking they're world beaters again.

Owners blatantly don't want to spend any money on transfers and they've made a pointless expensive loan signing until the end of the season. Let's face it if he does well for you will have zero chance of keeping him next season. A bigger club like wolves or Everton will sign him. If he does badly, money down the shi*er once again. Lose/lose

Favourite post is the one where they think that someone will actually take benteke off their hands. Face it lads benteke will never in a million years go elsewhere and take a pay cut.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Clubs like Palace are the reason wages are so inflated. They're saving £150k a week on wages? They just spunked that on Batshit.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I find the willy waving tiresome, nearly all clubs in the Championship have wages that exceed income due to the nature of the division.

Palace 2013 Income Wages.png

Palace have shown some form recently and fair play to them for that. You pay considerable higher wages than the Albion because there's no wage structure as such, which is fine so long as the 'star' players deliver, but it can cause resentment when you have the likes of Benteke and Meyer on £100k a week plus and others in the dressing room who are busting a gut are on a fraction of that.

My understanding at the Albion is that they have a wage structure such that the first team regulars are on a relatively tight range within £5k a week of one another, good for team spirit but it does mean that we are not in the same market as Palace when it comes to recruiting 'star' players, and that has pluses and minuses, clearly Tony Bloom and Steve Parish have a different philosophy on this one.

I have mates who are Palace fans, we both want each other to lose every match, but we have more in common with each other than we do with the armchair bellends who 'support' United, Liverpool, Chelsea and so on. We're also mature enough to discuss the merits and demerits (most think that whilst Parish is Palace through and through his desire to be loved by the HF hoodie brigade has done the club as a whole no favours).

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Palace can carry on as far as I’m concerned, all clubs our size will be relegated eventually..........

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
We are trying to get better players and hold onto our good players. It's easy for you lot to keep hold of someone like knockaert or March, but other teams would actually want Zaha. We cannot get by offering 20k a week and a bag of chips.

Not really working for you is it as for all that money you are lining players pockets with you in a comparable league position to us.

March is cheap I am sure but give me him over mercenaries like Benteke what was it £30m and picking a a fair wedge each week as well. We are all looking on with envy. Agents must love your club nobody else will pay those wages for these mercenaries but there are palace at the end of every window with the treasure chest wide open.

Ah and the Wilf myth a player with the same goals and assists as our centre half. What is it now 4-5 transfers windows and still at Palace. We all know when the big clubs come calling the top players leave clubs like ours they are just not calling are they.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Yeah Solly March, terrific player. Wanted by, erm erm, I will have to get back to you on that.

Solly March, our player with more than double the assists that GOAT Zaha has managed this season, and, we have a centre back as many goals.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Level headed? It's you who said we should be way ahead of you and mentioned we had been here longer. Therefore when you have been here another five years, you should be way up the table. But it's just not like that in this division, you need bucke loads of cash or something to click and even then it won't be long term as those with bucket loads will just take your best players.
I'm not jealous of your stadium etc, as I have said I spend roughly two hours there a fortnight. I'm really not jealous of your academy, not a chance.
What about our scouting and recruitment?

The thing we have over you is our infrastructure is in place so if we will have the money for the higher wages. We are slowly growing not throwing money at journeyman after journeyman and find ourselves with a higher wages/income ratio.

Your strategy is to luck your way through the league but there is only one way that's goes when the luck runs out..

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
"What do you actually think about the new stand?"

"Is that the time, must dash, toodles"

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Net Spend since June 2016 (£).

Man City: 343m
Man Utd: 310m
Chelsea: 203m
Everton: 160m
Arsenal: 148m
Brighton: 130m
Wolves: 124m
West Ham: 112m
Bourn: 104m
Fulham: 101m
CPFC: 85m
Hudd: 81m
LCFC: 76m
LFC: 73m
Burnley: 49m
Watford: 41m
Spurs: 31m
#NUFC: 4m
Southampton: -10m
______

Absolutely laughable selective snapshot, which I can see has already been utterly ripped to shreds on here, so there's little more to add. Did you SERIOUSLY think when you tapped that out that it was in any way a cohesive or perceptive observation ?

Astonishing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here